• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini stasis dental bunny update 10/11 after dental

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
You may have read my two other threads about Raven not wanting to eat (even after a dental) and not pooing, and Dash suddenly not eating/pooing and having a cecal impaction. Once Dash's system started to move, he was active and eating tons and pooed within 24 hours. Raven required several days of hand feeding and medications, but he pooed in less than a day and was interested in some greens even though it took more time to get him back to eating mostly on his own.

On Tuesday I noted that Gemini, my almost four year old Netherland Dwarf, had fewer, smaller, and harder poos. He was shedding a bit, but most of his moult happened about two weeks ago. I did not see any fur in the poos he passed. He was still eating his greens, but was not touching his hay. I cleaned his litter box right away rather than waiting for evening to see how many new poos he would make. I then gave him more greens. Later on Tuesday, I started sub Q fluids, Critical Care food, and medications including metacam and metacloprimide. On Wednesday he was making some smaller poos, but I thought them seemed improved over Tuesdays. Even so, I called the vet for an appointment and he was not available until Thursday. In the meantime, I added Cisipride to the medicam and metracloprimide, Critical Care and Fluids. He was passing small amounts of poo and I saw a couple cecal pellets.

This morning at the vet I was told he has hardly any gut sounds, his cecum felt 'doughy' and I should continue to give both motility agents and to give even more fluids. I was surprised his gut sounds were so evasive since I gave him fluids/metacloprimide and Critical Care at 2am; and he had the Cisipride about 12 hours before vet visit.

I am following vets instructions and his litterbox is wet but it only had two or three new droppings (cecals/). I just cleaned his litterbox again and am waiting for poo. He is not due for more meds for a couple hours. It may be due to my giving him Critical Care, but he is not eating his greens this afternoon.
Please send my beautiful Gemini some positive vibes. He was my anniversary present in 2015, and he is so well behaved and sweet I cannot stand the thought of him not being with me.

Also, even though my three bunnies each seem to have different reasons for having GI issues, I wonder if they can somehow be connected. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
You may have read my two other threads about Raven not wanting to eat (even after a dental) and not pooing, and Dash suddenly not eating/pooing and having a cecal impaction. Once Dash's system started to move, he was active and eating tons and pooed within 24 hours. Raven required several days of hand feeding and medications, but he pooed in less than a day and was interested in some greens even though it took more time to get him back to eating mostly on his own.

On Tuesday I noted that Gemini, my almost four year old Netherland Dwarf, had fewer, smaller, and harder poos. He was shedding a bit, but most of his moult happened about two weeks ago. I did not see any fur in the poos he passed. He was still eating his greens, but was not touching his hay. I cleaned his litter box right away rather than waiting for evening to see how many new poos he would make. I then gave him more greens. Later on Tuesday, I started sub Q fluids, Critical Care food, and medications including metacam and metacloprimide. On Wednesday he was making some smaller poos, but I thought them seemed improved over Tuesdays. Even so, I called the vet for an appointment and he was not available until Thursday. In the meantime, I added Cisipride to the medicam and metracloprimide, Critical Care and Fluids. He was passing small amounts of poo and I saw a couple cecal pellets.

This morning at the vet I was told he has hardly any gut sounds, his cecum felt 'doughy' and I should continue to give both motility agents and to give even more fluids. I was surprised his gut sounds were so evasive since I gave him fluids/metacloprimide and Critical Care at 2am; and he had the Cisipride about 12 hours before vet visit.

I am following vets instructions and his litterbox is wet but it only had two or three new droppings (cecals/). I just cleaned his litterbox again and am waiting for poo. He is not due for more meds for a couple hours. It may be due to my giving him Critical Care, but he is not eating his greens this afternoon.
Please send my beautiful Gemini some positive vibes. He was my anniversary present in 2015, and he is so well behaved and sweet I cannot stand the thought of him not being with me.

Also, even though my three bunnies each seem to have different reasons for having GI issues, I wonder if they can somehow be connected. What are your thoughts?

