• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcess?

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Can anyone tell me what the start of an abcess looks like please? Also, how are they 'caused'? Hoping im just paranoid :( Xx

An abcess is just an infection that's contained under the skin - a bit like a spot really but bigger! The abcess needs to be 'popped' with a needle or lanced so the pus can be flushed out as they're usually self-contained so difficult to heal without interference. Once it's been flushed out it needs to be kept open but clean to allow it to heal without the infection being trapped under the skin again. Antibiotics are usually given to help fight from the inside and prevent spread of infection then topical treatments like Hibiscrub or Manuka honey can be used on the open abcess
Usually it's caused by bacteria getting in through a wound - e.g. a bite may cause bacteria already on the skin to be pushed into the wound and as the skin heals over the bacteria stays inside and forms an abcess.
Things like root infections can go on to cause jaw abcesses etc too and are usually the more problematic ones due to having a different cause - you'd need to be able to treat the tooth problems or the abcess would probably keep reoccuring.
General abcesses on the body aren't too much to worry about but need to be treated quickly and aggressively to prevent the infection spreading to the bloodstream and causing septicemia

Where is the abscess?

Rabbit abscesses are particularly difficult to treat because they are normally filled with a very hard, paste-like substance which is difficult to drain and not easily pentrated by antibiotics. Therefore the best treatment in rabbits is to remove the abscess altogether.

Whether this is possible depends very much on where the abscess is, the aftercare can be quite difficult and it is never guaranteed that the abscess will not come back. Having said that I've had one bunny with an ear abscess who has had it removed and she has recovered very well with no sign of the abscess returning as yet. I have another bunny who has just had the same op so she is starting on the aftercare now... Helen

Thanks for replies :) Jens had a poorly eye (sort of around her eye) and theres now a lump. I dont know if its an abcess tbh, sometimes I think it must be then 5 minutes later I look again and think no its not! :roll: At the vets again tomorrow eve so should be sorted then whatever it is Xx

Thanks for replies :) Jens had a poorly eye (sort of around her eye) and theres now a lump. I dont know if its an abcess tbh, sometimes I think it must be then 5 minutes later I look again and think no its not! :roll: At the vets again tomorrow eve so should be sorted then whatever it is Xx
I'm playing catch up here and see a week has gone by since you first noticed this. Did the Vet say it could possibly me an abscess and what did he/she give you for it?

Back