• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have gone and broke all the rules. Yoshi & alex together

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
:shock: ok so I haven't been able to get any sort of answers on bonding my two remaining bunnies together so I asked my vet who is rabbit savvy, and she said let them get on with it. I was terrified but I have bonded before so thought what the hell. ....
When yoshi bonded with his previous mate Tiggs who we lost in April it was very straight forward when they met. Love at first sight... she accepted him as the dominant and they lived 8 happy years together with lots of bunny mounting and play. ...... not such a introduction this time. Yoshi & Alex have flirted for months and when they met she groomed him a lot , he groomed her occasionally but not much. So I was asking how long can we leave them together.... but I didn't hear anything so I decided to separate last night then put them back together today .... alex is still giving sly side nips to get yoshi to move but he isn't always doing what she wants so she gives in and grooms him instead.
Today I went one further and let them back in the garden where they both have been before and again no fighting just some grooming and lots of ignoring each other. Alex was binking right in front of yoshi at one point showing off...but still no mounting so I don't know what to think . Do I separate again or let them carry on..... I am scared but hopeful

Hi,

You've posted a lot of threads in a short space of time in this forum, and that can make it difficult to follow. I appreciate your desperation for replies, but it can make it harder if it's not all in one place.

My personal opinion is that I would only ever leave rabbits unsupervised if they had had 72 hours together without any difficulties. It concerns me that they are ignoring each other- yes, this can be a good sign, but it can also indicate that there is a problem of some sort with their interactions and when they stop ignoring each other, it's an unknown what will happen. I personally also wouldn't have allowed most rabbits out, when bonding, into such a large space, as this can increase excitement and risk of issues with each other, although I also appreciate, space is better for some bonds.

I do think it's important to realise that there is no definitive way to bond rabbits. We all have our favourite methods, and ways of working, and a lot of them make sense, but the best way to bond is to read all that information, understand the risks, understand the time frames and the whys behind everything, learn about body language and what you;re looking for, and then watch your bunnies and decide what they need because all bonds are different and all rabbits are different.

Good luck.

Good luck with the bonding, I personally don't think that separating and putting back together for short periods of time is a good idea. I've always felt that you should get everything as ready as possible and then do it, I just think sometimes it can delay a bond but that's just my opinion. It's up to you what you do next, do whatever you feel more comfortable with, but keep a close eye on them if they stay together just to be sure there's no fighting/injuries etc.

Hi,

You've posted a lot of threads in a short space of time in this forum, and that can make it difficult to follow. I appreciate your desperation for replies, but it can make it harder if it's not all in one place.

My personal opinion is that I would only ever leave rabbits unsupervised if they had had 72 hours together without any difficulties. It concerns me that they are ignoring each other- yes, this can be a good sign, but it can also indicate that there is a problem of some sort with their interactions and when they stop ignoring each other, it's an unknown what will happen. I personally also wouldn't have allowed most rabbits out, when bonding, into such a large space, as this can increase excitement and risk of issues with each other, although I also appreciate, space is better for some bonds.

I do think it's important to realise that there is no definitive way to bond rabbits. We all have our favourite methods, and ways of working, and a lot of them make sense, but the best way to bond is to read all that information, understand the risks, understand the time frames and the whys behind everything, learn about body language and what you;re looking for, and then watch your bunnies and decide what they need because all bonds are different and all rabbits are different.

Good luck.
This :)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I completely agree with Sky-o, you should not separate once they are together and monitor 24:7 for at least 3 days.
I manage a rescue so do a fair few bonds and would say the space given like the bonding method itself is dependent on each individual rabbit but I wouldn't necessarily be letting them out together in the garden at this stage.

Hi,

Good luck.

I agree.

I am not sure of your question, and I can't follow all your threads, but I will help if I can :wave:

Some useful links in case you've not seen them?

http://rabbit.org/the-most-important-word-in-bonding-is-patience/

http://rabbit.org/introducing-rabbits-in-a-group-situation/

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/ (good for pair bonding)

http://www.fatfluffs.com/info/bonding/

http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/bonding.html

Book in RWAF shop:

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/bonding-rabbits-by-fiona-campbell/

Mischief and Tinker’s Mum
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?462466-How-I-bonded-my-trios-videos!

(some contradictory advice, but that's the way of all things, isn't it!)

Back