• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice regarding rabbits vet bills

Lucy544

New Kit
My rabbit had a mouth infection so she had to have surgery to remove one tooth, that cost £642 and now they want her to go go back and take the top two out as they just keep overgrowing. That’ll be another £200. Me and my partner are currently looking for work so don’t have the money to pay it. We do have insurance but they won’t pay out for mouth disorders. Has anyone been in this situation before?

I'm sorry your rabbit is poorly. It's a shame your insurance won't payout for mouth disorders, what company is it with? I work in a vets doing insurance, my own rabbits insurance is with PetPlan and dentals/mouth disorders are covered providing the rabbit has had a dental check up with a vet once a year and if there is anything noted treatment must be carried out straight away. Or is it pre-existing therefore won't be covered? Other policies have exclusions unless caused by an accident or underlying illness, in which case we (as the vets) usually write to the insurance/do our best to try and get it covered, not sure if that's a possibility?

If your rabbit is having lot's of problems with her front teeth (ie recurrent dentals) it would probably be best to have them removed as it would mean fewer costs to have them repeatedly trimmed/burred down and better for the rabbit overall. Are there any other vets in your area you could call for an estimate which may be cheaper?

It’s with petplan, and on my insurance it says they won’t pay out for mouth disorders. We got the insurance in October and she had the surgery end of November. But I’m not sure if it classes as pre existing as we took her to our local vet and they gave her antibiotics but I’m sure that was after we took the insurance out. She’s only 8 months old now so she had a check up at the vets and they checked her teeth and said they were fine, but we went back around a week later because they were overgrowing and she trimmed them down. Then we went to have them removed.

This is the closest one to us and as I don’t drive my dad has to take us and it’s around 30 mins each way anyway so not too close, other one is an hour ago so no way we could get there. He said this time round it won’t be as expensive as she doesn’t need xrays or loads of antibiotics and injections so should be around £200. But still so much for someone that doesn’t have an income. They are going to remove the top two next time from the root so that should be the end of the surgeries.

It’s with petplan, and on my insurance it says they won’t pay out for mouth disorders. We got the insurance in October and she had the surgery end of November. But I’m not sure if it classes as pre existing as we took her to our local vet and they gave her antibiotics but I’m sure that was after we took the insurance out. She’s only 8 months old now so she had a check up at the vets and they checked her teeth and said they were fine, but we went back around a week later because they were overgrowing and she trimmed them down. Then we went to have them removed.

This is the closest one to us and as I don’t drive my dad has to take us and it’s around 30 mins each way anyway so not too close, other one is an hour ago so no way we could get there. He said this time round it won’t be as expensive as she doesn’t need xrays or loads of antibiotics and injections so should be around £200. But still so much for someone that doesn’t have an income. They are going to remove the top two next time from the root so that should be the end of the surgeries.

If you are on certain means tested Benefits you should qualify for help with Vet fees via the PDSA

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

The RSPCA

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/care/financial

or the Blue Cross

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/my-pet-eligible-veterinary-treatment

I’ve called all of those but they said because I had the surgery at a different vet that they are unable to help with surgery costs

My Vet works with Klarna and I was able to finance an unplanned bill that way - I paid a deposit (set by me) and I will pay in instalments until the bill is cleared at 0% APR. It was quick and easy to apply, and the receptionist at the Vet surgery guided me through it. Maybe check if your Vet allows payment in instalments? I think they understand we don’t always have the cash ready but we want to do the best we can for our pets.

Also, best wishes for your little bun xx

My Vet works with Klarna and I was able to finance an unplanned bill that way - I paid a deposit (set by me) and I will pay in instalments until the bill is cleared at 0% APR. It was quick and easy to apply, and the receptionist at the Vet surgery guided me through it. Maybe check if your Vet allows payment in instalments? I think they understand we don’t always have the cash ready but we want to do the best we can for our pets.

Yes, I think a number of vets recognise that not everyone can afford to settle a large, unexpected, bill.
Not sure whether you have 'pestered' PetPlan, but certainly worth a try if you can establish dates.

