• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning rabbits cages ?

Km1296

Young Bun
I hope I've posted this on the right thread, i need some advice regarding cleaning my rabbits cages.

I normally use "OUT! Super strength stain and odour remover" spray (it was for cats, which i didn't notice at first, because i originally bought it to clean pee stains on my bed from my bunny then decided to use it to clean their cages) to clean my bunnies cages which helps but i don't really notice it eradicating any stinky smells so I decided to use some zoflora odour remover and disinfectant which i initially bought to help clean my house as my new bun has been peeing around a lot and leaving her poops to kindly let me clean up.

I looked online to see if it was safe to use on my bunnies cages which it said it did so i thought nothing of it. I sprayed it directly into their cages (diluted ofcourse and once everything was taken out of it), wiped and scrubbed, and sprayed water and done the same and then wiped down with 2 different cloths (both damp). I only really done this process as my bun has worms and i wanted to cometely clean it to remove anything that could put her at risk of catching them again or passing them to my other bunny. I done this same process in the litter trays aswell.

I've had another nosey onto the interwebs (just because i TOTALLY like to riddle myself with unwanted anxiety over possibly making my pets ill, as you do) and I've now read so many horror stories and now im really worried incase I've put my bunnies into any danger regarding their health. I'm not sure what to do; if my situation is okay and I'm giving myself unwanted stress and anxiety or if I've completely flooked up and am gonna have really sick bunnos.

Sorry, I'm a severe worrier and anything that i think could be an issue sends my into insane anxiety and panic. I just need some advice to determine whether i really should be worrying and i'm a bud bunny mumma or if everything is gonna be okay and I'm overthinking.

Thanks guys !

The ordinary Zoflora is toxic to Pets, the one meant to be Pet Safe I personally would still not use. I doubt your Rabbits will come to any harm it sounds as though the cage was rinsed well after applying the disinfectant. I would not use Zoflora again though.

I use this, following the dilution and usage instructions carefully

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Anigene-HL...MI2NeX-djo7gIVgtPtCh2vjgAFEAQYAiABEgKy5fD_BwE

For removing stains White Vinegar works well

I find white vinegar works well on stains if left overnight. For everything else I just use washing-up liquid.

I use washing up liquid and bleach for routine cleaning. There are veterinary grade disinfectants if you want something for a specific reason - I use Virkon when cleaning up after eg. EC treatment.
I wouldn't use Zoflora for pets, or anywhere they may go.There are many alternatives available.

Okay guys, thanks very much for the advice. I've checked on them this morning and they're absolutely fine. I don't think I'll be using zoflora again for them !!

Back