• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pasteurella

Graciee

Staff member
Hi has anyone dealt with pasteurella in bunnies before?

There's a rabbit that needs a home and it has pasteurella.

I've been told she needs 'special' bedding (basically not sawdust [emoji38])

Cannot live with any other buns

And has to live outside constantly as the fresh air is good for her lungs..?

^^other than the bedding, as I'm sure no one on here puts their buns on that stuff anyway..but what do you guys think about the other two things she has to have?

Would my other buns be at risk?
Is it difficult to care for a bun with it?
Could she really not have a friend?
Can humans catch it?

Not necessarily going to do anything about it. I'm just curious really, I'd like to possibly help but I have to think about Atticus and him not being very resilient.

Would love to hear anything and everything you guys know about pasteurella :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

^^other than the bedding, as I'm sure no one on here puts their buns on that stuff anyway..but what do you guys think about the other two things she has to have?

Can humans catch it?

Not necessarily going to do anything about it. I'm just curious really, I'd like to possibly help but I have to think about Atticus and him not being very resilient.

I've loads to say but not enough time to say it for you :lol:

Where did you see this bunny?
The meaning of what you've been told all depends on who told it to you ... if you see what I mean ;)

Can humans catch it?

Pasteurella is often carried at a sub clinical level by Rabbits and it can remain that way until the Rabbit's immune system comes under duress and then symptoms can present. Often respiratory tract related. It is a highly contagious pathogen, but that said it can be that a Rabbit with a history of 'active' Pasteurella can live with another Rabbit and that other Rabbit never displays any symptoms. Although they could well be an asymptomatic carrier.

Also, it is now known that not all cases of Respiratory Tract Infections in Rabbits are caused by Pasteurella, other bacteria can cause the same symptoms.

These links provide accurate information about Pasteurella

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Pasteurellosis_lagomorphs.htm

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/exotic...its/bacterial-and-mycotic-diseases-of-rabbits

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/637.pdf?LA=1

Some yucky images on this link :
https://www.lbah.com/word/rabbit/pasteurella-rabbit/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topic...and-veterinary-medicine/pasteurella-multocida

And finally re human health risks

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pet-rabbits-health/

Can humans catch it?

My late CX had Pasturella. He lived a dozen years in my bedroom. I have allergies so CX and I both benefited from a good air filter and a clean environment.
CX and I were often nose to nose, and I never caught his pasturella.
His condition was initially controlled by occasional antibiotics. The antibiotics were changed three or four times and eventually he was on antibiotics daily. He had regular vet bills for medications (antibiotics, eye drops, etc), cultures, chest and head X-rays etc. He had a few bouts of pneumonia when he got older.
Pasturella can be contagious. CX did not have a bunny friend, but I did have other bunnies in the home who did not get Pasturella. Even though the other bunnies were not in the same room as CX, and I cared for CX after my other bunnies; the bedroom was on the same furnace/ventilation as the rest of the home.
CX needed his litterbox changed daily. Litter for the box was a challenge so we used newspapers or bath towels.
There may be different strains of Pasturella so my experience with CX may not be representative of what you may experience with the other bunny.

Back