• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Young animal enthusiast

Hello everyone.

I am Ryan, a 14 year old animal enthusiast. I keep many species ranging from fish to crabs, snakes, lizards and many others. I am generally in favour in providing naturalistic and enriching environments for animals and I am always willing to learn, something I am sure I need to do in regards to my rabbit. I digress, more on her later.

I began keeping animals around three years ago with some goldfish in a 12l tank. Needless to say this went terribly and I continued to try for a while. I began to do some research and realised the tank was too small, but even the upgrade wasn't much better. After goldfish I moved onto a temperate tank with assorted danios and a Chinese alage eater. This setup was, again, totally inadequate. Eventually I upgraded, rehomed those fish and started again properly. Since those early days I have had up to 6 tanks running at once, though I have 5 aquariums now.

It didn't take long before my passion for fishkeeping spread to other groups of animals. I began with snakes in January 2015 with a corn snake, Sid. I have since added a leopard gecko and greenish ratsnake to my little 'zoo'.

I also have various aquatic and terrestrial invertebrates ranging from crabs, crickets roaches and shrimp.

My stance on animal rights have changed considerably over these three years. I have always eaten meat and other animal products, being brought up this way and having no concerns with it. However four months ago I discovered veganism, and decided the next morning to change my diet: for the animals, myself and the planet.

I am very much a 'tree hugger' and have very high standards of animal welfare, although I am quite misanthropic too.

I have a decent understanding of taxonomy and the scientific parts of animal keeping are interesting to me too.

I have joined this forum to seek help in regards to the husbandry of my rabbit. She is really my sister's but she doesn't do anything with her and my parents do a lot of the work but honestly they are clueless with animal husbandry (and stubbornly refuse this fact).

I will write another detailed post going through her diet, housing etc tomorrow and include pictures because I have no specific questions but would like guidance on the husbandry in order to fully take responsibility for her.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Welcome to RU :wave: Sounds like you've got your hands full there with all those creatures :D Hope we can help with regards to your sisters rabbit.

Hi Ryan (my brother is called Ryan xD hehe).

Welcome to Rabbits United.

I am Ashleigh, I'm not vegan (I love chocolate too much) but I am vegetarian (I have been vegetarian since I was 9, I'm 21 now) and defiently a animal lover!

It sounds like you have quite a few pets and I can't wait to see the photos.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find it helpful for providing the best care for the animals.

I myself have two cats and a lionhead rabbit with my fiancee and a cat and dog at my Mum's. :love:
My finacee's Mum (My soon-to-be mother-in-law) has loads of cats, chickens, guinea pigs, a scorpian, two dogs and a snake, so we're used to lots of animals too! :lol:

Last edited:
Hi both, thanks for the warm welcome. I will get some pictures of the rabbit (her name is Biscuit, I forgot to mention) and her enclosure etc soon and start a new thread.

Welcome to the forum! I have fish tanks too as well as my two bunnies, and am super keen on fishy welfare as well as bunny!

Look forward to seeing photos of your bunny (and your fish tanks haha!)

Hi Ryan (my brother is called Ryan xD hehe).

Welcome to Rabbits United.

I am Ashleigh, I'm not vegan (I love chocolate too much) but I am vegetarian (I have been vegetarian since I was 9, I'm 21 now) and defiently a animal lover!

It sounds like you have quite a few pets and I can't wait to see the photos.

I hope you enjoy the forum and find it helpful for providing the best care for the animals.

I myself have two cats and a lionhead rabbit with my fiancee and a cat and dog at my Mum's. :love:
My finacee's Mum (My soon-to-be mother-in-law) has loads of cats, chickens, guinea pigs, a scorpian, two dogs and a snake, so we're used to lots of animals too! :lol:
Vegan chocolate is amazing.... [emoji6]

Vegan chocolate is amazing.... [emoji6]
I agree:
a71deda618dc9c4fa48b63d072e77aba.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I have fish tanks too as well as my two bunnies, and am super keen on fishy welfare as well as bunny!

Look forward to seeing photos of your bunny (and your fish tanks haha!)

Thanks!

I will definitely get some pictures of my various animals up tonight.

I was never a fan of lindor and Galaxy was OK, but I do miss lindt I admit.

Lindor Lindt is heaven to me hehe.

I love being Vegetarian and I completely respect Vegans, I think you're amazing to care about animals that much, I just could not be one myself.
I'm too much of a chocoholic and I love vanilla milkshakes :lol:
I am a true animal lover as well though xx

Back