• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help with ingredients please...

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello,

My little Pepper has had a lot of issues with leaking and she had a bladder flush just before Christmas as I saw sludge. She seems uncomfortable again today, and I have booked a Vet appointment for Monday.

In the meantime, I’m looking into calcium-content of what she’s eating. She loves the Nature’s Touch stuff, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it all means...

Is this good or bad?

composition and Nutrition^Ingredient(s):

Bran, hay, integral sunflower, dehydrated alfalfa, straw, dehydrated carrot (Daucus carota), wheat, beetroot pulp, olive leaf, nettle (Urtica dioica L.), birch (Betula L.), cane molasses, barley , helianthus (Helianthus L.) and soya oil.

Additives:

ADDITIVES: Vitamin A 13.400 UI/Kg.Vitamin D3 1.206 UI/Kg Vitamina E (alfa tocoferol) 33,50 ppm Lys (lisina) 0,47% O L I G O E L E M E N T S Iron, Fe (ferrous carbonate)104,50 ppm Iodine, I (potassium iodide) 1,40 ppm Cobalt, Co (cobaltous basic carbonate) 0,40 ppm Copper, Cu (copper sulfate pentahydrate) 10,70 ppm Manganese, Mn (manganouse oxide) 27,50 ppm Zinc, Zn (zinc oxide) 68,35 ppm Selenium, Se (sodium selenite) 0,06 ppm.

*I usually pick out the dried carrot bits as I don’t want the buns to have them,
—-
She has Volvic bottled water in a bowl and in a drinking fountain, she has unlimited hay (all sorts of variety except alfalfa, she has low-calcium fresh herbs and done veg, SS pellets, not really any fresh fruit as she’s not keen (very occasionally a bit of apple or pear).

She used to have spinach, watercress and kale, until Vet said to give her low-calcium options.

She likes dried cranberries and dried herbs/treats.

I went foraging today and got bramble leaves and fresh grass (she’s ignored both).

This is maybe a stupid question: is there different calcium content in hay? I tend to offer a variety to ensure they keep eating, but should I be more particular about types of hay?

Bertie eats and drinks exactly the same as Pepper but (touch wood) has had no urinary tract/sludge issues...

If I recall correctly calcium content varies a little between hays & depending when its cut too. Not hugely though (except for alfalfa). I've studied so many pellet & recovery ingredients & ended up a lot more confused. Pepper will still need some calcium in her diet for healthy tushpegs so I (personally) wouldn't try too hard to remove all sources. Good luck for Monday

Hello,

My little Pepper has had a lot of issues with leaking and she had a bladder flush just before Christmas as I saw sludge. She seems uncomfortable again today, and I have booked a Vet appointment for Monday.

In the meantime, I’m looking into calcium-content of what she’s eating. She loves the Nature’s Touch stuff, but I can’t for the life of me figure out what it all means...

Is this good or bad?

Bran, hay, integral sunflower, dehydrated alfalfa, straw, dehydrated carrot (Daucus carota), wheat, beetroot pulp, olive leaf, nettle (Urtica dioica L.), birch (Betula L.), cane molasses, barley , helianthus (Helianthus L.) and soya oil.

Additives:

ADDITIVES: Vitamin A 13.400 UI/Kg.Vitamin D3 1.206 UI/Kg Vitamina E (alfa tocoferol) 33,50 ppm Lys (lisina) 0,47% O L I G O E L E M E N T S Iron, Fe (ferrous carbonate)104,50 ppm Iodine, I (potassium iodide) 1,40 ppm Cobalt, Co (cobaltous basic carbonate) 0,40 ppm Copper, Cu (copper sulfate pentahydrate) 10,70 ppm Manganese, Mn (manganouse oxide) 27,50 ppm Zinc, Zn (zinc oxide) 68,35 ppm Selenium, Se (sodium selenite) 0,06 ppm.

*I usually pick out the dried carrot bits as I don’t want the buns to have them,
—-
She has Volvic bottled water in a bowl and in a drinking fountain, she has unlimited hay (all sorts of variety except alfalfa, she has low-calcium fresh herbs and done veg, SS pellets, not really any fresh fruit as she’s not keen (very occasionally a bit of apple or pear).

She used to have spinach, watercress and kale, until Vet said to give her low-calcium options.

I went foraging today and got bramble leaves and fresh grass (she’s ignored both).

This is maybe a stupid question: is there different calcium content in hay? I tend to offer a variety to ensure they keep eating, but should I be more particular about types of hay?

Bertie eats and drinks exactly the same as Pepper but (touch wood) has had no urinary tract/sludge issues...
dear beau belle,--please review this link http://www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa stay healthy

Hello,

Is this good or bad?

Additives:

—-

I can't find this on line? Are they pellets? Tesco's do a low calcium water.

I can't help with the pellets, I have a sludge bun and she doesn't have any pellets, she has lots of veg normally, the water content seems to negate the calcium content apparently, so I don't worry too much about it.

I think volvic water is low calcium the other option is tesco ashbeck :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hmm, it doesn’t mention calcium on the ingredients or nutritional info. I’ve looked on their website http://natures-touch.org/natures-touch-adult-rabbit.html and it says ,’We have also added a balanced quantity of calcium and phosphorus tothis diet to help prevent kidney problems which rabbits are known to suffer with when fed on certain diets‘
But it doesn’t really give any facts. I would contact them to ask if I were you.

I wonder why they add calcium and potassium, they must feel there isn't enough already. They are a young company so maybe they haven't got everything correct. This is just my opinion of course.

Additives:

*I usually pick out the dried carrot bits as I don’t want the buns to have them
If you're picking out the carrot, then you might want to consider getting something different or not bothering: molasses and beetroot are also basically sugar. 'Hay', 'bran' and 'straw' are nebulous. There's two types of sunflower listed which is weird. There's a lot of oils in it: olive leaves are oily IIRC, sunflower obviously depending n what bots are used, seeds (wheat and barley) contain oils, and then there's soya oil. I don't see anything particularly worrying in the elemental additives but I don't really know much about that bit. You could always try the dried herbs in place of this?

Thank you all x

I’m going to email them to ask - I’ve been on their website too but can’t really find anything that explains what it all means x

Volvic is low in calcium, so there's nothing more you can do on the water you give.

I'm suspicious that there is no calcium analysis on the website. Is there anything on the bag? There is normally a percentage given. Dry forage is usually pretty high in calcium.

Back