• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Think my RU Account May Have Been Hacked ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
This morning I found that I had been Logged Out of RU. That is odd in itself as I never bother to Log Out. When I logged in all my settings had been changed :?

I am just about to change my Password but is there any way of finding out what has been going on please ?

This morning I found that I had been Logged Out of RU. That is odd in itself as I never bother to Log Out. When I logged in all my settings had been changed :?

I am just about to change my Password but is there any way of finding out what has been going on please ?
Er owner should have logs, and ip addresses to give rough location and see what systems been active on the account and when..

Being logged out, when it normally 'remembers' you and logs you in - do you have any antivirus? Or something that deletes cookies etc? If it did a clean or something it could've logged you out of sites you were auto signed into. Difficult to say without knowing what you use etc.

Your best bet is to contact a mod or owner (whoever has log access) and see if they can make sense of your account activity. (which you're doing here just thought I'd post :D)

Could be harmless though and your browser lost the cookies holding onto your sign in info :) or depending on your browser and the website it may not store passwords in cookies, which is safer of course as its not stored as pain text. I'm rambling - I wouldn't panic - but try see if someone can get to the bottom of it :)

Hope you get it sorted :) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Er owner should have logs, and ip addresses to give rough location and see what systems been active on the account and when..

Being logged out, when it normally 'remembers' you and logs you in - do you have any antivirus? Or something that deletes cookies etc? If it did a clean or something it could've logged you out of sites you were auto signed into. Difficult to say without knowing what you use etc.

Your best bet is to contact a mod or owner (whoever has log access) and see if they can make sense of your account activity. (which you're doing here just thought I'd post :D)

Could be harmless though and your browser lost the cookies holding onto your sign in info :) or depending on your browser and the website it may not store passwords in cookies, which is safer of course as its not stored as pain text. I'm rambling - I wouldn't panic - but try see if someone can get to the bottom of it :)

Hope you get it sorted :) x

You techies speak a foreign language !! I do have antivirus, doesn't stop me getting hay fever though ;) :lol:

I have now found out that there are 'issues' on other websites I subscribe to, so I think whatever the problem is it must be related to my PC rather than the website.

Honestly, ever since I had an enforced 'upgrade' to Windows 10 I have had so many computer problems. None of which I have a hope in hell of understanding.

Better go and check my online Banking now..................... :shock:

You techies speak a foreign language !! I do have antivirus, doesn't stop me getting hay fever though ;) [emoji38]

I have now found out that there are 'issues' on other websites I subscribe to, so I think whatever the problem is it must be related to my PC rather than the website.

Honestly, ever since I had an enforced 'upgrade' to Windows 10 I have had so many computer problems. None of which I have a hope in hell of understanding.

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Sorry about that haha

Does your antivirus have a scheduled scan? Could've done this in the background and cleared some stuff up whilst doing it (lots do this now aswell as look for threats, as clearing cached stuff improves speed on your machine)

I wouldn't worry about Internet banking - although If It remembers your customer number or user name that may be forgotten now too. Altho banks shouldn't really be saving this in the same place as your average website.. For security reasons... Or they do and it'll be there but in a jumbled mess only your pc understands :)

Where you on 7 or 8 before?

I really like 10 because it's very similar to 7 - windows doesn't always make things easy for the user though, will admit that [emoji38][emoji38] x

Last edited:
Mine sometimes logs me out of forums overnight. No idea why. One of life's little mysteries. It's a pain trying to remember the usernames and passwords, though, then remembering to tick the box to stay logged in.

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Sorry about that haha

Does your antivirus have a scheduled scan? Could've done this in the background and cleared some stuff up whilst doing it (lots do this now aswell as look for threats, as clearing cached stuff improves speed on your machine)

I wouldn't worry about Internet banking - although If It remembers your customer number or user name that may be forgotten now too. Altho banks shouldn't really be saving this in the same place as your average website.. For security reasons... Or they do and it'll be there but in a jumbled mess only your pc understands :)

Where you on 7 or 8 before?

I really like 10 because it's very similar to 7 - windows doesn't always make things easy for the user though, will admit that [emoji38][emoji38] x

I was on Windows 8 before and never had a problem with it. I kept getting Pop-ups asking if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 and I always declined. Then one morning I switched my PC on and Windows 10 was installed. I was furious ! It took me ages to get used to it and I still dont like it. Plus the antivirus I had been using on W8 did not work on W10 so I had to buy new antivirus :evil:

It has been suggested that I could uninstall W10 and re-install W8, but I dread to think what a pickle I'd get into trying to do that :shock:

Shimmer, thanks for posting. It really is a pain having to try to remember a load of Passwords. Infact most of them I cannot remember so I have had to re-set them on most sites.

I was on Windows 8 before and never had a problem with it. I kept getting Pop-ups asking if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 and I always declined. Then one morning I switched my PC on and Windows 10 was installed. I was furious ! It took me ages to get used to it and I still dont like it. Plus the antivirus I had been using on W8 did not work on W10 so I had to buy new antivirus :evil:

It has been suggested that I could uninstall W10 and re-install W8, but I dread to think what a pickle I'd get into trying to do that :shock:

Shimmer, thanks for posting. It really is a pain having to try to remember a load of Passwords. Infact most of them I cannot remember so I have had to re-set them on most sites.

Ohh yeaa it installed in the background I remember that [emoji38] yea a lot of people were confused about that. My grandad wouldn't have it and made me reinstall windows 7 for him [emoji38]

Technically 10 is much better than 8 - but it's what you get used and are happy using really! x

You techies speak a foreign language !! I do have antivirus, doesn't stop me getting hay fever though ;) :lol:

Are the issues on other websites also them signing you out? If so it sounds like something's cleared the cookies (yummy cookies!) the things sites leave on your computer so they know who you are. Have you cleared your history lately? I find when I clear history it tends to also clear my cookies which is very annoying!

I have this issue occasionally even on my phone. I think RU has a mind of it's own and just randomly dumps my login details! :lol:

I'm with you on the passwords. I have to change mine so often I doubt any hacker could keep up with me. (That was not a challenge! :? )

I was logged out too yesterday Jane, and lots of adverts appeared on the forum. I can't blame windows as I am on my iPad, after logging back in all seems fine now.

OK, now I am getting paranoid When I just submitted the post above this one I got a Pop-up window saying 'you are about to leave this site any changes made will not be saved' :? I have been a member of RU for 12 and a half years and I have never seen that message before :?

OK, now I am getting paranoid When I just submitted the post above this one I got a Pop-up window saying 'you are about to leave this site any changes made will not be saved' :? I have been a member of RU for 12 and a half years and I have never seen that message before :?
That's weird, I don't use the website enough to know... But that normally means you're leaving the Web page...

Do you use chrome? And have an add blocker installed? :)

That's weird, I don't use the website enough to know... But that normally means you're leaving the Web page...

Do you use chrome? And have an add blocker installed? :)

Yes to both, but why would that effect a post on RU ??

Yes to both, but why would that effect a post on RU ??
I wish I knew, does seem odd. Never seen it when I've used the website unfortunately.

Reason I asked about ad blocker was, I was wondering if it was just a pop-up.. Some still make it through some of the ad blockers - so could be that.. If you see it again take a screen shot? Or a photo? I might be able to tell you where it's from x

Did it look like this? (don't worry too much about the text more the appearance of the window)

072694b1bba5ed3c3dec53e8240322c5.jpg

Last edited:
Back