• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Where do you buy your hay from and what do you get?
There seems to be so many different brands and varietys. I got pets and home timothy hay to start with but they are 3/4 through the first bag of that now so just thought I would ask here as there is so much to choose from .

I would reccomend http://www.timothyhay.co.uk/ and know many are loving the hay from there too..

I used to/normally but now wont be as use above... use https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/ which do really amazing selections and taster selections

I also get cheap timothy hay found in petshops atc, farm horse hay that is cheap and buy readigrass just as a treat in his forage box of dry herbs an flowers

Last edited:
Bit of a stupid question but how does the hay from timothyhay.co.uk arrive? In plastic?

I buy hay bales @ £4.25 locally which they are happy enough to eat. It depends how fussy your buns are - mine aren't . I'm in East Lancs

I top this up with green oat readigrass which they adore - I try to stick to 900g bag a week

I usually buy burgess or natures own Timothy but I've just discovered Timothy.co.uk and the first delivery was excellent value and quality (I got the oat hay but will try Timothy next time). Saved LOADS of money. Comes in a big woven plastic sack. I also get 20kg bags of readigrass from Amazon (it's marketed for horses). Again excellent value.

Bit of a stupid question but how does the hay from timothyhay.co.uk arrive? In plastic?
In a synthetic bag, there is a photograph of one of their bags in the current oat hay thread.
Hay for pets (now called something else I can never remember, but if you Google hay for pets you find them) sell a similar sized bag which is plsstic

13886937_1022863327833281_9067977428488957937_n.jpg

That is 7KG, basically 3/4 of a 10 kg bale, in the bag

I use farm baled hay meant for horses for my rabbit. Used to buy posh pet shop hay for them before, but I ran out and had to give them some baled hay that I'd got for the goats. Turns out the rabbits preferred the baled stuff anyway!

I get dean's meadow hay from our local pet/garden shop. Comes in a large bag and only costs £6
It's the girls favourite "cheap" hay which is used for litter trays but they also get western Timothy hay and greenoat grass in their hay racks away from litter trays.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I use farm baled hay meant for horses for my rabbit. Used to buy posh pet shop hay for them before, but I ran out and had to give them some baled hay that I'd got for the goats. Turns out the rabbits preferred the baled stuff anyway!

Zoobec you have made me feel much better. I keep feeling mean about my baled hay especially with all these fancy hays you see on here but they do eat it enthusiastically

[/B]

Zoobec you have made me feel much better. I keep feeling mean about my baled hay especially with all these fancy hays you see on here but they do eat it enthusiastically

I worked on a farm for years and the baled hay is something taken very seriously by farmers (their livestock rely on it!). Most of it is lovely and fresh, we had very strict guidelines about baling and storage that had to be followed to the letter. It shouldn't get a bad rap for being cheap! If I had a car I'd definitely be buying it for my buns.

[/B]

Glad to have been of service ;) I only buy stuff that is sold for horses, and I always pull a bit out of the bale to sniff it, but it's always lovely :love:

Ive just recently started buying hay from this website www.hay-and-straw.co.uk after seeing recommendations on here.

Their 'Ings' hay comes in large plastic bags, a 9.5kg bag is £18.00, which is significantly less than I was paying for Western Oxbow Timothy on Amazon. It seems like lovely quality and smells nice.

I did run out last week by mistake and brought some Meadow Hay from Pets at Home. I wasn't impressed with it at all(I don't think the rabbits minded ;)) it was so dry and twiggy x

[/B]

Mine have standard baled hay too & when I have pennies I get timothy hay or oat hay or ings hay :thumb:

So for my guys, baled hay £5.00 a bale - it's only £4.00 but they make a loss so I give them a fiver :thumb:

Then I get from-
www.timothyhay.co.uk
http://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk/

And use the more expensive stuff as on top of hay and put in flower pots and paper bags and toys :thumb:

Where do you buy your hay from and what do you get?
There seems to be so many different brands and varietys. I got pets and home timothy hay to start with but they are 3/4 through the first bag of that now so just thought I would ask here as there is so much to choose from .
I get timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk , there are only two sizes to choose i get the smallest one (i think around 10kg?) but its so big! And only for around £20, lasts me ages.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks all. I have nowhere to keep a bale of hay at the mo. I keep nagging my oh for a horse or a baby so you never know I may have space for hay bales one day as he always seems to lean towards horse when I am mithering him. ha ha

Back