• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how many of you have 4+ buns & brush their "About ToBe Shed" fur off during sheddiing

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
how many of you have 4+ buns & brush their "About ToBe Shed" fur off during sheddiing

So I only have 2 buns. And during fur shedding season, normally it's Jan/Feb.. and Aug./Sept. that is usually the big shed, and some years, in Nov. as a mini micky mouse shed.

So for a regular women size plastic comb, my bun will shed 6 comb full of fur. Which isn't that much. But some other time, such as now, he shed 12+ comb full of fur. At last July, he shed 21 comb of fur. So it's a major job to comb out that much fur.

I wonder for those of you who own 4 or more buns, how do you have time to do it? How do you have time to comb out say 12+ comb full of fur per bun? if we don't comb it out, they'll get Gi stasis, or when 1 bun licks the other, he gets GI stasis. In short, it's better to comb out those fur, as they are going to shed them anyway.

Or do you use exotic pet trimmer to get the top coat off?

I have seen 1 video that the owner try to use vacuum cleaner to suck out the fur. Does that really work?

if you people doesn't use the comb, what do you do to get those fur off?

So I only have 2 buns. And during fur shedding season, normally it's Jan/Feb.. and Aug./Sept. that is usually the big shed, and some years, in Nov. as a mini micky mouse shed.

So for a regular women size plastic comb, my bun will shed 6 comb full of fur. Which isn't that much. But some other time, such as now, he shed 12+ comb full of fur. At last July, he shed 21 comb of fur. So it's a major job to comb out that much fur.

I wonder for those of you who own 4 or more buns, how do you have time to do it? How do you have time to comb out say 12+ comb full of fur per bun? if we don't comb it out, they'll get Gi stasis, or when 1 bun licks the other, he gets GI stasis. In short, it's better to comb out those fur, as they are going to shed them anyway.

Or do you use exotic pet trimmer to get the top coat off?

I have seen 1 video that the owner try to use vacuum cleaner to suck out the fur. Does that really work?

if you people doesn't use the comb, what do you do to get those fur off?
I have 4 buns, the 2 rexes have weird rex coats which you can't like brush tbh... So we pluck them [emoji38] not literally, basically do it by hand which takes a long time tbf, but they really enjoy it, and Clementine grooms me back which is nice. I can easily spend an hour with Clementine in the evening grooming her, Atticus the other rex doesn't seem to shed like she does and takes less time.

The other two I use a pet mit, I've never found a comb or brush that really works on their fur tbh, except one dog comb which they don't really like, takes about 10 mins each a day? So not long, and it's only when they're shedding.

Its weird because I kinda know what you mean, I had two mini lops before and they needed combing, and I'd get so much off them it was crazy.. But their fur type felt different to my white rabbits fur, it was way fluffier I used to leave it out for the birds for nesting material.. The white bun fur is thicker and more wiry.... So maybe it comes down to their fur type?

I've only hoovered a dog, wouldn't hoover a bun personally..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

how do you get the fur off the pet mit ? is it Norwex?
I'm not sure what Norwex is?

I just get it off with my hand, it's rubber so it all collects together when I smush it with my hand then I remove it. The cat zoom groom by Kong works well too.. However if yours need combing and you get all that fluffy undercoat stuff coming off in the comb, I'd say carry on, that'll be the most effective way of doing it.. I just seem to have 4 buns with weird fur...

I was expecting the combing of the fluffy fur to be a thing with the white buns, just never was, because of their fur type. Your two sound like what my mini lops fur was like.

My animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, cats) are all long furred and get combed through every week. On my own, it takes maybe 20 mins to do the rabbits and guinea pigs. The 6 or so long haired cats take about half an hour (including ears and claws), depending on how long it takes to catch them - they are mostly not keen on being groomed so hide when they realise what's happening.

I use a double-sided metal dog comb. I find that human plastic combs don't do a particularly good job on the fur types I have. If you do them regularly, it doesn't take long. At peak moult season, they may take twice as long for a few weeks. They shed fur all year round and if it is not removed, they are likely to ingest it - and it may be the fur of a companion rabbit that is ingested through mutual grooming - so they do need doing regularly. Short haired rabbits seem to take just as long to groom as I find it more difficult to remove the loose fur. Brushing them outside in a breeze helps as you can ruffle the fur and the wind takes the loose bits away.

I wear an old cagoule when I am grooming the animals so that my clothes are less furry afterwards, and have a dog poo bag at the side of me to put the waste fur in as I clear the comb out - otherwise it ends up everywhere. I also have cotton buds, nail clippers and scissors to hand in case they are needed and I can do all the bits that need doing in one go.

that's exactly it. I only have 2 buns. But if I adopt 2 more, and it's peak fur shed season, I'm guessing 3 hr. is needed to comb out all those fur for 4 buns. Is that how everyone is ? meaning everyone is in the same boat? my biggest problem is, the fur is stuck on the comb, I can accelerate use a vacuum cleaner to suck the fur. But there is so much fur, it can suck up 1 bag easily.

