• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just found my dear rabbit Peter dead why did he die so suddenly

I wonder if any one can give me some advice. I had 4 rabbits all rescues, Finn was a dwarf lop-eared rabbit. He was in a awful condition when we got him, we nursed him back to health, he did have a long term problem with his eye (discharge and fur falling out under eye) vets could not find out the cause. He was other wise heathy. He was a lovely gentle rabbit, a real softy.

He was 4 years old when he suddenly died 1month ago, he was fine running around eating and drinking, one hour later he is was lying dead by at bottom of Cage.

Strange thing is he was limp and floppy riggamortous never set in.

We spoke to vets they didn't recommend doing a autopsy, they said it would be very expensive and unlikely to find out the cause of death.

So we didn't get a autopsy done.

Today another of my rabbits Peter a lion head rabbit has died. He was fine a few hours ago running around eating and drinking fine. And now I've just found him lying dead on bottom of Cage ridged.
He was only 2 1/2. I don't understand it.

I'm devistated, he was such a lovely cheeky bunny, he loved to explore.

Why do my rabbits keep dying. I'm afraid my other 2 rabbits are going to die. I look after them well, clean them out twice a day, feed them mainly hay and some pellets, fresh veg.

All my rabbits are indoor rabbits incase this helps.

Any one got any ideas as to why my rabbits died. Should I get a autopsy done this time, does any one know how much a autopsy costs.

Any advice much appreciated,

How heart breaking to lose 2 bunnies - I'm so sorry

They certainly sound well looked after. You don't mention if they were vaccinated. Sudden death often occurs with RHVD2, often with no noticeable symptoms & so it the thing that springs first to mind

Oh I'm so sorry :( Are they all fully vaccinated (myxo, RHD1 and RHD2)? RHD causes sudden death so that would be a suspicion. Autopsy would depend on your vets, I had one done at £40 without sending any samples away but this was a 4 week old rabbit so very small.

Thank you for your replies. They were fully vaccinated, they have been vaccinated every year they are due to be vaccinated again. Had a appointment for Friday to get them vaccinated again. Could it still be RHD1 or RHD 2.

Going to still take my other 2 rabbits on Friday to be vaccinated and to get vet to check them just to be safe.

So sorry to hear that you have lost two of your beloved bunnies so close together. I hope your other bunnies stay well, and get on ok when they are vaccinated. Really sorry for your losses :(

So sorry for your losses

Sadly, yes, it could still be RHD as the vaccine is only confirmed as 90% effective (higher in reality but that seems to be a minimum they aim for.

I lost two rabbits 10 weeks apart and both were confirmed to have died of RHD2. My vet does postmortems for free for sudden deaths but did recently charge £48 for a PM. I think it would cost about £50 for a lab to test for RHD.

If it is RHD then you have been extremely unlucky to lose two. (I had 20 rabbits at the time I lost 2 so the vaccine might be considered to have saved 90% of my rabbits).

i have no insight as to the cause of the deaths but am so sorry for your losses. as you say, it is devastating xxx

I am sorry for your loss. Years ago I lost multiple bunnies while other bunnies survived. You seem to be giving them great care, and asking your vet is a good option.. Has anything changed? Sending positive vibes that your remaining bunnies will remain healthy.

Back