• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Remembering Melody ~ my best friend

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
Melody & I met when I was 12 years old and she was 8. From the second I saw her I knew that we would be friends forever.

She was my best friend, my soul mate. The one who always listened and who was always there. She shared my troubles and helped me through my difficult teenage years. In my twenties she was my rock, the one who I confided in and whose shoulder I cried on when things got tough. By the time I reached 30 I couldn't remember nor imagine a time without her, as though she had always been with me and always would be.

So when Mel left it was truly devastating. April 17 2009, a day I will never forget and one that will haunt me forever. She looked at me with eyes that told me it was time for us to say goodbye and my heart broke into a thousand pieces.

Just a few days earlier Chris and I had set a date for our wedding. Looking back I wonder if Mel was waiting for the right time to leave. A time when she felt that she could go, safe in the knowledge that I had found someone else who could be my rock, a new best friend to take over from where she left, although no one would never ever replace her.

Melody was 29 when she left for the bridge. We had spent over two decades together. She also left behind little "Boysie", her inseparable field companion of over 16 years. Two years later, after battling with various illnesses, Boysie went to join his Melly at the bridge. I believe losing his best friend affected him hugely and contributed to his ill health. I miss them both greatly and more than I can explain in words.

To My Melly: Not a day goes by when I don't wish for you to still be here. It was an honour to have you in my life and for you to trust me like you did. Loving you was easy, letting you go the hardest thing ever but the right thing to do. Nothing and no one will ever fill the gap you left behind but I know that our friendship and the wonderful memories will stay with me for eternity. Gallop through the meadows with your beloved Boysie. In my dreams we are all together again xxx

Melody ~ 5 July 1980 - 17 April 2009
mel.jpg

Best friends
MB.jpg

MBAug2006.jpg

The Horse Prayer:

Feed me, give me water, and care for me, and when the day's work is done, give me shelter, a clean bed and a wide stall.

Talk to me. Your voice often substitutes for the reins for me.

Be good to me and I will serve you cheerfully and love you.

Don't jerk the reins and don't raise the whip.

Don't beat or kick me when I don't understand you,

but rather give me time to understand you.

Don't consider it disobedience if I don't follow your commands.

Perhaps there is a problem with my saddle and bridle or hooves.

Check my teeth if I don't eat, maybe I have a toothache.

You know how that hurts.

Don't halter me too short and don't dock my tail... it's my only weapon against flies and mosquitoes.

And at the end, dear master, when I am no longer any use to you, don't let me go hungry or freeze and don't sell me.

Don't give me a master who slowly tortures me to death and lets me starve, but rather be merciful and take care of me, by letting me run and enjoy a warm pasture.

Let me request this of you and please don't regard it as disrespectful if I ask it in the name of Him who was born in a stable like me.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful tribute for a beautiful girl. I'm sure she felt the same way about you, loved you dearly.

Hugs for you and have fun galloping through the meadows gorgeous Melody xxxxx

Ahhh! What a beautiful girl Melody was.

I know just how you feel as I had to say farewell to an equine friend of 20 years some 7 years ago, when he was approximatley 32. One of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It is something I had dreaded for many years but when the time came I knew it was the only kind and right thing left for me to do for him. I know that William is free from pain and as agile as a youngster now his soul has left his aged body and I know we will be reunited one day as you and Melody will. Perhaps she and William are friends, he was always one for the ladies ;)

Melody was very fortunate to share her life with you and to still be thought of with such love, these are things that other ponies can only dream of.

Can't believe another year has passed. They go so quickly. I wish I could have some of them again :(

The tears began even before I was halfway through this. By the end they were trickling. When I saw the pictures, and read the final part, they poured.
This touched me deeply. I dont know why,why SO deeply, but it has.
Beautiful, stunning tribute.

Thinking of you and the lovely Melody (((HUGS))) its been such a tough time for you lately hope your looking after yourself xxx

Bless you Jen - and Bless Melody as she canters in the sky - overtaking Trixie as she's briefly stopped to eat dandelions in her new place of rest.

J

Back