• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would YOU vaccinate???

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Ive asked my new smashing vet but as yet he has to get back to me.
Chronic snuffles,amongst other problems.Lily Shane hasnt had her vaccs for Myxi or VHD.She lives indoors.(The other 2 buns have been vacced).
Would you do it???

Erm...I'm not sure. With the snuffles it seems to me that, if she got myxi (heaven forbid) she wouldn't be able to fight it off....she just isn't strong enough.

In this situation I think I'd say no...the jab itself could cause harm. However...could it be bad for BeeBee and Mrs Bun if she did get it, whilst not being vaccinated?

Mrs B and Beebee are vacced...but I dont fancy them getting even the slightest touch of myxi.
I agree Lily would not be strong enough if she got ANY form of myxi,vacced or not,it would kill her.I reckon thats what Ian is gonna say too.
Just thought about it.

i would with the mxyi but not the VHD.. when pearl was poorly the vet said to delay the vhd was ok but mxyi is more risky not to do

Santa has chronic snuffles and she has her myxo vaccine every 6 months bang on - we don't dare go over on it as she wouldn't stand a chance. Funnily enough I don't find it gives her any further problems, if anything she gets a bit better after her vacc - maybe it gives her immune system a bit of a general 'kick start'. When her vacc are due we start giving her a course of antibiotics if she isn't already on them, so that she is in best possible health when she has her vacc.

I do think it's largely each case on its own merits though depending on the individual bun's health and coping mechanisms - for instance a compromise might be to do one myxo jab each year to cover the peak season - I'm sure your vet will give it all good consideration and you can have a chat about what you think is best :)

i would with the mxyi but not the VHD.. when pearl was poorly the vet said to delay the vhd was ok but mxyi is more risky not to do

Would you if you knew she could never pull through, and would have to be pts if she ever got it:(:(? Could the myxi jab make her ill (like the vhd can?)

It's a toughie really!!:(

NO.Blue developed chronic snuffles due to the myxi jab and an already compromised immune system.My two are having no more vaccines.

Merlin has snuffles and my vet has said he will only have his myxi when he is better. Hopefully should get it done in a couple of weeks fingers crossed.

Would you if you knew she could never pull through, and would have to be pts if she ever got it:(:(? Could the myxi jab make her ill (like the vhd can?)

It's a toughie really!!:(

i would want to give her every chance possible, but i guess if my vet advised against it then i would go with her gut... neither of these two have reacted badly in anyway to the mxyi jab but they dont have snuffles either :?

its an awful descision, i think i would go with the vets advice rather than my own gut... im not as scared of VHD as i am of myxi tho :oops:

Personally I wouldn't vaccinate for vhd if the symptoms of her snuffles were chronic, as a few of my rabbits have shown reactions to vhd post-vac when they were previously fine.

I'd also probably not give her myxi either because if her immune system is generally low anyway, even if she was vacc'd against myxi what would the likelihood of her fighting the infection be if she caught it?

Would the VHD jab harm Lily too?? Are the VHD and the myxi live vaccs??
I wouldnt want Lily to be harmed in any way...I wonder what my vet will say??

Personally I wouldn't vaccinate for vhd if the symptoms of her snuffles were chronic, as a few of my rabbits have shown reactions to vhd post-vac when they were previously fine.

I'd also probably not give her myxi either because if her immune system is generally low anyway, even if she was vacc'd against myxi what would the likelihood of her fighting the infection be if she caught it?

:shock::shock::shock:
Rock and a hard place comes to mind.

Would the VHD jab harm Lily too?? Are the VHD and the myxi live vaccs??
I wouldnt want Lily to be harmed in any way...I wonder what my vet will say??

its like when we get the flu jab, we get slight colds because they are injecting a virus into the body.. my pair have both had slight reactions to the vhd, pearl got scabs :cry: and alvin got the limp and a tiny scab one time

its like when we get the flu jab, we get slight colds because they are injecting a virus into the body.. my pair have both had slight reactions to the vhd, pearl got scabs :cry: and alvin got the limp and a tiny scab one time

Beebee reacted to VHD...a scab.Mrs B reacted just by being very quiet and not doing much atall.She ate,but didnt tuck in like normal.I didnt panic....but if it had gone on to the next day,I wouldve said/done something.

bisc and matt both had the myxi and vhd last march... when they both had an uri.... didn't make any difference to them... matt is obv still being treated for it and had his myxi in october and again... no difference...

i guess all vets do things differently but mine didn't seem to think vaccinating was a concern... but both were stable at the time....

Back