• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Loobers pellet free review

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So as you guys know, Tobys has his tummy issues. Thanks to you guys I was able to change my bunnies on to a pellet free diet. I have two senior buns so they get around 4 pellets each.

I thought I would share what has been successful for us and might help any one considering going pellet free.

The buns get one handful of dark leafy greens per day. This is usually lunch time. I would also like to note that Toby has gained a little weight from going pellet free and now is maintaining at 2.9.

The gang would like to share with you what has been nommy and not so nommy. All of these has been discovered or recommended by you guys so a big thanks from us! Xx

Hay
Green cup - alfalfa king from pets at home . Extremely good hay and amazing he much you get in the pack!

Purple cup - Timothy hay from timothy hay. Co.uk Extremely nommy!!!

Red cup - Oat hay from timothy hay.co.uk. I was suprised how nice this is and actually is now being eaten more than the Timothy hay!

a04795c94324980e64c5ecc09dff51c6.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Pellets

Again recommended by RU they smell delicious and very good price. The ingredients are healthy and simple
79832d6409d666db26cdda44aec79059.jpg

Main forage

So this is scattered on to a pile of hay. They get a variety of this everyday but Toby mainly has apple leaves, blackcurrant leaves and plaintan mixed with a few different things a day.

8670eeff1f7b3747e9130a04793415f6.jpg
613b182754e9b9c2bad0bb6706037474.jpg
4584d1161749a9cef05dc05246a4ab9e.jpg
260bb0101e5ddb27fc89e19d4d9e56cd.jpg
859f2da11ccfb669320b7a78497420f2.jpg
ac63a95741b33c670834ce5e8b5936bf.jpg
6901a05ad6fbd82ad3f93dd2fdc744c1.jpg
b9e0ae6bbaab89037f3a2430b7dffcd2.jpg
6f01a7c2b619e64139a3989b55d8fa32.jpg

Sprinkle toppers

They get a small amount of one these on top of hay forage
9890932e9a7f97061cc3ae824c1d0d02.jpg
49a21181bd369198015de007c194344a.jpg
469952ea0b1eaa17a9ccdf63b150d911.jpg

Treats

They get chicory root and danelion roots from the hay experts
e4b67258af203251fca0d12f04eb2519.jpg

Thank you for posting this!

I am going to be putting both of mine on a none pellet diet soon as Finn suffers with his gut. The problem with mine is that Finn is obsessed with pellets and eats it all so Myrtle doesn't get much of a look in. So he suffers with a sticky bum. :roll:

Finn has no front teeth so i know his not going to enjoy this transformation. How many Hay types who you say put them on at once?
I have never gone pellet free with buns before so any tops would be great...as well as best places to get them from!

Thanks! :thumb:

Thank you for posting this!

I am going to be putting both of mine on a none pellet diet soon as Finn suffers with his gut. The problem with mine is that Finn is obsessed with pellets and eats it all so Myrtle doesn't get much of a look in. So he suffers with a sticky bum. :roll:

Finn has no front teeth so i know his not going to enjoy this transformation. How many Hay types who you say put them on at once?
I have never gone pellet free with buns before so any tops would be great...as well as best places to get them from!

Thanks! :thumb:
They get all three hay a day now but i have only recently introduced oat hay and they are eating lots. I have been putting all three in a tube so that it's not peed or pooped on. Timothy hay is worth more than gold here :D

I dont have any experience of rabbits with no front teeth . However i only order it all as im not an experienced forager and so it all comes dried. If you could forage it would all be fresh and free! I have planted lots of things this year so that I can reduce the ordering. I have in the garden strawberry, sun flowers, marigolds, roses, spinach, rocket, all the herbs, carrot tops and lots more. I'm going to sow these this weekend. I have a dehydrater as Toby won't eat anything moist so hopefully I will be able to pull everything out of the garden. The key is to be organised to not change Tobys diet.
5eb1d5b8b306fa9b4878402c0ada9891.jpg
33830ce2c0e08036c2d545845575eb3b.jpg

Apologies also everyone for my potato quality camera on my phone

My main hay is from timothy hay.co.uk
My forage is from The Hay experts and Galens garden

I think the key for Toby was to find a hay that really enjoys

What an enormous selection! The only downside I can see is that it must be very expensive :(

I don't think I've ever known that Toby won't eat anything fresh. What a silly boy. Has this always been the case? So all that lovely produce you're growing will need to be dried first?

Well look 'ere Toby lad, most rabbits are the opposite :lol: One thought occurs to me about this, which is he will need to drink lots to keep himself hydrated then. What happens if you give him a branch with leaves on? Does he discard the leaves?

What's in the first jar of the Sprinkle Toppers, please?

Last edited:
What an enormous selection! The only downside I can see is that it must be very expensive :(

I don't think I've ever known that Toby won't eat anything fresh. What a silly boy. Has this always been the case? So all that lovely produce you're growing will need to be dried first?

