• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding question

Jennie13

New Kit
I’ve been trying to bond Dylan and Efa since the end of October. Both rabbits approx 2-3, both neutered, Dylan being introduced to my existing girl.

They’ve been much more difficult than my previous bonds, and I’ve taken it back to basics and restarted a couple of times. They seem to be in a much better frame of mind for bonding at the moment and we’re up to about half an hour of time together without any fighting.

Im much better at recognising the signs of potential problems and calming the situation down before it escalates into a fight, but I’m wondering if I’m holding them back too much and preventing the normal nip and chase.

My gut feeling at the moment is that these two are not ready for that kind of interaction without it breaking into a fight so I do spend a lot of time stroking them and talking to them to keep them calm. I’m just a bit worried this interference might be making things worse. I’m happy for the bond to take as long as it takes, I just wanted some thoughts on whether preventing fights should be my main priority at this point over taking that next step.

It’s been a long slog to this point and having seen a definite improvement I don’t want to mess it up!

The problem is the female was there first, so my advice would be to keep her away from any territory she looks on as hers. I think, taking this into consideration, that you really have to "bite the bullet" and let them sort out the hierarchy without getting nasty, hopefully. They have had a long enough period to get to know one another, as it were, so if they are still together now I would recommend you keep them this way and fingers crossed it will all work out. Treats at the ready and positive thinking! Good luck.

Thank you for your thoughts on it all. I certainly never expected my mild mannered girl to be so difficult. I’ll try and keep out of things a bit more and see how things develop. I think we’re definitely moving in the right direction, maybe now is the time for the final nudge towards the finish line.

I pretty much agree with Tonibun. I tried the slow method with my dominant girl... eventually I just had to let them sort it out. We did have a bite which took a chunk of skin out of one bun but other than that we had no injuries and it was just all show. So long as there is no serious injury I just left them to it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks for reassuring me! I’m increasing their time together and have started keeping out of things a bit more. I’m starting to get happier with the idea that I don’t have to watch them like a hawk and intervene in every slight scuffle. They spend a lot of time nose to nose trying to force the other into grooming them through sheer willpower and disapproving stares but no one wants to be the first one to give in. I think we’re heading in the right direction though.

Back