• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anxious about my small bunnies moving outside…

Dinolauren

New Kit
So I have a lion head rabbit and a netherland dwarf rabbit who I want to move into a nice walk in rabbit shed with a run in the garden this summer but I’m really anxious…. The reason being is in 2017 I adopted my Netherland dwarf with his brother and they lived happily outside until January 2019 when one of them died and it hit me really hard with guilt. I always made sure to put heated pods in for them and I can’t even say for sure why he died but I am scared.

Will two small breeds be ok? Does anyone have any heating tips for the winter? I have no electricity in the garden.

Thanks.

Aww I'm sorry for your loss, I know it was a while ago but its obviously still upsetting you. Many things can take a bunnies life unexpectedly. there is no reason to blame yourself

I'm no expert. Mine have always been inside however I know that it sounds like they have a cosy & fun new home to look forward to. Cardboard boxes stuffed with straw provide lots of warm & extra snuggle opportunities. I don't know how size impacts but I'd have thought the higher activity of smaller buns would go in their favour.

Aw, that's so understandable that you're so anxious and scared about moving your bunnies outside after you lost your boy when they were living outside. I'm so sorry. It really likely wasn't anything you did. Bunnies can be so fragile, and it could've been lots of things unrelated to the cold.

I think they'll be perfectly fine outside. Lots of small bunnies live happy, healthy, long lives outside in gardens. I think j&b has a good point about smaller breeds' activity levels helping. Exercise keeps them warm, so as long as they have plenty of space to run around and do their zoomies and exploring, that'll help. And with their rabbit shed they'll be out of the cold, so they'll be nice and cosy. And, yes, lots of straw will give them a warm place to go to when they're cold, too, like j&b said, and if you give them those heated pods you mention that'll help keep them warm, too. And since they'll be moving into the garden in the summer, by the time it's winter they'll have gotten a nice, thick coat to protect them as well. Really, I think they'll be just fine. :)

I had a single Netherland Dwarf back in the 1980s-90s, before I really knew much about proper rabbit care, and he was outside 24/7 in a hutch & run and live to be almost 11. Heat can be more dangerous than cold, so providing plenty of shelter (shade) in all weathers is very important :) Providing proper flooring, insularion, lots of straw stufffed boxes etc. is a good idea but make sure thye can go somewheew to cool off! I always underestimate my rabbits' coldproofing abilities (except that one time Chibbs got hypothermia but that was related to length not just depth of cold :thumb:) and they ignore half the things we put in for them :lol:

Hello everyone. Just to update you all and thank you for all your replies back when I sent this question. My buns are officially outside and absolutely loving it!

Rabbits should be fine outside in winter as long as they are healthy, mobile, have had time to grow a winter coat and have decent sized dry, draught-proof accommodation which is safe from predators. They will then, obviously, choose to sit out in the run in the worst of the wet weather and then bounce around in deep snow when the winter weather comes. :lol: Welcome to the world of rabbits.

I would also make sure their vaccinations are kept up to date.

Back