• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess Country/Mountain herbs - safe for bunnies? Seeds?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Hey everyone,
I just bought a load of different herbs from VetUK. Amongst them I bought 5 packs of Burgess Excel Country Garden Herbs and 5 packs of Bugess Excel Meadow Mountain Herbs. They looked like just herbs and I didn't see anything in the ingredients to suggest anything unsuitable (though I've just noticed the Meadow Mountain mention fennel seeds, which I missed before) but having now received them you can see seeds in both packs that have sunk to the bottom.
Are they safe for rabbits? I was of the understanding that seeds of any kind were bad for them. I'm really annoyed, I would never have bought anything with seeds and the picture made it look like they were just dried herbs and flowers :?

Imgredients list on Meadow Mountain:
Dandelion - Chamomile - Coltsfoot Leaf - Milk Thistle - Parsley - Sage - Hibiscus - Fennel Seeds (missed this when ordering :() - Rose Petals - Sunflower Petals

Ingredients on Country Garden:
Dandelion - Mint - Chicory - Plantain - Milk Thistle - Marigold - Cornflower - Jerusalem Artichoke
No mention of seeds in this one but there are just as many in here as in the Meadow Mountain

Is it safe to feed them? I wish I'd just bought one bag of each now :?

Hi, I've also bought these for my rabbits (they are marketed by Burgess as being suitable for rabbits).
They've been eating them for the past 6-8 months with no ill effects and particularly love the chicory. They love them and I usually buy half a dozen packs of each at a time.

Here's the link to the Burgess page. I think they're safe for rabbits, but you may want to contact Burgess direct if you still have concerns.

http://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabbit/litter-feeding-hay-treats/Excel-Snacks-Country-Garden-Herbs/27

Hi, I've also bought these for my rabbits (they are marketed by Burgess as being suitable for rabbits).
They've been eating them for the past 6-8 months with no ill effects and particularly love the chicory. They love them and I usually buy half a dozen packs of each at a time.

Here's the link to the Burgess page. I think they're safe for rabbits, but you may want to contact Burgess direct if you still have concerns.

http://shop.burgesspetcare.com/rabbit/litter-feeding-hay-treats/Excel-Snacks-Country-Garden-Herbs/27

Thank you so much, Sarahbun. I know many years back I fed something similar (can't remember what brand now) that had the same seeds in with no problems but I'm still not sure about seeds, as I understood it they're not suitable for rabbits at all? Unfortunately I learnt long ago that being marked as suitable for rabbits means nothing in the pet food world :(
Everything else in there looks okay as far as I'm aware? It's just the seeds I'm worried about. Although that said I just looked up Jerusalem Artichoke and there are some mentions of it possibly causing gas?

Edit:
Not related to the above but just wondering if Strawflower is safe for bunnies? I just found this on Zooplus: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/snacks_supplements/natural_plant_snacks/herbs/465819 but I've never heard of Strawflower? I can't find it on any lists

Last edited:
Back