• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Norma is being Spayed today. U/Date 18.09.19

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Please send some recovery vibes. I feel fairly confident she will be ok but you never know. There has been a couple of rabbits die whilst being neutered recently but I don't know which Vets they were at.

Last edited:
Please send some recovery vibes. I feel fairly confident she will be ok but you never know. There has been a couple of rabbits die whilst being neutered recently but I don't know which Vets they were at.
Sending lots of vibes for Norma xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

We're home now. Norma is still drowsy although they operated at about 10.30. She is on a fleece blanket in my lounge and I have picked some Milk Thistle and Plantain for her. Thank you for all your vibes. Lots of new faces at the Vets!

I hope she recovered nicely overnight and enjoyed her milk thistle and plantain :love:

We have poohs and wees but she does not want to eat. I have just picked some grass but she isn't interested - I will leave it for a bit longer. Normally ime the bunny has eaten what you leave the night before by the time you get up.

Sending lots of vibes for Norma. I hope she's feeling more like eating this morning.

sending you and Norma some more vibes. The anesthesia may take some time to wear off, plus any pain relief she got could be making her a bit sleepy.

Norma started to perk up yesterday around 3 pm, I was beginning to get worried but she looked a lot brighter and started to eat. This has been quite a long time compared with all my other Does I have had spayed. Anyway she had her 2 day check today and she has been "messing" with her stitches and I was asked if I wanted to put a cone or vest on her but in 20 years I have never done this and never had a problem so I declined. The wound isn't as good as I have seen them but hopefully she is going to be ok and I get a feeling she wants to go back outside but maybe tomorrow, I shall be feeling a lot more relaxed in a couple of days. Norma is a very bright rabbit, I don't know where she was bred but she has had 2 owners before she came to me, not including her birth home, and she is only 9 months old. A beautiful ginger Lionhead. Thank you for all your vibes.

Just checked Norma's spay wound and all looks good, clean and white, still has stitches in! So I am putting her back outside as I don't want her to start losing her winter coat, although I have kept the heating off while she has been indoors but it is still warmer than outside.

I’m glad she is doing well :love: it’s a lovely day here, so I think it’s a good day for her to go back out :thumb:

Just a little worry. I have just checked Norma's tummy and it is a little swollen along the wound line. It isn't red just swollen and I have never noticed this before in any of my other Does. Just rang the Vets and they think it is ok and she gets her 10 day check on Friday but just wondered if anyone else has had this problem.

Norma is still not right - the Vet has advised she wears a vest. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow she was spayed. She is fine in herself but the wound isn't healing as well as it should. I have never had this problem before with a spay and I am a little worried. Has anyone got any advice?

I'm sorry that Norma's wound is still giving cause for concern. I've encountered this issue with human wounds and it has been because of infection, even when that infection has not been evident. It sounds as though your vet is thinking that Norma is maybe picking at it. Sending her lots of vibes. I hope it resolves itself soon.

Back