Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Hay in the North East of England

  1. #1
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    479

    Default Hay in the North East of England

    I bought my last lot of hays from The Hay Experts (which I am very happy with). I have noticed that there are members of this forum based in the north east and I was wondering if any of those members get their hay from local farms etc. as I cannot seem to find anywhere near me who sells hay.

    Our bunnies love the oat hay, orchard grass but we also have 1st and 2nd cut timothy hay and meadow hay.

    If I thought I could get all these from somehwere local it could maybe end up costing a bit less than what it did online.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for something that is good for our bunnies but saving money is not a bad thinh either, is it!!

  2. #2
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Surely someone out there must be able to help me.

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran oscarbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    7,708

    Default

    Hello, when you say North East, whereabouts in the north east?

    Most farms would probably let you buy a bale of meadow hay.... just pop over to one where there is a farm shop and ask... or phone around.

    I buy from www.dustfreehay.co.uk - giant bale... as its the only stuff they will actually eat. I dont buy it by the bale, but will probably try and get a bale for when it gets colder, to use for bedding.


    I've pledged a 1 per month to rescues, will you too?
    Every makes a difference, please pledge here: (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=235259)

    Oscar and Polo, I miss you so very much. xx

  4. #4
    Mama Doe bunny_burrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Durham, England
    Posts
    3,428

    Default

    I just get my hay from a pet shop in Langley Moor - the hay is really good quality and apparently very tastey. I'm sure you could get hay from a farm though - go ask around at livery yards and places.

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran AlisonA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Swimming in trifle
    Posts
    9,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oscarbunny View Post
    I buy from www.dustfreehay.co.uk - giant bale... as its the only stuff they will actually eat. I dont buy it by the bale, but will probably try and get a bale for when it gets colder, to use for bedding.
    I buy a lot from there too - my buns love it and if you can stretch to buying a bundle of 10 in one go, it works out at 4 a bag which isn't too bad. I can thoroughly recommend their barley straw too, it's absolutely fantastic quality, very soft and would make excellent winter bedding.

    Incidentally although on the website you can only order either 10 hay or 10 straw, or 5 of each, if you email at the same time as you order, you can switch it around as much as you like - the limitation is on the website not on what mix you can have - I just ordered 5 of each online but emailed and asked for 7 hay 3 straw and that is what arrived

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran oscarbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    7,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonA View Post
    I buy a lot from there too - my buns love it and if you can stretch to buying a bundle of 10 in one go, it works out at 4 a bag which isn't too bad. I can thoroughly recommend their barley straw too, it's absolutely fantastic quality, very soft and would make excellent winter bedding.

    Incidentally although on the website you can only order either 10 hay or 10 straw, or 5 of each, if you email at the same time as you order, you can switch it around as much as you like - the limitation is on the website not on what mix you can have - I just ordered 5 of each online but emailed and asked for 7 hay 3 straw and that is what arrived
    The buns wouldnt eat the barley straw if i ordered some for bedding would they? What do you think is better value... you GIANT bags, or 10 smaller bags??


    I've pledged a 1 per month to rescues, will you too?
    Every makes a difference, please pledge here: (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=235259)

    Oscar and Polo, I miss you so very much. xx

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grays, Essex
    Posts
    13,426

    Default

    I have just started using dustfree hay as well , works out cheaper than most "specalist" hays and my buns love it, I like the fact it comes in hessian sacks too



    My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran oscarbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    7,708

    Default

    Theres Timothy hay on there too, 10 bags for 50 which is 5 a bag
    does anyone know how big these are?


    I've pledged a 1 per month to rescues, will you too?
    Every makes a difference, please pledge here: (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...d.php?t=235259)

    Oscar and Polo, I miss you so very much. xx

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran AlisonA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Swimming in trifle
    Posts
    9,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oscarbunny View Post
    The buns wouldnt eat the barley straw if i ordered some for bedding would they? What do you think is better value... you GIANT bags, or 10 smaller bags??
    They might munch on a bit of it - it doesn't matter if they do - but I doubt they'd eat that much of it, the hay smells too lovely and tempting. Even the courier commented on how good it smelt

    Not sure whether the big bag or little ones are better value, I just prefer the convenience of the smaller bags, easier to stack up and store, and to only carry one bag around to do the refill.

  10. #10
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Thanks to you all for answering. I'm in Northumberland and I have tried many farms in my area (within a reasonable distance) but most of them keep the hay for themselves - I do buy a large bale of straw from a nearby farm and it is only 1.00. It is a beautiful golden colour and lovely and soft and the length of the pieces is nice and small - the bunnies love it (not for eating but for laying on).

    Thing I may try the dust free stuff - do they sell oat hay as my bunnies love that.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •