• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where are all the wild rabbits?

spinecho

Warren Scout
Hi.

I work in Chelmsford, Essex & on my drive to and from work everyday I used to see lots of wild rabbits along the grass verges.
However this year I've not seen many (if any wild rabbits).

Have they moved to warmer climes?

Have the left before Brexit kicks in?!?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

i think they are all dying off. someone who walks a dog near me lets his dog chase and catch rabbits and he told me hes seeing loads of dead rabbits with scabby eyes and mouths, think its myxi. He said the ones he sees alive most are blind and dont run, its a shame.

They seem to be more alusive here too (Cambridge). They're there and seem healthy but they seem to want to stay hidden in the hedges etc. I've found a few dead at side of road from being hit by cars.
Even the deer are acting odd around here too. Not sure what's going on.

Maybe they're just in hiding...hope so be a shame if they're all dying...

I was just thinking the other day I haven't seen as many either. We are surrounded by fields with them in, and driving back from anywhere in the evenings is usually scary as so many are on the verges/running across the roads but not this year, so on the plus side far less road kill, but equally awful if they are out there dying of nasty diseases :(

We haven't had any wild rabbits in the garden for months, which is unusual. Also when I went to our usual farm shop a couple of days ago there was a wildie close to the rough area where I park and it didn't run away when I approached.

I hadn't seen any rabbits around here for a couple of years because people always shoot them but recently I've started seeing wild rabbits again, one ran all the way across the ploughed field this morning.

But all the birds I feed have vanished though :cry:

Up in the lake district we used to see loads at our usual campsite but didn't see a single one this year x

Sadly I do think it's largely down to myxo and/or RHD/2, they are both in the area so it's inevitable that they're spreading around the local wild population :( I also think the odd weather is driving them to come out after dark rather than during the day - I see far fewer in our garden but the tell-tale signs of their presence are still around, so they're obviously just coming out when no-one is there to see them!

Here, Myxo reduces wild rabbits every 4-6 years, whenever the population gets dense enough to spread the disease.

Last time it was when I started with rabbits, and all but one died.

There is a small positive effect - the wild rabbit population is developing resistency, went from close to zero around 1960 to about 20% today. That will happen with every disease, if some survive.

It will not happen to domestic rabbits, no breeder lets them suffer through this and breeds the survivors.

And to make things worse, since it doesn't work to control rabbit population with diseases long term new strains and viruses are released in Australia, which will spread around the world with time.

Seen the usual amount here in Nottingham, around the Science Park and Uni...? Though the one who was inhabiting QMC has gone, I expect run over or just left that patch (and it is just a patch) of grass.

Here, Myxo reduces wild rabbits every 4-6 years, whenever the population gets dense enough to spread the disease.

Last time it was when I started with rabbits, and all but one died.

There is a small positive effect - the wild rabbit population is developing resistency, went from close to zero around 1960 to about 20% today. That will happen with every disease, if some survive.

It will not happen to domestic rabbits, no breeder lets them suffer through this and breeds the survivors.

And to make things worse, since it doesn't work to control rabbit population with diseases long term new strains and viruses are released in Australia, which will spread around the world with time.

I don't like being human sometimes

I don't like being human sometimes

Me neither.

I wonder if we could sue the Australia government for the costs of vaccinations due to the diseases they spread without thought or consideration for the consequences - evil ********!!!

Where I am in Nottinghamshire seems the same.
Not seen any with bad eyes either.

I've never had any on my garden it's been made 100% secure for my sisters rabbits when i looked after them last year and now I don't even get hedgehogs anymore

We used to have loads around here. Was lovely early morning walks with the dog seeing the bunnies. Not seen any for about 18 months.

Hi.

I work in Chelmsford, Essex & on my drive to and from work everyday I used to see lots of wild rabbits along the grass verges.
However this year I've not seen many (if any wild rabbits).

Have they moved to warmer climes?

Have the left before Brexit kicks in?!?

I live in Chelmsford.

There are 2 places we often go at weekends -Galleywood Common and Writtle. I've seen no wild rabbits on the Common for weeks but there are still plenty playing and eating in the Writtle/ Roxwell fields.

I believe there has been confirmed Myxomatosis outbreak in Stock which is the next village after Galleywood .

Back