• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming

wench

Young Bun
Hello, does anyone have any recommendations for grooming an Angora? Is there anyone I can take Harley to as I don't mind paying? I have some clippers etc but I'm just concious Im not qualified. She is such a Tom boy, loves digging, loves puddles but isn't so keen on grooming herself. I am in Nottinghamshire

Hi, sorry I've no experience of Angoras at all, I'm sure others on here will, or will know of someone that can help. Harley sounds a real character :D

Hello, nice to hear from you again :) Your Vet may be able to clip Harley. Sometimes it is necessary for Bunny to have mild sedation in order to do the job. Rabbit skin is extremely fragile and one false move could result in a nasty cut. If there are felts of fur these will need to be cut out using scissors. A very tricky thing to do as felts are often found in hard to access places.

Thanks, I have booked Harley in for a consultation on Tuesday morning at the vets. They have said after that they would keep her in and groom/clip her in the afternoon and I can then collect her after work. I'm really nervous for her as it's first time at the vets since I adopted her.....but if it makes her more comfortable I'm sure it will be worth it

If I was closer, I would offer to help with the grooming.
Getting her clipped this time will give you the chance to get her used to being groomed, and enable you to keep on top of it as you get the hang of it.
I use a double sided metal dog comb for all my furries. For the longest / thickest fur, sometimes it is easier to use a medium gap metal comb (preferably with slightly longer teeth) rather than a double sided one, as you can end up very tangled. A seam unpicker is also useful for helping to break up mats - you can slide it in near the skin and cut away from the skin - but you still need to be careful as they have a very sharp point. I find it easier than scissors on properly matted fur as you can cut away round the edges more easily, a little bit at a time. Loose matted bits can then be cut off with scissors as you go along. You don't need to do a whole mat in one go - just whatever you and bunny are comfortable with at the time.

Examples:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NANAD-Prof...&sprefix=dog+comb+double,aps,175&sr=8-54&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripper-Rip...82753729&sprefix=seam+unpicker,aps,414&sr=8-7

Back