• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bing had sneezing fits U/D possible hay allergy ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
It was very distressing to hear, like a barking. I did call my vets but he had stopped. He had one more and I tried like wiping his nose. It hasn't happened since. I wonder if he had something stuck up his nose, Bing spends the majority of his time in his hay base.

Last edited:
Bless him that must have been worrying. I’ve never experienced them sneezing like that. Hopefully he dislodged something and he will be ok now.

Thanks. I will watch Bing carefully. Today he is back to his usual cooing self. Bing often spends the day cooing with happiness.

Back again:cry:. Started a really bad sneezing session.

Could it be the hay ? It's much finer than before.

I will be going to my usual vets asap.

Back again:cry:. Started a really bad sneezing session.

Could it be the hay ? It's much finer than before.

I will be going to my usual vets asap.

It could be the hay, or it could be a result of the hot weather which has possibly triggered a RTI. Is his ear on the same side as his missing leg gunky at all ? If so this can lead to not only infection in the ear but also the Upper Respiratory Tract.

I have a nebuliser you can borrow if you want to. That can help clear the sinuses. Sending vibes that he doesn’t have an infection. Roisin has chronic sneezing episodes now due to scaring in her nose from two previous RTIs.

Thank you. I think this maybe resolved.

Jane kindly gave me a large amount of hay. The bunnies were cleaned out Sunday afternoon and I used Janes hay. No more sneezing.:shock: Could it have been a allergy to the hay ? This was very fine hay and a new type I had been using for about 6 weeks. Bing was so bad Saturday night and Sunday morning but after we put in new hay he hasn't sneezed once.

Thank you. I think this maybe resolved.

Jane kindly gave me a large amount of hay. The bunnies were cleaned out Sunday afternoon and I used Janes hay. No more sneezing.:shock: Could it have been a allergy to the hay ? This was very fine hay and a new type I had been using for about 6 weeks. Bing was so bad Saturday night and Sunday morning but after we put in new hay he hasn't sneezed once.

Yes, allergy to a specific type of hay is 100% possible. The hay I gave James to take back with him ( the look on his face when I handed him a bin bag :lol:) is just the baled hay from Frosbury’s. I hardly ever bother buying posh hay now as my 5 always prefer the cheap bales :roll:

It could be that Bing had an accumulation of snot up his nose and yesterdays sneezing fits finally cleared it. Have a check of the inner sides of the fur on his front paws. If it is matted/ damp/ sticky that would indicate he is wiping a snotty nose a lot.

I would just monitor him for a few days and if the sneezing starts again I would get the Vet to take a look at him x

Yes, allergy to a specific type of hay is 100% possible. The hay I gave James to take back with him ( the look on his face when I handed him a bin bag :lol:) is just the baled hay from Frosbury’s. I hardly ever bother buying posh hay now as my 5 always prefer the cheap bales :roll:

It could be that Bing had an accumulation of snot up his nose and yesterdays sneezing fits finally cleared it. Have a check of the inner sides of the fur on his front paws. If it is matted/ damp/ sticky that would indicate he is wiping a snotty nose a lot.

I would just monitor him for a few days and if the sneezing starts again I would get the Vet to take a look at him x

If he starts again I will definitely take him to Twickenham. I will check his paws, but it could be groomed off by now.

I am so pleased to see him so relaxed now. X

Back