• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whie liquid in rabbits cage, any idea what it is?

ellie5

Young Bun
Hi:wave:
My 2 rabbits are both females, the other day there was a white liquid there. Do anybody know what it is?:(e

I suspect it's urine. Bunny wee can range from a white, chalky colour through to an orangey-red.

Wee most likely.

My guess is you fed them some calcium rich veg that day, or overfed the veg, or overfed pellets, for it to be actually white. Is it runny (wee consistency) or more of a paste? If it is thicker than normal I'd contact the vet for advice, as could indicate calcium or kidney issues.

Wee most likely.

My guess is you fed them some calcium rich veg that day, or overfed the veg, or overfed pellets, for it to be actually white. Is it runny (wee consistency) or more of a paste? If it is thicker than normal I'd contact the vet for advice, as could indicate calcium or kidney issues.

Thankyou, I was really starting to get worried there, and it is just a runny liquid. I'm not very experienced with rabbits these are my first two, so thankyou for the advice/answer:D

I remember my old bun Hazel did some red wee once - I was terrified she was bleeding! But apparently that's normal too, all signs of what they've been eating.

Thankyou, I was really starting to get worried there, and it is just a runny liquid. I'm not very experienced with rabbits these are my first two, so thankyou for the advice/answer:D

Well white wee, especially if it is often, is a sign of too much calcium in the diet, which can eventually cause long-term serious health problems, so if you like, if you post what you feed them, we can take a look and say if it looks okay? Make sure you post quantities of everything, and any brands, as that is very important :) I know when I first got rabbits as an adult (care has changed a lot since I had them as a kid) that I was feeding completely the wrong diet till I came on here and realised what he should have.

Well white wee, especially if it is often, is a sign of too much calcium in the diet, which can eventually cause long-term serious health problems, so if you like, if you post what you feed them, we can take a look and say if it looks okay? Make sure you post quantities of everything, and any brands, as that is very important :) I know when I first got rabbits as an adult (care has changed a lot since I had them as a kid) that I was feeding completely the wrong diet till I came on here and realised what he should have.

Okay thankyou i will. In the mornings everyday i give them tescos rabbit food which has some veg an hard uncoloured food. Then at about midday (if i'm around i give them something to chew on (a little piece of wood made eapecially for them) an in the afternoon some hay. Thankyou for the help

Hi your bunnys should have unlimited hay all day long this is really the best source of food for keeping their teeth in good shape and nice golden poos :wave:

Okay thankyou i will. In the mornings everyday i give them tescos rabbit food which has some veg an hard uncoloured food. Then at about midday (if i'm around i give them something to chew on (a little piece of wood made eapecially for them) an in the afternoon some hay. Thankyou for the help

Best thing you can do is cut down on the tesco muesli and feed more hay :) Rabbits should have hay available to munch at all times (nothing keeps rabbit teeth in good condition like hay does) and I found that when my rabbit began eating more hay his wee stopped being so white. Out of interest, could you look at their tesco food bag and tell us the calcium content?

But the thing is after they've had about half of the bowl they pour it over do all the food is on the cage floor instead of in the bowl. They also love playing with the bowl and chewing until eventually theres bite marks all over it. Especially on the cage bars. Willow loves chewing away on that. I've read the other threads and they've said about cage biting and that the rabbits are bored nd want to get out of the cage so i have tried to get them out of the cage more often. I am quite busy during the day though.

Best thing you can do is cut down on the tesco muesli and feed more hay :) Rabbits should have hay available to munch at all times (nothing keeps rabbit teeth in good condition like hay does) and I found that when my rabbit began eating more hay his wee stopped being so white. Out of interest, could you look at their tesco food bag and tell us the calcium content?

Theres 0.7mg of calcium iodate anhydrous but nothing about the usual 'calcuim'. But theres 13% protein...? And i'll definetely start giving them more hay thx

How old are ya bunnys are they babies , just make sure they have Hay all day long they love hay :wave:

Do they have an attached run they can get into to run about and play :wave:

They have a double decker cage and a playroom to run and play in, but no run, just a playroom ( i dont really know what a run is the pet shop told us nothing about a run).

But the thing is after they've had about half of the bowl they pour it over do all the food is on the cage floor instead of in the bowl. They also love playing with the bowl and chewing until eventually theres bite marks all over it. Especially on the cage bars. Willow loves chewing away on that. I've read the other threads and they've said about cage biting and that the rabbits are bored nd want to get out of the cage so i have tried to get them out of the cage more often. I am quite busy during the day though.

Ceramic bowls are best for rabbits as most rabbits can't tip them over. The muesli and pellets should only make up 5% of a rabbit's diet, the rest should be unlimited hay :) Hay isn't just food, it's also fun for rabbits, they like to dig in it, play with it. My rabbit builds dens in his hay and then eats his way out of them.

How big is their enclosure? A pair of rabbits needs permanent access to a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft hutch with an 8ft x 4ft run :)

They have a double decker cage and a playroom to run and play in, but no run, just a playroom ( i dont really know what a run is the pet shop told us nothing about a run).

Similar to this

b77c5ace.jpg

The run is attached at the right side :wave:

This is a run, although mine isnt as bare as that now, it has more things for them to do in it:

SAM_3551.jpg

You can see my hutch on top of the run, with a ramp so they can get down and exercise when they please.

Are your rabbits indoors or outdoors?

It sounds like you are feeding too much museli if they are getting a whole bowl, the exception would be if they are still very young, as they need more rabbit food then. The large amount of museli you are feeding is probably responsible for the white wee, as dried food has a lot of calcium in it. The average adult rabbit only needs a very small amount of rabbit food, an eggcup a day is a good guide, but every rabbit is different. Pellets are better than museli as they cannot pick and choose the bits they like, and so they get a more balanced diet and they are usually higher in fibre so this makes pellets a better choice than museli too. It would be good if you could change them onto a high fibre pellet, but this must be done slowly over a period of about 2 weeks so you dont upset their tummies.

Please note that when I say they dont need a lot of rabbit food, I just mean the concentrate stuff, the museli or pellets - rabbits must have 24/7 access to the food that makes up the main part of their diet: hay. It should be good quality hay that the rabbits like to eat, because if a rabbit stops eating for even several hours then it can cause their gut to stop, which is very dangerous for them.

Hope this helps :) luckily it looks like the white wee is down to their diet, and not a medical problem at this stage :)

Mine have had white wee before aswell.... caused by eating wilko dried herbs.

?My bunnies' wee is always rusty coloured..... it's ok apparently, its the curly kale they have for breakfast

Mine have had white wee before aswell.... caused by eating wilko dried herbs.

?My bunnies' wee is always rusty coloured..... it's ok apparently, its the curly kale they have for breakfast

Just a note, I think kale is high in calcium, so fine in moderation but I wouldnt feed it every single day.

Just a note, I think kale is high in calcium, so fine in moderation but I wouldnt feed it every single day.

They get a tiny amount every day, the vet said the amount we give them is ok (spring greens gives rupert gas) as its really the only thing they get - they also get a tiny bit of brocoli and a grape then they eat a huge pile (the size of both them together) of hay (ings or alfafa king timothy), and then they eat the lawn in the evening plus morreeeeeee hay, a fenugreek crunchy, a pineapple and papaya piece, 20 grams of pellets, and a handful of dried herbs.....

oh, they eat the bamboo too :lol:

the vet said altho they do have kale eveyr day.... in comparison with all the hay they eat, its a tiny amount... plus, a tia without kale is like a tia tornado :lol:

Back