• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I rebond male bunnies?

SophieKin

New Kit
I have sibling male bunnies who are 7 months old. They lived together happily outside in a large hutch and run until about 6 weeks ago. I’d noticed one of the bunnies was getting increasingly aggressive and constantly mounting and biting the other. I’d been trying to get them neutered from about 4 months old but I’ve really struggled to get either of them booked in for the operation. About 6 weeks ago I found the quieter bunny was bleeding and after a visit to the vet it became apparent the aggressive bunny had attacked him on his private parts and left a pretty bad injury. ( it’s still unclear how this will affect him long term) I’ve now obviously separated the bunnies but they are both living outside with separate hutches and runs. They can both still see one another as the runs are side by side but have no contact. The set up I have is not ideal for us long term and my question is can I ever rebond the bunnies so they can live together again? (I cannot get the injured bunny neutered just yet but I am hoping to book the other bunny in very soon so when they are both neutered!)

I think it will be difficult to bond them due to the fact they have had a fight and one has been injured. It would be best for them to each have a girlfriend. I took on a Rabbit who had been attacked by his mate, the previous owner kept the other Bunny and the one I have is very happy with a female who is neutered.

If you are going to try to rebond them, get them both neutered and give them plenty of time (several months) afterwards before you re-introduce them on completely neutral territory. I would be very wary about them rebonding, and put a contingency in place should it show any signs of not working out. It's not worth risking another serious injury. The safer option would be to get both neutered and get each a neutered female partner.

Back