• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weeping eye- whats causing it?

trixibelle

Young Bun
Hi there,

for the past couple of days my bunny has had a weeping eye, but just on one side. I notices there is a white discharge coming out and I have been cleaning the area with salt water. If it doesnt clear up I am taking her to the vet but I am really worried about what this could be and wondered if anyone has any ideas? I am a bit scared as last time my rabbit had weeping eyes it eneded up being put down as they thought its teeth were in-growing though in the end it endeded up looking like he had mixamtosis as he became blind and paralysed.

So please let me know if you have had the same problem- i just want to be prepared for what it might be,

Many Thansks!!!

Hi there :wave:

I'm so sorry about your other bun :cry:

Watery eyes can be caused by or be the symptoms of several things, see this link for some of them: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-8/eye-problems.html

On the one hand I think it's a positive that only one is watering as I believe this means that the problem is probably confined to that one eye and is not a symptom of another underlying illness.

It could be anything, even something simply that has irritated his eye. Don't panic but I would advise that you take him to the vet as soon as poss.

In the mean time, if your bun is not overly feisty you can bathe the eye to soothe it. Wrap bunny up in a towel, firmly but not too tight, or if he's ok you can do it with him upside-down. Bathe the eye and the fur around it in outward strokes using a cotton pad dipped in cooled boiled water. I test a bit on my own eye first to see if it's cool enough.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

One of my bunnies had a weepy eye and it didnt clear with bathing, a short course of antibiotics and eye drops did the trick:)
Id bathe daily and wath for an improvement, we knew there was none when the hair near her eye started looking a little odd and the vet said it was dermatitis caused by the weeping.Shes fine now

One of my bunnies had a weepy eye and it didnt clear with bathing, a short course of antibiotics and eye drops did the trick:)
Id bathe daily and wath for an improvement, we knew there was none when the hair near her eye started looking a little odd and the vet said it was dermatitis caused by the weeping.Shes fine now

I did not mean to just bathe the eye and see how it goes, I suggest she could bathe it in the mean time before seeing the vet, but she should get to the the vet asap as they will be able to make a much better diagnosis. Do do wait for an improvement, professionals advice is always best.

Yes the tears can really irritate the skin surrounding the eye and cause the fur to matt or thin. This is where bathing can help because it loosens the salt in the fur and calms the skin beneath.

If you have a rabbit with chronically weepy eyes I would recommend clipping away the surrounding fur to prevent it absorbing the tears and burning the skin.

You can then apply vaseline or sudocreme as a barrier cream to the affected skin to prevent inflammation.

But be *very* careful clipping around the eyes :shock:

Janex

Obviously. I was lucky to have a co-operative patient. I think he was as fed up of cleaning his eyes as I was :rolleyes:

I meant clipping with nail scissors too, not actually clippers.

Obviously. I was lucky to have a co-operative patient. I think he was as fed up of cleaning his eyes as I was :rolleyes:

I meant clipping with nail scissors too, not actually clippers.

Hmmmm, personally I would not go near the eyes with scissors either :?
Just a personal opinion ;)

Janex

Hmmmm, personally I would not go near the eyes with scissors either :?
Just a personal opinion ;)

Janex

As I said, they were round ended and I had a co-operative patient. His eyes were getting very sore and swollen so we needed to do something.

It does not sound like this rabbit has reached that stage yet though.

Edit: Oops I didnt say they were round ended :oops::oops: anyway...

As I said, they were round ended and I had a co-operative patient. His eyes were getting very sore and swollen so we needed to do something.

It does not sound like this rabbit has reached that stage yet though.

Edit: Oops I didnt say they were round ended :oops::oops: anyway...

PM received and understood :D

Sending mega de-stress vibes

Janex :wave:

PM received and understood :D

Sending mega de-stress vibes

Janex :wave:

Sorry Jane, your the last person I would have a pop at over rabbit care, I was just having a really awful day (infact still am, have two anorexic bucks :cry:).

We were both only airing our opinions. :D

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread. :oops::oops: I hope something I have said may have been useful.

ha its ok thanks for the suggestions! it got much better but has started again! :( definitely a trip to the vet then.....

Back