Doing it outside is a great idea, but only in the summer

that's exactly it. I only have 2 buns. But if I adopt 2 more, and it's peak fur shed season, I'm guessing 3 hr. is needed to comb out all those fur for 4 buns. Is that how everyone is ? meaning everyone is in the same boat? my biggest problem is, the fur is stuck on the comb, I can accelerate use a vacuum cleaner to suck the fur. But there is so much fur, it can suck up 1 bag easily.

Doing it outside is a great idea, but only in the summer

The timings I quoted are for ALL the animals - not each one. So I do the rabbits and guinea pigs in about 20 mins TOTAL. Currently 2 very fluffy rabbits (cashmere type fur) and a large lionhead cross. The multiple guinea pigs are all long furred as well. All get done once a week. If it is a very heavy moult, they may get done twice a week as each animals needs are re-assessed at that time.

You develop a technique over time, and the animals get used to it. I can't see any of mine sitting still for more than 5 mins each, so I work in a pattern which is effective at removing loose fur and preventing mats. The comb does need emptying frequently - there's no way round that.

I would never use a vacuum cleaner on the actual animal.

The timings I quoted are for ALL the animals - not each one. So I do the rabbits and guinea pigs in about 20 mins TOTAL. Currently 2 very fluffy rabbits (cashmere type fur) and a large lionhead cross. The multiple guinea pigs are all long furred as well. All get done once a week. If it is a very heavy moult, they may get done twice a week as each animals needs are re-assessed at that time.

You develop a technique over time, and the animals get used to it. I can't see any of mine sitting still for more than 5 mins each, so I work in a pattern which is effective at removing loose fur and preventing mats. The comb does need emptying frequently - there's no way round that.

I would never use a vacuum cleaner on the actual animal.

Yea I agree, although with my mini lops you could just keep on brushing for like an hour and it would keep filling up combs! Idk why. I've not had that experience this time round.

Definitely wouldn't hoover a bun! My dog used to like being vacuumed though [emoji38] tbh it didn't really do much because most of what had to come off was from her "trousers" area, so a good comb or slicker type brush was the best for it... Again needed emptying every 30 seconds [emoji38] but we'd vacuum her back area for a minute because she liked it [emoji38]

Yea I agree, although with my mini lops you could just keep on brushing for like an hour and it would keep filling up combs! Idk why. I've not had that experience this time round.

that's exactly it. The comb keep getting filled, how on earth can Shimmer do it in 20 min.? I fill up the comb in a few min., but my problem is, it takes some time to pull the fur out and they get stuck on my finger, so it's hard for me to dump on the trash can.

Shimmer, like Grace said, the comb keep getting filled, so how on earth can you do it in 20 min.?

that's exactly it. The comb keep getting filled, how on earth can Shimmer do it in 20 min.? I fill up the comb in a few min., but my problem is, it takes some time to pull the fur out and they get stuck on my finger, so it's hard for me to dump on the trash can.

Shimmer, like Grace said, the comb keep getting filled, so how on earth can you do it in 20 min.?
I'm thinking it depends on the animals fur type.. Are you using a metal pet comb? I found that super easy to keep pulling the fur off quickly as it slides off - I'll have a quicker Google of the type I used to use for them... Other than that I have no solution [emoji51]

Ancol Just 4 Pets Animal Double Sided Comb, Small https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002JK02O8/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_jbCfEbTRQJNJK

Not this exact one, but it was just like this, the wider section was the best for it!

Is most of it coming off the lower butt area? Like if they're facing away from you the bit that's almost touching the floor? That was the bit I could just keep brushing [emoji38]

Last edited:

It comes with practice...and with animals that are not going to sit still for very long anyway, so I have to be quite methodical. I work in quarters - front / back and left / right. With the longer fur at the bum, I work from the legs up towards the hips / spine in order to get the bottom layer of undercoat groomed properly - so working in 'layers' upwards. With the shorter fur, I usually comb it in the direction of growth.

You are never going to get all the 'loose' fur out, as the more you brush, the more will come out - so you need to know when the job is actually done. Sometimes there may be very little fur that is combed out, but it still needs doing to maintain the condition of the coat (and the cooperation of the rabbit). At other times, I have a pile of fur the size of the rabbit it came off.

The comb I use is a similar type to the one Graciee linked to. You need dry hands to remove the fur. Any dampness, and it does stick. Or you could try a piece of tissue / kitchen roll instead of direct skin contact to empty the comb.

No, the metal can harm their skin, as their skin is ultra thin. I only use plastic comb. It's coming off on both side of their body. There are also some that comes off the butt

Back