• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young Rabbit Feed Advice (soz - long one)

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie Folks

I've had to bite my tongue a little this week as on Sunday at 11.00 am my next door neighbour came round to advise they were going on holiday at 12.00 pm and would I look after their furry crew - which included 3 x hampster and a new addition to their family of a new bunny called Olli who is a lovely young male lop around 13 weeks old :love:

Having looked after their hampsters before during holidays and seeing the state of cages etc I'm a little worried for this bunnies care so rather than getting frustrated with these folks I feel the only way I can help is by keeping an "open door" and helping this bunster by trying to educate these folks with Olli's care.

I've already printed loads of info sheets of RU re care etc but wondered if anyone could give me some guidelines on feed - they are feeding him one of those multi mixes which also includes dried banana etc. (almost half a bowl full :!: ) which not sure if I've done the right thing but I've reduced this down as he was producing too much of the soft poo which kinda made me think his tum may be out of kilter and to encourage him to eat more hay - which he is now doing.
So I've reduced his food down to about a handful of mix - is that too little for him?????? - I've no idea what this food is it is just in a plain tub so their are no feed guidelines to go by.

When they get back I'm going to suggest it would be good to gradually change him to Science Selective and give them a bag to try.

This lovely lop was originally intended as a house bunn but these folks having brought him home and given him free range of the whole house which resulted in the obvious territory marking and pellets everywhere has now been relagated to a hutch outside. Again hopefully if I can keep my cool with these folks I'll try and explain that he will make a lovely house bunny given the time and patience to spend with him and train him.

Awwwwww - why do I think there may be trouble ahead :!: :!:

Any help with diet folks would be appreciated - sorry for the rant but just needed to blast off abit about it - but I'm sure enjoying bunny sitting this little guy :D :D

Young bunnies need free access to feed, but obviously the mix is a bad thing:( If you can educate them onto science selective that would be fab. They aren't going to want him to end up with *expensive* teeth problems are they?

It is always best to keep talking to people.

doorkeeper said:
Young bunnies need free access to feed, but obviously the mix is a bad thing:( If you can educate them onto science selective that would be fab. They aren't going to want him to end up with *expensive* teeth problems are they?

It is always best to keep talking to people.

Hiya Gal - hope your well - love the new Web Site by the way - way to Go matey :wink:

Can I just make sure I've got this right mate - (am I thick or what :roll: :!: ) - so Olli should have as much mix as he can eat then - is that right :?:

Back