• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

potential first time rabbit owner

Hi! I'm Claire

Firstly I've never wanted to own a rabbit, I look after them daily and don't need to take my work home, but one has made is way into my heart and I'm trialling him over this week to see how it goes.
He's 3-4 years old and was dropped off at a store with pasteurella, runny eyes, overgrown spurs and blocked tear ducts. So after a dental, lots of medication to get him on the mend, a castration and awaiting surgery for help with his narrow tear ducts after flushing them hasn't helped he's living at mine.

I'd like to make an educated decision and find out everything that entailed before I commit to adopting him properly as I'd like to make him a free roaming house rabbit :)

No name yet, I wanted him to have a fresh start so suggestions are welcome
Looking forward to learning more, please be gentle :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm glad you are taking him in :love:

you may find that at first he will mark his territory with poop until he settles in, but if you keep sweeping it up and putting it into a litter tray with newspaper topped with hay you should find he will get the hang of litter training, if he hasn't already :thumb: I would ensure everything is rabbit proof - charger cables, electric cables etc need to be out of reach. If you can't rabbit proof a full room then I would suggest using puppy pens to make a large safe area for him.

I'm not sure if you wanted suggestions on care or his name so I do apologise if I'm giving you info you already know :oops::lol:

Hi! I'm Claire

Firstly I've never wanted to own a rabbit, I look after them daily and don't need to take my work home, but one has made is way into my heart and I'm trialling him over this week to see how it goes.
He's 3-4 years old and was dropped off at a store with pasteurella, runny eyes, overgrown spurs and blocked tear ducts. So after a dental, lots of medication to get him on the mend, a castration and awaiting surgery for help with his narrow tear ducts after flushing them hasn't helped he's living at mine.

I'd like to make an educated decision and find out everything that entailed before I commit to adopting him properly as I'd like to make him a free roaming house rabbit :)

No name yet, I wanted him to have a fresh start so suggestions are welcome
Looking forward to learning more, please be gentle :)
Can we see a picture of him??

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back