• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After spay, no poops?

Graciee

Staff member
Okay so we got home about 5, carefully lifted her into her cage, she hopped a few times to her bed, and had been there ever since. She's not eaten or drank or pooped or peed. I've just given her critical care how often should I do this if she continues not to eat etc? And how long til I need to be concerned about no poops? Any advice appreciated she just seems really sleepy (which is understandable) I just wanna make sure shes okay :(
0a185d8b38a75d2313045a16cc94889c.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Has she got extra pain relief?

I feed every 2 to 4 hours. If she's not eating by herself tomorrow I'd get in contact with your vets as she may need gut mobility meds. She should have been passing faeces before leaving the vets. Ensure you keep offering her herbs, hay, grass etc. Anything she normally likes to eat and ensure she stays warm.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Has she got extra pain relief?

I feed every 2 to 4 hours. If she's not eating by herself tomorrow I'd get in contact with your vets as she may need gut mobility meds. She should have been passing faeces before leaving the vets. Ensure you keep offering her herbs, hay, grass etc. Anything she normally likes to eat and ensure she stays warm.

She has loxicom but was told to give it to her tomorrow morning. I'll feed her that often thank you for time guide :) she's not interested in anything food wise :( and she's not produced any faeces.

She has loxicom but was told to give it to her tomorrow morning. I'll feed her that often thank you for time guide :) she's not interested in anything food wise :( and she's not produced any faeces.

Good she's got some extra pain relief to keep her going.

Being in pain will stop her from wanting to eat, and if she's not eaten since leaving surgery it's possible her tummy is slowing down. If you're happy to do every 2 hours I'd recommend it - then as she starts to eat more you can leave it longer between feeds.

Any concerns call your vets for advice - they may be able to give her some gut mobility meds for tonight too x

I think loxicom starts after 24 hours - if its the same as Dillon has. I did grind pellets with some fresh basil and warm water and syringe feed Dillon this (he loves basil). Hppe all goes well

Good she's got some extra pain relief to keep her going.

Being in pain will stop her from wanting to eat, and if she's not eaten since leaving surgery it's possible her tummy is slowing down. If you're happy to do every 2 hours I'd recommend it - then as she starts to eat more you can leave it longer between feeds.

Any concerns call your vets for advice - they may be able to give her some gut mobility meds for tonight too x

Yea I'll do it every 2 hours that's fine :) vets closed now - how long til it's dangerous that she's not pooped? :( there's another vets I could probably convince to give me Emeprid if it was needed.

Yea I'll do it every 2 hours that's fine :) vets closed now - how long til it's dangerous that she's not pooped? :( there's another vets I could probably convince to give me Emeprid if it was needed.

Once you're syringe feeding she should be passing faeces within a few hours... could be up to 6 hours but normally sooner than that x
Just keep the food going in ;)

Once you're syringe feeding she should be passing faeces within a few hours... could be up to 6 hours but normally sooner than that x
Just keep the food going in ;)

Thank you so much, that's super helpful xx

Still nothing getting really worried :(

You can up the feed to every hour if you'd like and she is tolerating it. If there are any brambles in your garden, offer her a couple leaves... for some reason buns like them when they aren't feeling too great.

Don't forget you can also call the OOH vets for advice & info. They can advise if she needs to be seen tonight & they might have some meds they can give OTC or to help put your mind at rest they may be able to give her a check over for you tonight x

ETA - I'm going to bed now but will check on first thing in the morning. Make use of the OOH vets if you've any concerns about her progress xx

You can up the feed to every hour if you'd like and she is tolerating it. If there are any brambles in your garden, offer her a couple leaves... for some reason buns like them when they aren't feeling too great.

Don't forget you can also call the OOH vets for advice & info. They can advise if she needs to be seen tonight & they might have some meds they can give OTC or to help put your mind at rest they may be able to give her a check over for you tonight x

ETA - I'm going to bed now but will check on first thing in the morning. Make use of the OOH vets if you've any concerns about her progress xx

Thanks for your help, they're very far away from me unfortunately :( I just wish she'd poop - anyway night and thanks for everything :) x

Do you have a print out of what she was given at the vets? Probably had a gut motility injection along with pain relief.

Do you have a print out of what she was given at the vets? Probably had a gut motility injection along with pain relief.
Print out doesn't have the breakdown of what she was given unfortunately :(

Have you tried syringe feeding warm water? In my experience that was good for restarting a slowing gut. Or, even better, peppermint tea.

My little one Beatrice was very poorly for three days after her spay. We had to syringe feed her to make sure she didn't shut down, but even then it took her a while to poop. We mixed up a concoction of banana and pureed pellets to try and tempt her appetite. We also found that buying her a snugglesafe helped to make her tummy feel less sore. She is a beautiful rabbit, by the way. Sending you my best wishes <3

Have you tried syringe feeding warm water? In my experience that was good for restarting a slowing gut. Or, even better, peppermint tea.
On that now thanks I'd never have thought of that :) xx

My little one Beatrice was very poorly for three days after her spay. We had to syringe feed her to make sure she didn't shut down, but even then it took her a while to poop. We mixed up a concoction of banana and pureed pellets to try and tempt her appetite. We also found that buying her a snugglesafe helped to make her tummy feel less sore. She is a beautiful rabbit, by the way. Sending you my best wishes <3

Thank you so much :) my other two needed aftercare but they still pooped so she's really scared me haha I have a snugglesafe for her but was gunna wait til tomorrow incase she fell asleep got too hot and didn't realise because of anesthetic (I may be crazy) but maybe I should heat it up for her thanks for suggestion xx

Out of hours costs £150 just because it's after 11pm and £50 for appointment wow... Not sure how that can exsist when vets4pets will charge you normal consultation price [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Grace - I have been out and come back to see your thread.

What's the update?
Well nothing yet, fed her three times now just hoping she'll do something - if not I've spoken to vets4pets and they've said they'll give me Emeprid shot or liquid my choice but to keep doing what I'm doing and call them back if I want the Emeprid - so I'm hoping by 12 I'll know what I'm doing :) thanks for checking in xx

Back