• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HEEEEELLLLLPPP!! Was it poisonous?!

Rabbitches

Young Bun
I went out foraging, been loving it. I read various sources that say that horse chestnut leaves are safe for buns. I have just seen another page that says it is poisonous?! They only had half a small leaf each, but I am really worried now!

Thanks for the link- just reading through stuff now- I feel a bit better! I would like to be able to give them the rest over the next couple of days- do you think they are ok? I have seen loads of places saying leaves are fine, but then a couple saying not safe but don't specify which part of the plant.
I had been sticking to hawthorn and bramble as I am confident with those, and wanted to branch out!
I did get them a rose to share though- the rain helped open my flowers up!

Thanks for the link- just reading through stuff now- I feel a bit better! I would like to be able to give them the rest over the next couple of days- do you think they are ok? I have seen loads of places saying leaves are fine, but then a couple saying not safe but don't specify which part of the plant.
I had been sticking to hawthorn and bramble as I am confident with those, and wanted to branch out!
I did get them a rose to share though- the rain helped open my flowers up!

If I'm not sure about anything, even just a bit not sure, then I won't give it. There's plenty more that's known as safe - as you say, brambles and hawthorn, so I would stick to what I know.

Have you see these links?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

If I'm not sure about anything, even just a bit not sure, then I won't give it. There's plenty more that's known as safe - as you say, brambles and hawthorn, so I would stick to what I know.

Have you see these links?

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

This is my modus operandi.

I feed lots of different types of tree leaves and twigs. It's not easy to establish just what is considered safe and what isn't. But there are very many that are considered safe in all sources where you check. I have used this site before http://kanin.org/node/190

I have never fed Horse Chestnut, but that's not because I know it's unsafe. More because I do not have easy access to any and so have not bothered to check widely. If it's not considered safe everywhere you have looked, I wouldn't feed it.

If I were you, I would not worry about the small amount you have fed already. Plant toxicity for rabbits does not seem to be an exact science. I don't think I would feed the rest of what you have though.

Personally, I wouldn't worry.

My rabbits often chose to eat "toxic" plants in the garden. (They get free range). I trust they're not stupid and will avoid them at their most toxic times.

I do section off plants that have scientific proof to be poisonous though.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes, they are absolutely fine, bright as buttons! I am still hoping I can find definitive proof of the leaves to be safe- because they did love them, and there are some huge trees by us! They are on RWAF safe list, going to wait for the book though!

Yes, they are absolutely fine, bright as buttons! I am still hoping I can find definitive proof of the leaves to be safe- because they did love them, and there are some huge trees by us! They are on RWAF safe list, going to wait for the book though!

They aren't mentioned in Twigs' book.

You could send her a PM - she is parsnipbun. Hasn't been on here for a while :)

I woldn't worry about it unless they're showing signs of discomfort/problems :) Lopsy was caught eating rhubarb leaves (definitely toxic!) last week and they both certainly had a go at the rhubarb last year, to no ill effects :)

I woldn't worry about it unless they're showing signs of discomfort/problems :) Lopsy was caught eating rhubarb leaves (definitely toxic!) last week and they both certainly had a go at the rhubarb last year, to no ill effects :)

Every chicken we're ever had has always been very determined to eat Rhubarb leaves. They must be very tasty :lol: We've had to put mesh round it now as they won't respond to shooing away.

Every chicken we're ever had has always been very determined to eat Rhubarb leaves. They must be very tasty :lol: We've had to put mesh round it now as they won't respond to shooing away.
As someone who used to use rhubarb leaves as 'flesh' when playing with her toy dinosaurs, then licked her fingers (I was probably biting my nails!), I would say they taste incredibly bitter, with a definite sharp tang! :mrgreen: Maybe they like it?!

Oooh death wish chickens? :shock:

Back