I did ask my vet and he said I could do it in instalments but only 200 a month over 3 months. Me and my partner are looking for work so we really don’t have any money to pay for it. Then she needs more. Got appointment at vet to find out when that is but I asked before and he said around £200 plus more if antibiotics are needed. So that’s £800! 200 a month is still a lot if you’re not working

Yes, I think a number of vets recognise that not everyone can afford to settle a large, unexpected, bill.
Not sure whether you have 'pestered' PetPlan, but certainly worth a try if you can establish dates.

I have quite a few times and all they say is that mouth disorders aren’t covered in the plan so they have rejected it.

dear beau belle,-outstanding and-,you donot have to be an accountant to figure that this dvm cares about the animal,and your pocket book-just make the payments,and w/zero interest.-you do have to hold your breathe and hope nothing else comes up,but this is still great idea-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I'm always envious of people whose vets let them pay in installments. The amount of vet bills I've shelled out on over the years it would have made my life so much easier if I could do it in installments. But no vet I've ever spoken to in my area has ever let me.

Can you not take out a credit card?

I'm always envious of people whose vets let them pay in installments. The amount of vet bills I've shelled out on over the years it would have made my life so much easier if I could do it in installments. But no vet I've ever spoken to in my area has ever let me.

Can you not take out a credit card?

Yeah not a lot of vets do it. £200 is good a month normally but without working it’s a lot. We’ve never been fans of credit cards just never really wanted to get into it or rely on it

Yeah not a lot of vets do it. £200 is good a month normally but without working it’s a lot. We’ve never been fans of credit cards just never really wanted to get into it or rely on it

I think some people have an 'emergency' credit card which they don't touch unless it is an occasion something like this, when they have no other option. Unfortunately, though, in your position you would end up paying interest as you would be unable to settle the account in full by the due date.

Last edited:
No me neither I've never had one in my life. But there'll probably be a day when I need one and when needs must...

There's nothing wrong with having a credit card - sometimes it is much more convenient to use it for purchases. Its when people don't pay them that the trouble starts.

Yes I've just always got away with not having one really. But I'll probably end up getting one at one point.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Hi everyone thank you for your replies! We had a vet appointment today, the vet said he wants to take our her top teeth as they just keep overgrowing, should be around £200. But her mouth infection is back and on her bottom teeth so he doesn’t know if after the top are removed that it’ll work since the infection seems to be in the bottom. She’s back on antibiotics but he said it might be best putting her to sleep as she will probably have a life of mouth infections and mouth problems. She is 8 months old.

Oh no... That’s such a terrible thing to have to hear, I’m so sorry. Is the Vet Rabbit savvy?

I can’t offer advice but sending gentle nose rubs for bun and gentle (((Hugs))) for you xx

Oh no... That’s such a terrible thing to have to hear, I’m so sorry. Is the Vet Rabbit savvy?

I can’t offer advice but sending gentle nose rubs for bun and gentle (((Hugs))) for you xx

Yeah he is rabbit savvy, he did her sisters surgery twice and he’s done her surgery once on her teeth. So I do trust him, but looks like the problem is in her bottom teeth :(

Hi everyone thank you for your replies! We had a vet appointment today, the vet said he wants to take our her top teeth as they just keep overgrowing, should be around £200. But her mouth infection is back and on her bottom teeth so he doesn’t know if after the top are removed that it’ll work since the infection seems to be in the bottom. She’s back on antibiotics but he said it might be best putting her to sleep as she will probably have a life of mouth infections and mouth problems. She is 8 months old.

That sounds to be rather drastic. Personally I would seek a second opinion. Have any Dental Xrays been taken to assess just how bad the tooth root infection is ? It could well be that once all her Incisors (front teeth) are removed the current infection will not recur. It is impossible for a Vet to see the full situation without having taken any Dental Xrays. Rabbits can cope perfectly well without Incisors, they may just need their Veg cut up and have short cut hays.

I would strongly advise you to seek a second opinion before agreeing to PTS.

Back