• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bandaging a front paw?

Shula

Warren Scout
Hi there,

My house rabbit has got a sore front paw - slightly bleeding on the bottom of one of his toes. My guess is that there was a prickle of some kind in his hay/forage and he's now over-grooming the sore area: it's been getting gradually worse over the last few days and he now won't put it down on the ground at all.

Any advice on bandaging a front paw? I tried to do vet wrap round the leg and then round his chest to hold the bandage on, but couldn't seem to get it right. He is 9 years old and very doddery and arthritic, so hasn't got very good balancing skills on three legs.

Any bandaging tips or other suggestions much appreciated. (He already takes metacam daily for arthritis so has pain relief, and he is cheerful in himself)

Thanks.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise, but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

I would get it looked at by a vet first - there's something else going on if he's not weight bearing on that foot, and it needs looking at before it gets worse. Not weight bearing on one foot will also put extra stress on his other limbs and spine, which will have adverse effects on the arthritis.

I agree with Shimmer. A Vet check is essential as your Bunny will need some pain relief at the very least. There may be some infection going on which is why the soreness is getting worse, in which case he would need antibiotics. Bandaging an infected paw without treating the infection would be asking for trouble.

Thanks. It was a bit of a weird one really. The whole base of one toe came away from the foot when the vet cleaned it vigorously - like a massive scab but it went really deep, not like a 'normal' scab and not the normal 'material' that a scab is made of. No idea what has caused it. :? It was obvious really painful, though doesn't appear to be infected :cry:

He is already on the maximum dose of painkiller because of his arthritis (he started on a much lower dose but we have gradually upped it over the past three years) so the vet has said to just keep it clean and monitor it. Poor Hugo bunny :cry:

So, lots of treats and snuggles tonight, and hopefully it will begin to heal up soon.

Last edited:
Oh bless, glad its not infected, and hope the clean up will make it feel better. Yes treats well deserved I think. Sending lots of healing vibes for Hugos foot, and thanks for the update xx

Sending plenty of healing vibes. Since he is on max dose pain med could he get a second type of painmed in addition to current one? Glad you had vet check and no infection.

Thanks. It was a bit of a weird one really. The whole base of one toe came away from the foot when the vet cleaned it vigorously - like a massive scab but it went really deep, not like a 'normal' scab and not the normal 'material' that a scab is made of. No idea what has caused it. :? It was obvious really painful, though doesn't appear to be infected :cry:

He is already on the maximum dose of painkiller because of his arthritis (he started on a much lower dose but we have gradually upped it over the past three years) so the vet has said to just keep it clean and monitor it. Poor Hugo bunny :cry:

So, lots of treats and snuggles tonight, and hopefully it will begin to heal up soon.

Poor lad :cry: Did the Vet suggest sending a biopsy off to the Path Lab ? And as bunny momma mentioned, what about adding some additional analgesia ? I really hope that the wound will start to heal x

Back