• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stiches for Jigsaw

Dave81

Mama Doe
I posted in the behaviour section about Scooter & Jigsaw managing to get to each other then having a fight, well today I took Jigsaw to the Vets as some of his skin had been ripped by Scooter its kind of a flap that's been pulled away from him on his right thigh.

I know I should have taken him to the Vet straight away on Saturday but I took the risk of waiting to see how it was healing, anyway hes in perfect health the vet checked him over cut his fur away to check another couple of areas. Note I have checked the wound every day to ensure it wasn't infected.

The only issue is this skin flap as its quite deep so tomorrow hes going in to have the skin stitched together to help it heal, this will of course mean having to have a general anaesthetic so they can work on him, I will be worrying tomorrow as I kown there is a risk but hes healthy and fighting fit so hopefully wont be an issue.

The vet did ask if I wanted to leave him in overnight or fetch him in tomorrow, but I said I can nip out of work for an hour to drop him off on the day, I didn't want to stress him by leaving him somewhere else all night

Left him at the vets now, my eyes nearly watered when I saw the quote of between £100 - £150 that's one expensive bunny fight

Got him back all safe and sound, it cost £151 in total. Once I've given him his medicine later I will take a photo of the area, he's been pretty quite right now but that's to be expected

I am glad he got through the op OK.

Hopefully he will recover well and the wound will heal quickly without any complications.

I am glad he got through the op OK.

Hopefully he will recover well and the wound will heal quickly without any complications.

Apparently he has one external stitch the rest are the internal kind, he looks a right mess but that's mainly from the fur been shaved off. I haven't looked too closely yet as I want him to settle back in gently

Oh crikey I didn't see this last night. Poor Jiggy :(:(

I do hope he's ok. Please give him some gentle nose rubs from his Auntie Jen and his mummy September xx

Oh crikey I didn't see this last night. Poor Jiggy :(:(

I do hope he's ok. Please give him some gentle nose rubs from his Auntie Jen and his mummy September xx

Will do he's just had his baytril (if that's how it's spelt) luckily he's a good patient, I've given him a cuddle on my bed an put him back, he's still coming round at the moment, not seen him eat yet but I will keep on tempting him.

Hopefully a good nights rest will bring him back to normal, I will post a picture in a bit

Will do he's just had his baytril (if that's how it's spelt) luckily he's a good patient, I've given him a cuddle on my bed an put him back, he's still coming round at the moment, not seen him eat yet but I will keep on tempting him.

Hopefully a good nights rest will bring him back to normal, I will post a picture in a bit

Bless him :love: Do you have some recovery food? If not try softening some of his usual pellets in cool boiled water, finely chopping some veg & offering herbs/bramble leaves/dandelion. He really needs to eat this evening :)

Bless him :love: Do you have some recovery food? If not try softening some of his usual pellets in cool boiled water, finely chopping some veg & offering herbs/bramble leaves/dandelion. He really needs to eat this evening :)

He is tucking into bits of hay & food, I know he's eaten some basil leaves as they have vanished, I think I'm going to syringe feed him anyway, I still have some left from when Fluffy decided to stop eating. I should have more luck feeding him that as he took the medicine fine :D

Here is a picture of the wound, its a bit or a rubbish quality one as he is hiding it from me, maybe I will get a clearer one tomorrow

IMAG0072.jpg

He is tucking into bits of hay & food, I know he's eaten some basil leaves as they have vanished, I think I'm going to syringe feed him anyway, I still have some left from when Fluffy decided to stop eating. I should have more luck feeding him that as he took the medicine fine :D

Here is a picture of the wound, its a bit or a rubbish quality one as he is hiding it from me, maybe I will get a clearer one tomorrow

IMAG0072.jpg

Hi, if he's eating hay etc then I wouldnt syringe feed him as it will only stress him out:(

Looks sore :(

Jigsaw must have read my post he's just this started eating some more food and hay, I think I will hold off on the recovery paste

Jigsaw must have read my post he's just this started eating some more food and hay, I think I will hold off on the recovery paste

Excellent news :thumb: I would remove anything which he can climb on or in for a couple of days & restrict his movement - just to allow the stitches to take hold. Would be awful if he pulled anything and had to go back in :( You could also gently apply some sudocrem to the wound. It has excellent healing properties & helps to reduce any sore/red/itchy-ness as the area heals.

Thinking of him xxx

Wondering how the little fella is today? :wave:

he's a lot more active today and looking himself again. I was concerned that he wasn't eating the pellets but they have been scoffed whilst I was downstairs.

I'm amazed I was able to give him his medicine as he didn't struggle although I tricked him earlier by hiding it in between sandwiched basil leaves :lol: didn't want to stress him too much. I also hid some fibre plex in the leaves too.

Were back to the vet tomorrow afternoon for a check up, I can't see any issues from that.

I think he is partially enjoying been able to see Scooter albeit through the cage bars, it's weird you wouldn't think they had been fighting as they lie down next to each other an seem quite happy. I do reckon they would fall out through if they could get to each other.

Last edited:
he's a lot more active today and looking himself again. I was concerned that he wasn't eating the pellets but they have been scoffed whilst I was downstairs.

I'm amazed I was able to give him his medicine as he didn't struggle although I tricked him earlier by hiding it in between sandwiched basil leaves :lol: didn't want to stress him too much. I also hid some fibre plex in the leaves too.

Were back to the vet tomorrow afternoon for a check up, I can't see any issues from that.

I think he is partially enjoying been able to see Scooter albeit through the cage bars, it's weird you wouldn't think they had been fighting as they lie down next to each other an seem quite happy. I do reckon they would fall out through if they could get to each other.

Pleased he seems ok & is eating :thumb: What a little trooper he is :love: Nose rubs & treats from Auntie Jen xx

Pleased he seems ok & is eating :thumb: What a little trooper he is :love: Nose rubs & treats from Auntie Jen xx

I will give him a hug from you tomorrow, when I picked him up from the vets yesterday the staff commented on how cute he was :lol: I don't know can't take him anywhere, flirting with the staff :lol:

I will give him a hug from you tomorrow, when I picked him up from the vets yesterday the staff commented on how cute he was :lol: I don't know can't take him anywhere, flirting with the staff :lol:

:lol::lol: He's a heart breaker :love: They both are :love: I get similar reactions from people when they see Paintbox :D

Jig & Scoot were the first of the litter to leave here but their cute squooshable lil faces & lovely personalities will always be with me :love::love: I think of them and their siblings often :love:

Back