Well look 'ere Toby lad, most rabbits are the opposite [emoji38] One thought occurs to me about this, which is he will need to drink lots to keep himself hydrated then. What happens if you give him a branch with leaves on? Does he discard the leaves?

What's in the first jar of the Sprinkle Toppers, please?
I know omi he's such a rascal. I will only dry enough for him, Dennis and maple love their fresh bits. I can trick him by dipping the forage in his water bowl then giving it to him. He's always been like that since he was a baby. I'd have to buy lots of fresh stuff for Millie that would go out of date as he wouldn't share! He won't even eat carrot!

Oh sorry it's Camomile. How much my bunnies cost a month im too ashamed post on the forum it's outrageous!

I know omi he's such a rascal. I will only dry enough for him, Dennis and maple love their fresh bits. I can trick him by dipping the forage in his water bowl then giving it to him. He's always been like that since he was a baby. I'd have to buy lots of fresh stuff for Millie that would go out of date as he wouldn't share! He won't even eat carrot!

Oh sorry it's Camomile. How much my bunnies cost a month im too ashamed post on the forum it's outrageous!

Does he also not eat fresh grass ?:shock:

I love the hays and the pro p pellets, and so much else. If they don't become the healthiest rabbits on planet Earth, I'll eat my hat! :lol:

Does he also not eat fresh grass ?:shock:
Nope! He does drink a lot after eating so at least that's something! It makes me wonder if he knows he has gut issues and doesn't have the instinct to eat moist things, I really don't know??

Know that feel haha - when Atticus couldn't eat anything because he was just so unwell and I had to cut everything out and just give him hay and slowly re introduce things to see what/if he could tolerate anything - I purchased basically every single possible bun friendly thing on galens garden, and the hay experts - was a very expensive time - but it's got me a good understanding of what he can and cant eat - list is very small haha

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301239 < small change but this is slightly cheaper than the hay experts one, I buy it as Atticus can eat a little bit without getting ill :) I buy lots of forage from zooplus actually - it's all in german though...

Glad that hay from pets at home was a hit, at least you know you have a fall back option now :D

It's so nice to see what your bunnies all eat - they're all very lucky :D xxx

So as you guys know, Tobys has his tummy issues. Thanks to you guys I was able to change my bunnies on to a pellet free diet. I have two senior buns so they get around 4 pellets each.

I thought I would share what has been successful for us and might help any one considering going pellet free.

The buns get one handful of dark leafy greens per day. This is usually lunch time. I would also like to note that Toby has gained a little weight from going pellet free and now is maintaining at 2.9.

The gang would like to share with you what has been nommy and not so nommy. All of these has been discovered or recommended by you guys so a big thanks from us! Xx

Hay
Green cup - alfalfa king from pets at home . Extremely good hay and amazing he much you get in the pack!

Purple cup - Timothy hay from timothy hay. Co.uk Extremely nommy!!!

Red cup - Oat hay from timothy hay.co.uk. I was suprised how nice this is and actually is now being eaten more than the Timothy hay!

a04795c94324980e64c5ecc09dff51c6.jpg

Loobers, first off congrats on such a comprehensive guide! You've done a lot of research and gone to lots of effort here to help bunnies, and not just your own :)

I wonder if you could clarify (for me!) what exactly you mean by one handful of dark leafies. Presumably this is only for Maple and Dennis? I often wonder where greens/veg are concerned how much that actually means. Sorry if it sounds a daft question, but I'm often asked about this 'handful' measurement :lol:

A big thank you to my glamorous assistant Maple for helping rip packets open and make an almighty mess.
3c8370b4cb0d42928b9fc8ae7ec04f99.jpg

Last edited:
Loobers, first off congrats on such a comprehensive guide! You've done a lot of research and gone to lots of effort here to help bunnies, and not just your own :)

I wonder if you could clarify (for me!) what exactly you mean by one handful of dark leafies. Presumably this is only for Maple and Dennis? I often wonder where greens/veg are concerned how much that actually means. Sorry if it sounds a daft question, but I'm often asked about this 'handful' measurement :lol:
Well MM i will take a photo for you when it's nom time :D It was Thumps research I cannot take any credit, it's all from RU

Know that feel haha - when Atticus couldn't eat anything because he was just so unwell and I had to cut everything out and just give him hay and slowly re introduce things to see what/if he could tolerate anything - I purchased basically every single possible bun friendly thing on galens garden, and the hay experts - was a very expensive time - but it's got me a good understanding of what he can and cant eat - list is very small haha

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/301239 < small change but this is slightly cheaper than the hay experts one, I buy it as Atticus can eat a little bit without getting ill :) I buy lots of forage from zooplus actually - it's all in german though...

Glad that hay from pets at home was a hit, at least you know you have a fall back option now :D

It's so nice to see what your bunnies all eat - they're all very lucky :D xxx

Yes thank you Gracie the hay is really great :D

Thanks for the link I shall have a little look right now xx

Back