• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kale - Safe or Unsafe?

It is safe, although may cause gas in some rabbits. And it is fairly high in calcium, so no good for buns prone to bladder sludge :wave:

Kale is a brassica - same as cabbage - so use exactly the same as cabbage. It is OK for rabbits in general, though some are sensitive to it.

Introduce it slowly (like you would other foods to rabbits), I gave loads to Harvey and Lilly once, they loved it but Harvey was sensitive to it and it made him gassy (he went into stasis, I gave him gut stimulant as recommended by a vet, he released a lot of gas :shock: and slowly began eating again), Lilly on the other hand probably ate more of it than him and had no problems!

we have been giving kale to our resident rabbits and our boarding guests for years and no problems here . However they only really like it when its 1 day fresh , any older and they just wont eat it

It is safe, although may cause gas in some rabbits. And it is fairly high in calcium, so no good for buns prone to bladder sludge :wave:

Exactly what I was going to say. :thumb: My Spenser loves kale but is rarely given it. He seems to favour all the high calcium veggies. :roll:

Back