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Sending loads of vibes for Gemini xx

Thanks for the vibes.
I just gave him more Critical Care and sub Q fluids. He made a few poos, but then they stopped again. He may have nibbled on a piece or two of his greens, but he is not eating any hay or pellets.
Gemini is not due for his Metacloprimide and Cisapride until 3am. Does anyone know if I should be giving Cisapride should be given before or after I syringe feed Critical Care? I want to make sure he is getting the full benefit from the medication.

Sending you lots of vibes. It's a real worry isn't it.
I'm not sure about the cisapride before or after feeds, I've often wondered that myself when looking after Binky when he's had his stasis bouts. I tend to give him meds before feed, but mostly because he gets fed up and starts refusing to swallow the food towards the end so worry he wouldn't take his meds if I did it after.
Sending best wishes and hope things improve soon.

Sending loads of vibes for Gemini. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about Cisapride.

It is tempting to think that all three instances with your three rabbits are connected, but I don't really see how unless you have recently introduced something new into their diet. It would appear that the details of each rabbit's issues are slightly different too.

Thanks.
Last night I was hopeful when he passed a droppings that were close to normal. After 9pm (more meds, fluids, feeding) he made only a few very tiny droppings and by 2am they stopped. At that time he got more meds and critical care. By 7am he was even more full and he seemed like he was having discomfort. I gave him more Medicam, fluids and critical care before leaving for an important appointment.
I was thinking the worst and am still very concerned as he only seemed slightly better when I returned at 11am. He did make a few small droppings. I gave him additional fluids and more critical care.
He was improving yesterday evening so I wish I knew what I did right so I can do it again. My vet is off until Saturday morning, so I may want to recalculate his drug dosage range to see if I can give the motility agents more frequently or at a higher level. He does not have gas, just a lot of material accumulating in his cecum due to his slow gut.
Please send me and Gemin more positive vibes.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Last night I was hopeful when he passed a droppings that were close to normal. After 9pm (more meds, fluids, feeding) he made only a few very tiny droppings and by 2am they stopped. At that time he got more meds and critical care. By 7am he was even more full and he seemed like he was having discomfort. I gave him more Medicam, fluids and critical care before leaving for an important appointment.
I was thinking the worst and am still very concerned as he only seemed slightly better when I returned at 11am. He did make a few small droppings. I gave him additional fluids and more critical care.
He was improving yesterday evening so I wish I knew what I did right so I can do it again. My vet is off until Saturday morning, so I may want to recalculate his drug dosage range to see if I can give the motility agents more frequently or at a higher level. He does not have gas, just a lot of material accumulating in his cecum due to his slow gut.
Please send me and Gemin more positive vibes.

I don't know if you have it over there but protexin fibreplex I have found really good for rabbits with stasis! It's carrot flavoured 2/3 that I've given it to go mad for it, the other one doesn't like carrots.

Sending you lots of vibes. It's a real worry isn't it.
I'm not sure about the cisapride before or after feeds, I've often wondered that myself when looking after Binky when he's had his stasis bouts. I tend to give him meds before feed, but mostly because he gets fed up and starts refusing to swallow the food towards the end so worry he wouldn't take his meds if I did it after.
Sending best wishes and hope things improve soon.

I found a resource that said I should wait 15-30 minutes after giving Cisapride before feeding. I waited 30 minutes after giving Cisapride to give Critical Care and he was less willing to take the Critical Care. Now I do not know if his lack of interest was from Cisapride or if he is getting worse.

Sending loads of vibes for Gemini. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question about Cisapride.

It is tempting to think that all three instances with your three rabbits are connected, but I don't really see how unless you have recently introduced something new into their diet. It would appear that the details of each rabbit's issues are slightly different too.

Thank you for the dose of positivity. My stress level has me thinking about situations from long ago which did not end well.

I don't know if you have it over there but protexin fibreplex I have found really good for rabbits with stasis! It's carrot flavoured 2/3 that I've given it to go mad for it, the other one doesn't like carrots.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I never saw anything like that in any of the pet supply stores I frequent. I'll still check online to see if it is available to me.

