• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW: Top 5 Rabbit Care Myths

rabbits are good pets. no, they aren't. though they are lovable family members.
rabbits can be litter trained. as long as your expectations aren't too high.
rabbits can live in your house. they can. but its their house.
its safe to let your rabbit 'kiss' you on the lips. getting away with it, even repeatedly, is not the same as being safe.
rabbits won't hump with the light on. oh yes they will.

Wow you made me laugh!
Yes it's definitely their house! All of it and if you let things lie about and it's ruined its your own stupid fault.
I have to disagree though, all of my buns kiss me..... not my husband though, they sometimes bite him ;)

- best one I have come across is that rabbits are 'used to being handled' therefore easy to pick up and 'child friendly' Ha, give them free range indoor living, picking up is a thing of the past.

- rabbits can live in a hutch in the garden with exercise when the weather is good. I will go take your rabbit from you......

- 'hypnotizing' a rabbit by lying it on it's back makes him easy to handle etc. and is "natural". Yeah scaring the living s*?> out of it is natural.

- bunnies can't be taught. Tell that to all of my buns, i'll teach them to go bite you!

The muesli and wood shavings issues aren't much of a myth to me, it's a horrible injustice and I can't believe nothing has been done already, we all need to rally against it!

Hmm, here's mine from my first bunny in the 80s: we were pretty clued up, and got some of it right (and some of it was true in the 80s because veterinary science wasn't as advanced) so come my research for Lopsy this is what has changed.

1.) Rabbits can't undergo surgery: it's too dangerous.
2.) Keeping rabbits alone is fine: they'll fight or mate otherwise.
3.) Muesli is acceptable and has more nutritional benefit than pellets (yes, I know!)
4.) Vaccinations are once-in-a-lifetime (I suppose that was our fault for not asking specifically!)
5.) Rabbits can be left for a few days: make sure their food/water is topped up and they'll be fine.

We were told by the pet shop we got Charlie from that they shouldn't be kept with guinea pigs because rabbits might hurt them. We also reckoned that the more run access he had the better he'd be (rabbits have 24/7 access to grass, why not pet ones?) and we got him the biggest hutch we could afford because, well, it just seemed fair! We were definitely the exception rather than the rule though: many of my friends' rabbits were in tiny 'breeder' hutches 24/7!

I wonder what 'normal and healthy' things we're doing now will be bad in 30 years time?!

Oh yes trancing :cry: I wish I'd known that was bad for them :cry: I used to cuddle all my rabbits on their backs and in my arms like a baby :oops: it was only finding RU that taught me not to do that. I had so many "cute" pictures of me and Cookie like that :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back