• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD jab reaction - update - been to the vet

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Do anybody else's buns react badly to the VHD jab? Evo had his last night and he is very subdued today. He will eat hay but not anything else. He's very sleepy too. It happens every year, but I still worry.

Last edited:
I have just had to sit there and feed him individual strands of hay. :roll: I always book the jab the day before I have a day off so I can sort him out. I would have been panicking a bit more if I hadn't expected it though.

If he's not perked up by this evening, I'll pop him up the vets for a bit of metoclopramide, they are normally very good at squeezing him in.

Do anybody else's buns react badly to the VHD jab? Evo had his last night and he is very subdued today. He will eat hay but not anything else. He's very sleepy too. It happens every year, but I still worry.

My previous bunny always had a reaction to his VHD, he would be subdued and off his food, once it lasted for 3 days.
The only time he didn't suffer a reaction was when he was on metacam.
My female bun was never affected by it though.

Hope Evo picks up soon.

I have him booked in for the vets for 3.10 now, but I don't know what to do. :? He's now drinking, eating oats, hay and haycakes, but still turning his nose up at his SS (usually goes mental for it) and has only done 2 poos. Shall I risk upsetting him by taking him to the vet, or see how he is in the morning? I will be out from 7.30 until about midnight tonight.

i know its not rabbits but when we took my moms dog for her first jab the vet warned us itll knock her about a bit, the same was with my cat he werent allowed out for a day after, i guess with any pet/human having a virus put into thier system would cause them to feel a bit off for a day or too... my dad used to have the flu jab and he always got a little cold afterwards.

Alvin has only had one VHD jab so far and he was a bit quiet but hes not a fan of the vets so that too might be what makes them upset as well as the jabs..

Well we went to the vet, just in case it was his teeth rather than the VHD. Teeth were fine, but he has a temperature. Bless. Vet wanted to hold off any treatment until tomorrow, so I have another appointment for the morning in case Evo is not better.

Hope things improve soon. Both of mine were a bit ill after both vaccs, especially VHD

He seems loads better today, went straight for his breakfast etc. He's still a bit quiet, but I'm going to cancel his vet appointment, think he will be more annoyed at being dragged to the vets. :lol:

Albie had a temperature and was very poorly after her VHD jab. She was hospitalised for a few days as she wasn't eating. The vax manufacturer paid for her treatment, as it was such a dramatic reaction, which was good of them. The vet was really good, too, and took it seriously.

Hope your bun perks up soon. If he is eating and passing droppings as normal, he should be fine.

Hiya,

I've not been on for a while, but my last posts were because one of my buns had a really serious reaction to her VHD Jab. she got a big red patch which looked like she'd been scalded, it was sticky n wet and she had to be rushed back to the vets and was on a steroid-based ointment for a fortnight or so. it's all cleared up now, with the exception of the hairloss in that area. My vet has said she doesnt want her to have the VHD jab again as sometimes when they have a reaction, it's worse the next time round! I was really worried, but my bun's okay now. There was a period recently when loads and loads of reports were made about buns having reactions to the VHD jabs, temporary lameness in legs and VHD burns being the worse - this all seemed to be with the Cylap jab - the one which has been around the longest. I've now asked my vet to use the other kind -= Lapinject as there are fewer reported problems with this one apparently. However, this could just be as it's new on the market. Also, my vet said there could be a bad batch as they're going to have to swap over to the lapinject for everyone as apparently the producers of Cylap have had a stock-control problem lately!!! very worrying huh.

I'd say that if your buns always have the same sort of reaction to the VHD jab and this doesn't seem to be any worse each time then just keep and eye on them and they'll be fine as they always have been. The vert told me just watch out for them not eating or pooping properly (your buns eating hay so I wouldnt be too concerned), and check they dont get very high temperatures and they'll be okay :)

hope the bunny / bunnies are feeling better very soon! :)

Hiya,

I've not been on for a while, but my last posts were because one of my buns had a really serious reaction to her VHD Jab. she got a big red patch which looked like she'd been scalded, it was sticky n wet and she had to be rushed back to the vets and was on a steroid-based ointment for a fortnight or so. it's all cleared up now, with the exception of the hairloss in that area. My vet has said she doesnt want her to have the VHD jab again as sometimes when they have a reaction, it's worse the next time round! I was really worried, but my bun's okay now. There was a period recently when loads and loads of reports were made about buns having reactions to the VHD jabs, temporary lameness in legs and VHD burns being the worse - this all seemed to be with the Cylap jab - the one which has been around the longest. I've now asked my vet to use the other kind -= Lapinject as there are fewer reported problems with this one apparently. However, this could just be as it's new on the market. Also, my vet said there could be a bad batch as they're going to have to swap over to the lapinject for everyone as apparently the producers of Cylap have had a stock-control problem lately!!! very worrying huh.

I'd say that if your buns always have the same sort of reaction to the VHD jab and this doesn't seem to be any worse each time then just keep and eye on them and they'll be fine as they always have been. The vert told me just watch out for them not eating or pooping properly (your buns eating hay so I wouldnt be too concerned), and check they dont get very high temperatures and they'll be okay :)

hope the bunny / bunnies are feeling better very soon! :)

He did have a high temperature and the sore red bit, still has the sore red bit now, but is back to normal with his eating, although it did take 5 days.

The vet also suggested next time, to leave a month between the myxi and VHD, rather than 2 weeks, so I will do that next time, and also possibly try the lapinject.

He has reacted to the jab before, but this is the first time it has affected his eating.

Hiya,

There was a period recently when loads and loads of reports were made about buns having reactions to the VHD jabs, temporary lameness in legs and VHD burns being the worse - this all seemed to be with the Cylap jab - the one which has been around the longest. I've now asked my vet to use the other kind -= Lapinject as there are fewer reported problems with this one apparently.

One of my mini lops always has a reaction after Cylap VHD even though my vet didn't want to believe what I was saying. He has had temporary lameness in his hind legs, a huge local reaction to the injection site and after the last one he had neurological problems and his injection site was terrible. I have also heard that Lapinject is better so he'll be having that next time.

Back