• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfalfa Hay Or Timothy Hay?

I Am Almost Done Bonding My Rabbits! (Yay!) One Of Them Is About Six Or Seven Months Old, And The Other Is Fourteen Weeks Old. (Both Boys) The Youngest One (Little Bear) Is On Alfalfa Hay, And The Oldest (Ice Bear) Is On Timothy Hay... I Can Feel Ice Bear’s Backbone And Ribs, And I Would Really Like Him To Gain Some Weight! I Give Him Unlimited Timothy Hay And Some Veggies Everyday. When They Are In The Same Cage, Would They Have To Be On The Same Hay? Would Alfalfa Hay Be Safe For Ice Bear? Should I Mix The Two?

Thanks So Much!

- Kaylor

I would just give them 2 hay feeders and let them decide. If they both enjoy both, mix them. I would gradually reduce the alfalfa over time though, I don't think it's meant to be given to bunnies long term, as it's a bit too high in certain minerals and can cause problems later on.

Alfalfa is very high in calcium and shouldn't be fed long term. It's good for young bunnies but Timothy hay will be better long term. If your older rabbit is thin you may need to take him to the vet to make sure there's nothing underlying.

My Two Bunnies Are Successfully Bonded! They Love Each Other Sooo Much!! :love: They Are Both In The Same Cage Now, And I Have Decided To Fill One Hay Trough With Timothy Hay, And The Other With Alfalfa. At The Moment, The Rabbits Can Choose What They Want. I Am Planning Just To Do This For Another Month Or So, Then I Will Gradually Reduce To Only Timothy Hay... Little Bear Would Be A Little Over Five Months Old When I Completely Switch To Timothy. Should I Have Them On Alfalfa For A Longer Or Shorter Time?

Thanks So Much!

-Kaylor

My Two Bunnies Are Successfully Bonded! They Love Each Other Sooo Much!! :love: They Are Both In The Same Cage Now, And I Have Decided To Fill One Hay Trough With Timothy Hay, And The Other With Alfalfa. At The Moment, The Rabbits Can Choose What They Want. I Am Planning Just To Do This For Another Month Or So, Then I Will Gradually Reduce To Only Timothy Hay... Little Bear Would Be A Little Over Five Months Old When I Completely Switch To Timothy. Should I Have Them On Alfalfa For A Longer Or Shorter Time?

Thanks So Much!

-Kaylor
dear thescetchybunnies,--the change to timothy-[main staple]-[for little bear]-will take patience,not over night as stomach muscles lack [tonus]-introduce timothy slowly and you must observe both[bears]- poops,and compare.-alfalfa is a kin to clover and can be fed as a treat[not main staple],.--the pellets are digestive food source with vitamins-and yes-they are generally alfalfa pellets. remember 70%timothy/20%quality pellets,treats,lots of water.,-sincerely james waller from the ther kent-usa

Back