• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Both buns have issues. Trying to work out a diet for them

Shayne_

Warren Scout
I need to come up with a plan for Crash Bunny and Queen Bea....

Had a scare today as I came down to see Bea had diarrhea, shes seen a vet and is eating hay and acting ok now, seem an ok dropping.... Yesterday she had a tiny bit of banana with her panacur.. so we think it was that

Weve had her 11 days and bonding has gone well

Before being at the RSPCA she was fed a very bad diet and went to them very messy with diarhea and so on.. she has been on a hay only diet (other than the odd SS pellet) since then and while with us. I think its safe to say shes not a veg or fruit compatible bunny....

Crash Bunny has bad teeth, hes a year old, had a dental already and the vet is keeping an eye on a small issue, she could see where the issue was last time. Hes needing a mostly hay only diet to help with his teeth

Both great hay eaters

I think its best for them to go hay + the odd pellet only but I want to check in on thoughts and experiences of doing that.

Anyone else have buns on limited diets?

How do you manage?

Do you give anything extra for those with sensitive stomachs?

Thank you

In my view it will do neither of them any harm to be on a mostly hay with an occasional pellet diet. It will be beneficial for dental issues and also for sensitive digestive systems. It's wonderful that they will eat lots of hay :)

If you wanted to give them more variety, I would try any rabbit-safe tree sticks and/or leaves (such as Willow, Apple or Hawthorn) or maybe something like Bramble leaves or Plantain. Maybe also try them on a handful of freshly cut grass.

I don't think it's necessary to include any of the above, but these things are possibly things to try. I would also only try one new thing at a time and monitor carefully for any reaction.

Whatever you decide to do, I would let Queen Bea settle in fully before you try anything different with her diet. Also making sure obviously that she is over her current diarrhoea episode.

Last edited:
Mine are now on a pellet free diets.
So they get lots of different hay types (each has has a different nutritional value) and they get a variety of fresh forage (limited) to help control Phoebe's dental issues.

Personally, I think if you provide lots of different hays & some pellets every now and then they'll be perfectly fine. As Omi has suggested, she may do well with a little fresh forage just to add variety but just a little of one at each time and monitor her reaction.

Keep an eye on her weight, but she should be perfectly fine :) x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I need to come up with a plan for Crash Bunny and Queen Bea....

Had a scare today as I came down to see Bea had diarrhea, shes seen a vet and is eating hay and acting ok now, seem an ok dropping.... Yesterday she had a tiny bit of banana with her panacur.. so we think it was that

Weve had her 11 days and bonding has gone well

Before being at the RSPCA she was fed a very bad diet and went to them very messy with diarhea and so on.. she has been on a hay only diet (other than the odd SS pellet) since then and while with us. I think its safe to say shes not a veg or fruit compatible bunny....

Crash Bunny has bad teeth, hes a year old, had a dental already and the vet is keeping an eye on a small issue, she could see where the issue was last time. Hes needing a mostly hay only diet to help with his teeth

Both great hay eaters

I think its best for them to go hay + the odd pellet only but I want to check in on thoughts and experiences of doing that.

Anyone else have buns on limited diets?

How do you manage?

Do you give anything extra for those with sensitive stomachs?

Thank you

True diarrhoea is unusual in adult rabbits, and a very serious condition

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Soft poop may indeed be caused by banana, and is usually temporary :)

Stress can also use a change in rabbit poops.

A hay and limited pellet diet is good for rabbits, but pretty boring! If your rabbits have access to 24/7 freedom, they will have lots to occupy themselves. Otherwise food can be used as a boredom buster.

You could perhaps try bramble leaves and forage?

Brambles, dandelions, nettles and other forage/free food is very easy for rabbits to eat and digest, and contains lots of fibre to keep the gut moving and the teeth well worn down. Some ideas here .....

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits/foraging

And a very good book written by Twigs Way called 'Foraging for Rabbits' which can be purchased from the RWAF bookshop

There's a good diet recommendation here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

I have a LOAD of dried forage in the bunny cubby, enough for at least 6 months so I can suppliment with that aswell as fresh, I know Crash is fine with it all I just would need to limit and be very careful with Queen Bea. At the moment Ive been giving them mostly 1 type, which is farm hay, but they also have 3 other types of hay. The pellets are SS

They will eventually be allowed in the garden.. At least I always had Crash out there, Talulah loved it too.. But unsure at this point whether that Bea will handle it.. I suppose I will have to introduce fresh grass slowly and see how she reacts

The diarhea was literally watery muck, it was everywhere and I had to clean her up as it was down her leg and on her tail. Not like sludgy poo.. proper foul watery stuff, so I freaked out at that!

I have the book by Twigs so I can double check on that but I am ok with that I think

I have a LOAD of dried forage in the bunny cubby, enough for at least 6 months so I can suppliment with that aswell as fresh, I know Crash is fine with it all I just would need to limit and be very careful with Queen Bea. At the moment Ive been giving them mostly 1 type, which is farm hay, but they also have 3 other types of hay. The pellets are SS

They will eventually be allowed in the garden.. At least I always had Crash out there, Talulah loved it too.. But unsure at this point whether that Bea will handle it.. I suppose I will have to introduce fresh grass slowly and see how she reacts

The diarhea was literally watery muck, it was everywhere and I had to clean her up as it was down her leg and on her tail. Not like sludgy poo.. proper foul watery stuff, so I freaked out at that!

I have the book by Twigs so I can double check on that but I am ok with that I think

Yes, good idea :thumb:

Back