• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noise

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi one of my rabbits was brought inside earlier with his brother to get some exercise. He was fine and did all his usual things, running, jumping, binkies etc but when i picked him up to take him back i noticed his breathing was a bit noisey (i don't know how to describe, it was only faintly noisy). I checked his nose but could not see any discharge at all so i was wondering if maybe he was just a bit excited and was just breathing faster as he was a bit hot from being inside for a little while? I will be keeping an eye on him. What else should i look for?

Also another of my rabbits has had just one eye just weep water. I did ask at the vets when some of my two mentioned above went and they said that it may just be a chill because there isn't any gunk. My sisters rabbit has the tear duct problem so i know what that looks like but it seems to stop for a day or 2 and then it starts again. The rabbits are in a shed outside and i suspect there is a draught could it just be that or do you think it still may be a tear duct problem?

A Bun with unusually noisey breathing needs to be examined by a Vet. Respiratory Tract Infections do not always present with a nasal discharge, especially if a the infection is in the lungs. RTIs can become very serious so I certainly would consult a Vet ASAP. It may just be that he was hot and hence his respiratory rate increased but its better to err on the side of caution and get him examined.
Its generally not advisable to bring outdoor Buns into a warm house and then put them out again. They dont cope well with extreme changes in environmental temperature and that alone can bring on a RTI.

Lots of things can cause runny eyes. Infection, an injury/foreign body in the eye, dental problems where the tooth roots have elongated and block the nasolacrimal duct. Again this is a problem that you need get checked out by your Vet

Good luck :)

Hi i checked him today and even in the middle of the night but he seems fine now. I think he got himself too hot runing around while inside. I only bring them in for about half an hour, do you think that is still not a good idea? None of the others have done this before. About the vets i am keeping an eye on him and he is doing everything he usually does and is eating and going to the toilet fine, i am going soon with one of our other rabbits so i'll ask them what they advise.

About the eye thing i know for sure it is definitely not the teeth. His teeth are checked whenever he sees the vet and they are fine. I can't check the back ones as he can get quite annoyed but i do check what i can and there's no problems from what i can see. Also he is eating normally. A rabbit my sister got through a friend of a friend (who we found out had not been responsible breeding her rabbits) had the malocussion (sp?) and he stopped eating, sadly he ended up having to be pts not because of that but due to other things linked to his birth parents. I know the rabbits are eating fine so there are no teeth problems.

Hi i checked him today and even in the middle of the night but he seems fine now. I think he got himself too hot runing around while inside. I only bring them in for about half an hour, do you think that is still not a good idea? None of the others have done this before. About the vets i am keeping an eye on him and he is doing everything he usually does and is eating and going to the toilet fine, i am going soon with one of our other rabbits so i'll ask them what they advise.

About the eye thing i know for sure it is definitely not the teeth. His teeth are checked whenever he sees the vet and they are fine. I can't check the back ones as he can get quite annoyed but i do check what i can and there's no problems from what i can see. Also he is eating normally. A rabbit my sister got through a friend of a friend (who we found out had not been responsible breeding her rabbits) had the malocussion (sp?) and he stopped eating, sadly he ended up having to be pts not because of that but due to other things linked to his birth parents. I know the rabbits are eating fine so there are no teeth problems.

Its the tooth roots that I am referring to and these can only be checked by an Xray of the skull. There is no other way that anyone can be certain that the tooth roots are not elongated.

Personally my opinion remains the same, that both problems need to be checked by a Vet :)

xx

is the noise coming from his nose or chest? reason I ask if Tyson breathes very noisily thru his nose when I pick him up sometimes. But if I lie next to him (not easy to do but I have to get to his level) and listen he doesn't do it. I have decided it's just him! Not saying that's your rabbit's problem but I think Tyson does it because he's not too pleased being picked up.

One of my buns was making a noise when she ate. It seemed from her nose and not her chest. She was ok when breathing normal, just this noise when she ate. I popped her to the vet and he listened to her chest and said that was Ok, but luckily she made the noise when he was examining her and put her on baytil and said it was probably the start of a respiratory infection. She is fine now. Good luck with your bun. Pam

is the noise coming from his nose or chest? reason I ask if Tyson breathes very noisily thru his nose when I pick him up sometimes. But if I lie next to him (not easy to do but I have to get to his level) and listen he doesn't do it. I have decided it's just him! Not saying that's your rabbit's problem but I think Tyson does it because he's not too pleased being picked up.

Yes at the time he made the noise he was being held. He doesn't like being picked up but any other time his breathing is fine. My sisters rabbit who is a dwarf lop (maybe it is something with the breed?) breathes funny when he eats. It's as if he is content. He did it at the vets too and she mentioned about it but we said he always does it, she checked him and said he was fine.

What if you gently put your hand under your bun's chin? And w/ your other hand support her feet, holding her vertically? Will she then make funny noise?

I am going to try that - but what should we expect to hear. Are you saying he should/should not make the funny noise then. Sorry to hijack this post but as Tyson does something similar thought I would try it too

will try as soon as able to get out to their shed - been ill for last couple of days but will let you know - thanks so much

The noise wasn't heard again so i think he was just annoyed and grunting instead (he does tend to get annoyed at random times, it's just him. His brother is the complete opposite and never attacks or gets annoyed)

I have been checking for the noise whenever i check them all and it hasn't been heard again.

Back