• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oat hay comparison

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
eric LOVES burns green oat hay but half of the bag is just bits so all i can use it for is scattering in the base of his litter tray.

searching for something similar that may be longer stalks all the way through the pack, i see that there is also an oxbow oat hay.

does anyone use the oxbow one and does it go down well with your buns (is it much different to the burns one?).

I havent tried Burns hay (because I've never seen it for sale anywhere to try it :oops:) but Oxbow's Oat Hay is the favourite choice for my two buns, they go absolutely nuts for it :love: especially the stalks that have the oat seeds on them! But at £4.80 for a small bag, it's too expensive to feed freely unless I want to be bankrupt so I only put a good handful on top of their pile of field hay :shock:

There is usually a bit of dust at the bottom of the bag, but it's defintily mostly full of stalky long edible bits.

I havent tried Burns hay (because I've never seen it for sale anywhere to try it :oops:) but Oxbow's Oat Hay is the favourite choice for my two buns, they go absolutely nuts for it :love: especially the stalks that have the oat seeds on them! But at £4.80 for a small bag, it's too expensive to feed freely unless I want to be bankrupt so I only put a good handful on top of their pile of field hay :shock:

There is usually a bit of dust at the bottom of the bag, but it's defintily mostly full of stalky long edible bits.

thanks:D i'll still have to buy it online but i thought i'd check if it was worth it (eric & esme don't get that scattered so freely either - i reckon they'd go off it if they had too much of it;))

Hmm. All our buns have the burns green oat hay, but ronnie and lola especially love it. When i tried them on the oxbow oat hay they wouldnt eat it :? However, the do eat the oxbow western timothy as an alternative if they have to after protest for a day or 2 :lol:

xXx

Hmm. All our buns have the burns green oat hay, but ronnie and lola especially love it. When i tried them on the oxbow oat hay they wouldnt eat it :? However, the do eat the oxbow western timothy as an alternative if they have to after protest for a day or 2 :lol:

xXx

just realised that the oxbow stuff is only half the amount for similar price:?

Send your bags of dust back to Burns. I did and they sent me four free bags!

:shock: did you ring them first to say you would be sending it back? is the address on the bag? (i'll go look!). i've emptied a lot of the rubbish bits out now tho:(

:shock: did you ring them first to say you would be sending it back? is the address on the bag? (i'll go look!). i've emptied a lot of the rubbish bits out now tho:(

I emailed them and got two bags free basically saying I didnt want to pay postage by sending my bags back.

just realised that the oxbow stuff is only half the amount for similar price:?

Exactly why my buns don't get oodles of it :lol: I've looked at Burn's oat hay on The Hay Experts website, I'm not sure I like the idea of it being chopped? My buns always turn their noses up at chopped hay :?

Back