• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy Eyes

Squishybunny

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I've just come home from work to find one of my buns Twinkle with quite wet eyes:cry: . They arn't streaming, but the fur is damp under the eye. Its looks clear and quite thin discharge.

I've booked an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning, as I'm terrified its myxi:cry: . She was vaccinated months ago, so I know the outcome may be OK.

Any thoughts on what it could be.

It's great that you've booked him in, but don't worry too much as you just don;t know yet. It could be many things; scratched cornea, blocked tear ducts, teeth probs or snuffles.

Just stay calm and see what the vet has to say :D

Do keep us updated x

If it is myxi, try not to worry too much (easier said than done, i know) if she's been vaccinated, her chances are good.On the other hand (among other things) it could be conjunctavitis, my bun got that when i first had him & frightened the life out of me as he spread it to both eyes while washing his face.You could try bathing her eyes with cooled boiled water to clean them up a bit for her,I hope everything goes well at the vet :)

I know I shouldn't panic, but I would rather look like an over anxious owner than lose her. Her sister would never forgive me if that happened.

I am inclined to take them both to the vets. I know that rabbits can forget their bonded partner if separtated for too long.

The bigger problem is she just isn't hand tame, so she will probably end up hating me in the same way she hates every other person on earth. I have to go through the trauma of catching her and then potentially medicating her everyday.

Hi Squishybunny, just wanted to know what the vet said? I have a bun with the same symptoms and the vet can't figure it out...:(

Good luck with your bun!

The vet said it was a blocked tear duct that had got a little infection in it. She prescribed some drops that have to be put in the eye three times a day for a week. The vet commented that it was probably because she was a lop and the physiology of the lops head means the tear duct is more convoluted than say a dutch, but also said it may be tooth trouble. She recomended I feed Excel or Science Selective to prevent possible tooth trouble in the future.

If the problem persists I will take her to have her teeth checked. The vet also mentioned they could flush the tear ducts, but would have to do it under sedation. They can do the procedure without sedation in very calm rabbit, but Twinkle is a bit of a nutter and would kick up big time so would have to be sedated. I don't want to put her through another sedation just yet, as she was only spayed 6 weeks ago.

At least I know now that it wasn't Myxi and it's nothing to stress about.

I got a proper telling off on the way home, as she kicked the sides of the carrier most of the way back. She isn't particularly trusting and dislikes being handled, so she wasn't impressed by being held for so long and suffering the indignation of having her bottom looked at and her eye drops put in.

I had Floss at the vet yesterday for exactly the same thing. She is quite a nervy rex, but always seems calm, though alert(!) when being examined. She had her tear duct flushed there and then, though he put anaesthetic drops in first. She's on Tiacil twice daily.

Unfortunatley if Twinkle gets it into her head she doesn't want to be held she can be like a wet bar of soap. I don't like grabbing her to restrain her and would worry about her falling. If she is very wriggly I wrap her in a towel to stop her hurting me or herself. She was very good with the vet, but tried to snuggle into my arms as deep as she could get to avoid her.

What do they do when they flush the tear ducts. Is it s tube up the nose or what????

A small tube inserted into the tear duct in the corner of the eye, then a syringe of liquid is pushed through it. Floss had her right eye done and all I had to do was hold her on the table with her left side against me and her bum against my right arm so she couln't move. My right hand curled around the front of her chest and my left hand on her head . The vet was then able to do the proceedure easily. If she'd been too squirmy then the vetinary nurse would have taken over, so try not to worry about it.

Doesn't sound very nice. I think I'll put that procedure off for as long as possible.

I've already trashed my relationship with her, I doubt she would even tolerate the sight of me if I inflicted that to her.

If that's part of the treatment the vet advises then you'll have to go with it. A local anaesthetic is used(eye drops..no injection). This is the 2nd time she's had it done(first time was last October when she had what we thought was some sort of infection, but it turned out to be Nod myxi), and it didn't seem to bother her. I was holding her very close to me, yet when he inserted the tube she neither flinched nor did her heartbeat change. The tiny tube doesn't cut anything on the way in, as it goes into the duct which is like a mini canal. When the liquid came out of her nose there was a tiny amount of pus there so he knew to start treatment right away. If she'd not had it done it may have beeen a day or two before the infection was bad enough to be really noticeable , and a day or two when you are dealing with a rabbit's health is the difference between a minor or a major problem developing.

I would definatley have had it done if the vet had told me so, but my vet said it was an option if the problem persisted. I have to go back if it doesn't clear up with the drops in 7 days. I will wait and see.

It just sounds like a really gross procedure thats all.

My bunny too had this problem last October. He had his tear ducts flushed while awake and was treated with Tiacil. He has not had any further problems with his eyes.

My vet had assured me she did not feel it was his teeth, however about 6 weeks ago I found out he had major problems with his teeth. Make sure your vet thoroughly checks his teeth and it may be worth getting X-ray if they have to knock your bun out.

I hope that the drops you have sort your bun out.

Back