• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floki the wild baby rabbit

Jonm

Alpha Buck
Well the story goes like this,

I come downstairs to notice a baby rabbit sitting in the back garden, so i pop next door to borrow their carrier (they have small pets) to find the rabbit in the front garden, I take my eye off it and then loose it.... I then drive to a course just a few miles away and park the car on Tesco's, At lunch time I notice another small rabbit next to my car?!? the following day I drive back to the course and notice the rabbit again. I then drive around 20miles away to my folks place and tell them about the rabbit to notice the rabbit sitting next to my wheel again! I watch as it ran under the car and jumped into the engine bay.

I pop the bonnet to find it sitting on the underside engine tray. With no way of getting it out without a major strip down I drive home slowly stopping where I can for a few mins near grassy areas thinking that it might jump out... I arrive home and pop the bonnet again to find it still there! Out comes the hose pipe. with water spraying in one side I eventually get her out by removing the fog light and sliding her through the hole.

She was quite shaken and wet from all the water so we wrapped her up and then let her out in a run to chill out.

Over the next few days we let her out in the kitchen to help her build up her strength again and fed her plenty of grass and carrots. Originally I was going to pass her on to the wildlife welfare hospital for rehoming/releasing but after a visit to the vets where we were told that due to us handling her and the fact she was so tame with us she wouldn't last long out there at her age.

So off we when to the local pet shop to buy a hutch and toys...

Taken after we just rescued her from the engine bay
10338338_10152463938610439_6177182545082790273_n.jpg

10269387_10152464048320439_742625476012937138_n.jpg

A few days later
1620892_10152466180895439_2513866477912624133_n.jpg

2 weeks later she is playing with her toys
10253782_10152517556450439_2370851252710727644_n.jpg

Always trying to climb our legs and play

Floki the Rabbit by Jon Morgan, on Flickr

Her inside home for a week or so while we figured out what to do

Where she now lives

Loves to just cuddle in

A few days with us by Jon Morgan, on Flickr

I'll keep this thread updated with pics...

Last edited:
She's beautiful!
I've just had two hours of binkies, grooming and tooth purrs from my two, but looking at her makes me totally want another bunny snuggle!
Love how she decided you were her hoomin and wouldn't let you out of her sight til you adopted her!

Wonderful story!!

As you will find as s/he grows up - wildies need a LOT of space and entertainment.

Tamsin on here has one as a houserabbit - we have three in outdoor runs - they need at least 9ft by 6ft I would say as a permanent 'House' area - preferably with tunnels and extra levels to go up and down - - with larger run areas as well to get more exercise in. They are incredibly fast.

They can also be bonded with a friend (after neutering) as domestic buns can - but you have to be careful as they are so quick and have such needle sharp claws they can actually be quite 'dangerous' to a bun they take a dislike to so make sure the bonding is overseen carefully!!!

Soo adorable! She really wanted you to be her human! Sweet!

My rabbit before Amy was a wild born buck we called Pipkin; a friend of my mum's was walking her dog when he killed a mother rabbit. She took the three kits home, just a couple of weeks old, and hand reared them. We got Pipkin when he was a few months old. He loved cuddles, would jump up on the computer desk to get them, and was full of mischief and naughtiness. He lived six years and died last September.

Aww she's very cute, and very cuddly for a wildie that hasn't been handreared!

They do turn into little horrors as they grow up :lol: Very lively and into everything so you'll probably need to think about a very big run to attach to the hutch in a month or twos time.

My wildie Scamp lives indoors as a house rabbit - he's litter trained and loves hanging around with people too :)

:love: :love: The fact that she kept jumping into the engine is almost as if she wanted to go wherever you went!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back