• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about hutch width

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hiya

I've always thought our hutch was nearly 6ft wide .... but on measuring it the other day, as its double layered (ie/ has an outer layer of wood then a slight gap and an inner layer, it works out that the actual inside measurement is actually just under 5ft wide.

Its a double decker however and is 2.5ft deep and they have 24 hr access to a run that is 5ft wide and 10ft long.

Here's some pics :

Photo0899.jpg

Photo0898.jpg

Now I'm worrying that its not wide enough ....... by my reckonings in total (including the run) they have 24 hour access to about 75 sq ft ..... so does it matter that the hutch isn't 6ft wide???

I personally don't think it matters as you've got the extra depth, it's two tier and you have the attached run. Do your buns like to spend time in the hutch or do they usually hang around in the run?

Thanks ..... they spend most of their time in the run ...... they only really go in the hutch to eat and have the odd snooze ..... the rest of the time they're out bombing around or napping outdoors!

We're extending upwards in a couple of weeks so that the run will be the same height as the hutch and the whole thing will have a proper roof on so I don't have to faff around with the tarp and worry about them sitting in the only uncovered part in the rain!!

At the moment its split into two (they started fighting but have since both been 'done'). I'm off next week and that's when they'll be bonded ..... whilst they're indoors being bonded, the run is having the revamp and of course the divider will be taken out!

Even with the hutch/run being divided, each bun has 24 hour access to 37.5 sq ft of area to themselves.... but the hutch width still troubles me! :?

Last edited:
OK thanks for your replies ........ feel a lot happier now! :D Jo x

(now I can concentrate on worrying about the bonding process instead)! :roll: LOL x

Back