• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding a baby doe or adopting an exbreeding doe for my neutered male

Hi,

I've been looking for a partner for my 9 month old neutered male mini lop house rabbit. I decided to go back to the breeder where my rabbit came from, and at first she suggested I take on her ex breeding doe who is 1.5 years old. She doesn't seem to get pregnant so she wanted to find her a nice home. I decided it was worth introducing them. We gave them a date to get to know each other. It went well. They seemed to ignore each other or just eat together. But I got cold feet about taking her on. This is because my male bunny is very tame, used to 4 young kids and my dog and living indoors. I was worried that the ex breeding doe would be too scared in my home and around my kids. It would also be difficult if she's not litter trained as my male bunny can play on my carpets and be trusted not to pee! It would be bad news if the ex breeding rabbit couldn't be litter trained.

So, I decided to wait for a baby bunny. My male rabbit's parents have had another litter, so the plan is to get his sister in a few weeks time when she's 8 weeks old. I know I will have to keep them separate for a few months because she will be smaller than my male, and I wouldn't want him to squash her from any humping attempts. But I am hoping it's possible for them to at least have play dates (supervised by me) until she's old enough to be sprayed.

Has anyone had success in bonding a young female bunny with an older neutered male? And am I right to be concerned that an ex breeding bunny who has lived outside, might find it traumatic to be with kids and may not learn litter training as is older?

Thanks for any advice. I'm fairly new to owning a bunny!

S

You could get a baby and keep it separate however it runs the risk of them never bonding and getting used to live apart and as a baby hasn't developed a personality until it reaches maturity, they could fight and you would either HAVE to keep them apart or re-home which would be hard after getting attached.

The RSPCA do a foster scheme, they supply the cage, accessories and rabbit you choose (all neutered too) and if it doesn't bond with your buck, then you can easily try another one before adopting one. I would look in to that if I were you. Also, a neutered female around 8 months - 1.5 year old will be fine as any older or younger could make it harder to bond.

I only have the one bun, he is a baby too however, I know lots of people that have them and to be honest, i think buns are pretty adaptable. x

My bridge bun Rio was a two year old neutered male when introduced to a 10 week old female,he was a pet shop mixed breed lop,she was from a breeder and was an otter blue mini lop.Not ideal really my niece bought them both and I eventually took on their care etc.They were house rabbits,bonding them went okay introduced to each other in the hall,she submitted to him from the start.He was very curious of her,(I had a big towel and water gun handy in case of trouble) He did a bit of chasing but no aggression.She ran off anyway,lol.They both became a loved up pair of cuddle buns.

Meant to say Rio was a very laid back bun to begin with ,all buns are different you have to know your buns personalities etc.

Are both rabbits un-neutered?

I wouldn't recommend either bond unless both are neutered.

Yes if 1 is done you remove the pregnancy risk but the one that is un-neutered is highly likely to harrass the other rabbit which can cause tension.

I have bonded young unspayed does with older neutered bucks whilst I've waited them to come of age for spaying but it requires alot of careful monitoring and I'm an experienced bonder who understands the risk.

It would be easier for you to neuter your boy, wait six weeks then go to a rescue for matchup with a suitable girl.

Back