• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Incessant humping after successful bond

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
So I am in the process of my sixth bond in 11years of keeping rabbits and there is always something different with every bond!

Buddy - my boy - lost his wife bun 2 weeks ago after a subacute development of pasturella (post mortem and tissue samples confirmed). I adopted Jessica on Friday - she's a slightly larger pure white lop with blue eyes. She's very sweet but does go into a trance like state every so often and 'scans' by moving he head side to side. My vet thinks this is a behaviourioural coping mechanism from a previous not very nice experience I.e. being kept in a small hutch. The rescue say she was found as a stray.

Anyway I put them in a separated run in the kitchen on friday and buddy was very interested in her - lots of thumping. Saturday they went to the vet in separate carriers (Buddy vaccination booster) and then I put them together when I got home.

It's all gone rather well though the attention is 90% from buddy to Jessica. He is humping her incessantly. Sometimes she gives in sometimes she runs away. Buddy has also groomed her but mainly due to banana on her head. She has not humped or groomed him once. She just doesn't seem that fussed about him.

When I pick Buddy up his man bits are out (he's neutered) and he just won't leave her be. I feel sorry for her. There's no aggression whatsoever but should I separate them to give her a break? Hes gonna get over this right? Thanks

If they are both coping, I would leave them to get on with just being together. As long as there is no real fighting (ie skin damage, blood drawn), it is normal behaviour, especially in the early days. Separating them and then putting them together again may not help as they still have to sort this out. Sounds as though the bonding is going OK.

Blue or pink eyed white animals often exhibit the scanning behaviour you describe. Again, it's 'normal' for them and nothing you can do about it. I have seen it in white chipmunks as well.

Are you giving them lots of hay and bits to distract him? It usually helps as next thing they like other than what he is trying to do is eat :D Hope they both settle down with one another, and sorry to hear you lost a bunny :cry:

The k you very much for.your replies and reassurance. They've been kept together and doing very well. Have been able to move into their kennel together and all seems well. Buddy still humping quite a bit but she copes fine now she has more space to get away.

Thanks for reassurance 're the scanning. I thought I'd read something about it on the forum many moons ago but wasn't sure.

Fingers crossed it all stays happy and I've managed to rehome another special bunny in need :)

Back