• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can you add oral Baytril to a treat/nuggets and let the rabbit take it that way?

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
Hi, Hazel has been sneezing, had yellow nasal discharge etc. The vet gave her Baytril for 1 week. I also asked for a test for Pasteurella, our vets lab doesn't do it but she found one that does and we're just waiting for results. The reason I wanted to test for it was because my old bunny, Gingerbread, had similar symptoms a couple of years back before he died. I don't think that was the reason as he was about 8 years old and had other issues but it made me think I want to test for it as my current bunnies are in the same environment, part free roaming in the house.

Hazel gets upset easily and when I gave her the first dose of Baytril she was bucking her head and was very distressed. I decided doing this to her twice a day for a week was going to be very stressful for her. She's had a few episodes of not eating in the past due to stress so best avoided if possible. I asked the receptionist if it's ok to give it in with treats or nuggets, she went to ask someone and said they thought it should be ok as long as she's getting it all, which she is. It's a nice easy way of giving it to her that doesn't stress her so is ideal.

After one week I hadn't noticed yellow discharge, just still wet a small amount of wet fur under the nose. I phoned the vet and she said to do another week of Baytril and gave me some more. I didn't think to check with her about giving the Baytril the way I am. Today Hazel has been sneezing again and had some more yellow discharge. She may have already been having some I just hadn't seen it as she wipes it away quick.

So now I am wondering if it's not as effective doing it the way I am. She is definitley consuming the full dose as I have a little dish I put it on the treat and wipe any extra up with a bit of kale and she eats that too. Any advise is appreciated, thankyou :)

As long as she is really ingesting the full dose then giving it on food is fine. Most Rabbits won’t eat food with Baytril on though as Baytril tastes and smells awful.

Nasal swabs taken from a conscious Rabbit might not give a true result as the core of infection is usually very deep within the nasal passages. Just taking a superficial swab might give a false ‘ no bacterial growth’ result.

IME Co-Trimoxazole is more effective than Baytril for treating RTIs

As long as she is really ingesting the full dose then giving it on food is fine. Most Rabbits won’t eat food with Baytril on though as Baytril tastes and smells awful.

Nasal swabs taken from a conscious Rabbit might not give a true result as the core of infection is usually very deep within the nasal passages. Just taking a superficial swab might give a false ‘ no bacterial growth’ result.

IME Co-Trimoxazole is more effective than Baytril for treating RTIs

Thanks, she got put off when I tried on her nuggets and I really had to encourage her but I'm now doing it on a 'pocket' treat that she absolutley loves and she is eating it no problem. I don't give them many nuggets / treats normally so that might be why she is happy to eat it. The vet did 2 nasal swabs but the lab she got in touch with said it needed to be a different swab but that they could do it from the bunnies faeces so I had to give a poo sample to my vet and that's what they are testing. I don't know if that will give a better result or not.

Back