• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bea & Henry - A happy ending :)

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Are having issues :(
I'm so upset and I don't know why we always have so many issues with bonding.
They were at the rescue for 6 days together with no issues. They came home and we started in a small pen around 2ft x 6ft which we have gradually increased over the week. I left them on their own for the first time on Friday night when I went to work for around 5 hours with no issues whatsoever and I spent all day with them on Saturday and they were absolutely adorable together, lots of cuddling, lots of grooming, no chasing, no aggression or any odd behaviour which would explain what we woke up to on Sunday morning. FUR EVERYWHERE and a tiny cut above Bea's eye. So I made them up a new pen and reduced their space back down because I had to go to work and when I got home at 11pm last night they were fine, I opened up the pen and kept a close eye on them but they mostly decided to stay in it. I lay on the sofa with them and fell asleep. I've just been woke up to them chasing, pulling fur etc inside the pen. I don't really know where to go from here. Honestly, i'm fed up of bonding because it NEVER works for me. And i'm so tired :(

Last edited:
Are having issues :(
I'm so upset and I don't know why we always have so many issues with bonding.
They were at the rescue for 6 days together with no issues. They came home and we started in a small pen around 2ft x 6ft which we have gradually increased over the week. I left them on their own for the first time on Friday night when I went to work for around 5 hours with no issues whatsoever I spent all day with them on Saturday and they were absolutely adorable together, lots of cuddling, lots of grooming, no chashing, no aggression or any odd behaviour which would explain what we woke up to on Sunday morning. FUR EVERYWHERE and a tiny cut above Bea's eye. So I made them up a new pen and reduced their space back down because I had to go to work and when I got home at 11pm last night they were fine, I opened up the pen and kept a close eye on them but they mostly decided to stay in it. I lay on the sofa with them and fell asleep. I've just been woke up to them chasing, pulling fur etc inside the pen. I don't really know where to go from here. Honestly, i'm fed up of bonding because it NEVER works for me. And i'm so tired :(

Personally I'd leave them in the smaller pen for at least 2 weeks. This time of year is always the most tricky for bonding, even if both Rabbits are neutered 'Spring Fever' will still have some impact. How long ago was Henry deplummed ? If it was only a few weeks ago then he will still be quite hormonal.

Bonding is stressful for all concerned and trying to do it whilst having to continue with day to day life (work!!) can be a real challenge. Try the small space again and for much longer. Also, make sure they never get a wiff of your other Bunnies as that can set off referred aggression.

Good luck, keep calm and have lots of tea and cake on standby !!

Personally I'd leave them in the smaller pen for at least 2 weeks. This time of year is always the most tricky for bonding, even if both Rabbits are neutered 'Spring Fever' will still have some impact. How long ago was Henry deplummed ? If it was only a few weeks ago then he will still be quite hormonal.

Bonding is stressful for all concerned and trying to do it whilst having to continue with day to day life (work!!) can be a real challenge. Try the small space again and for much longer. Also, make sure they never get a wiff of your other Bunnies as that can set off referred aggression.

Couldn't agree more :thumb: although my preferred bonding drink is wine:lol: (only in the evenings ;))

Henry was neutered when he arrived at the rescue so definitely before November. I've got a rabbit cage that I no longer use in the attic and I'm considering putting them in that for the day to start the ball rolling and then making up a smaller pen for tomorrow. What do you think?
It's so hard to stay calm because we haven't had a successful bond yet and I've fallen in love with Henry :(

Very good advice!
I think nice and slowly is the key.

I don't know if I've done the right thing here but I've left Henry in the pen and Bea is outside of it. I'm going to start from scratch in a few hours but I really need to sleep :'( They can see each other and talk through the pen but I can't trust them alone at the moment. Do you think it will cause more damage?

I don't know if I've done the right thing here but I've left Henry in the pen and Bea is outside of it. I'm going to start from scratch in a few hours but I really need to sleep :'( They can see each other and talk through the pen but I can't trust them alone at the moment. Do you think it will cause more damage?

Personally I'd only do that as a last resort.Separation can sometimes exacerbate any bonding problems. Can you make the pen smaller and also cover it all over so light is limited ? Sunshine can add to 'Spring Fever' stimulation.

Ok so I napped for 2 hours. Bea spent most of that time trying to get back into the pen with Henry and Henry spent the time cowering in the corner because he didn't have Bea to protect him.
I've set up the pen, popped them in and 2 minutes later they were doing this...
2i10048.jpg

Mutual grooming sess. Bunnies are weird :censored:

I was so tired and at my wits end earlier that I forgot to thank you for your reply. So thank you!
I'm off work today and I'm already wondering if it's too early to open the Gin bottle. I guess a jug of coffee will have to do!

Ok so I napped for 2 hours. Bea spent most of that time trying to get back into the pen with Henry and Henry spent the time cowering in the corner because he didn't have Bea to protect him.
I've set up the pen, popped them in and 2 minutes later they were doing this...
2i10048.jpg

Mutual grooming sess. Bunnies are weird :censored:

And some !! :lol:

I think a small space for a longer time is the way forward. Sending lots of calming vibes.................and an IV Gin drip :D

Thanks for you PM ........ Will get back to you asap.

In the meantime I shall be doing my 'OM's and sending extreme peace to your household :D

I'm sure the rescue will offer you advice but in my limited experience I'd say keep the space smaller for longer and then very gradually increase but I'm talking weeks rather than days. So if they are ok in a smaller space for 2 weeks increase a bit and then leave for for another couple of weeks and so on. Hang in there!

Back