Thanks for the vibes.
I just gave him more Critical Care and sub Q fluids. He made a few poos, but then they stopped again. He may have nibbled on a piece or two of his greens, but he is not eating any hay or pellets.
Gemini is not due for his Metacloprimide and Cisapride until 3am. Does anyone know if I should be giving Cisapride should be given before or after I syringe feed Critical Care? I want to make sure he is getting the full benefit from the medication.

It doesn't matter which you give first - I checked this with my vet :)

Thank you for your suggestion.

I never saw anything like that in any of the pet supply stores I frequent. I'll still check online to see if it is available to me.

Here you can only get it from the vet or online, it's really high in fibre and had probiotics in it

Today started like a repeat of yesterday morning. In the evening he makes some droppings that look almost normal looking in the evening and then they soon go back to being small and dry before stopping again. Since the protocol I followed from 7am to 7pm appeared to get results in the evening, I followed the same protocol/meds/feeding/fluids/dosing from 7pm to this morning at 6:30am.
Something starts his system moving and then it stops again. I will try adjusting the schedule of his meds/feedings/fluids to see if the timing of his ups and downs changes too.
This morning after I gave him fluids, he started to lick my wrist repeatedly. He never gave me kisses before, and my spouse said he was thanking me for all the care. I am more cynical and think I smelled like something good, like Heidi Bunny or Madelyn Bunny.
He is getting something done ever 2-3 hours, so today my goal is to give him attention without any treatment so I can enjoy the bunny who was labeled 'friendly' when my spouse adopted him as my anniversary gift in 2015. He remains my best present ever.

Today started like a repeat of yesterday morning. In the evening he makes some droppings that look almost normal looking in the evening and then they soon go back to being small and dry before stopping again. Since the protocol I followed from 7am to 7pm appeared to get results in the evening, I followed the same protocol/meds/feeding/fluids/dosing from 7pm to this morning at 6:30am.
Something starts his system moving and then it stops again. I will try adjusting the schedule of his meds/feedings/fluids to see if the timing of his ups and downs changes too.
This morning after I gave him fluids, he started to lick my wrist repeatedly. He never gave me kisses before, and my spouse said he was thanking me for all the care. I am more cynical and think I smelled like something good, like Heidi Bunny or Madelyn Bunny.
He is getting something done ever 2-3 hours, so today my goal is to give him attention without any treatment so I can enjoy the bunny who was labeled 'friendly' when my spouse adopted him as my anniversary gift in 2015. He remains my best present ever.

Sorry to be late to this thread. It sounds as though Gemini is proving to be a big worry for you at the moment. If his cecum is sluggish/impacted it can take several days of ongoing and aggressive treatment before any real improvement occurs. Not sure if you have seen this info'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Hi there :)

I've found the stuff in these articles (written by American Houserabbit Society) invaluable in cases like you're experiencing with Gemini:

http://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

Sorry to be late to this thread. It sounds as though Gemini is proving to be a big worry for you at the moment. If his cecum is sluggish/impacted it can take several days of ongoing and aggressive treatment before any real improvement occurs. Not sure if you have seen this info'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Thanks for the empathy and information. Gemini's illness did not come on as suddenly as Dash's or Raven's. He was moulting a lot a couple weeks ago and he was not eating as much hay. The vet said his cecum was doughy and contained a lot of material. The vet has me giving him many more sub Q fluids than I usually give along with both motility drugs, medicam, and critical care. Last evening he was worse then the prior two when he passed some close to normal poos prior to his system slowing and shutting down again. He seemed more comfortable after I gave him his medicam several hours early.
Early this afternoon he drank water on his own for about a minute.

In addition to Metacloprimide he is getting the Cisipride I had compounded for Dash. After giving the first couple doses of Cisipride, Gemini looked odd, especially his eyes. I spoke to the vet and we adjusted his dosage/schedule because I suspect he is either having a reaction or it is causing him discomfort. Perhaps you and others can share your experience on the use of Cisipride in rabbits.

Back