• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whose bunnies turn their apple sticks over?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Not just eddy & boo but all my rabbits since I can remember only nibble the facing up side of their apple sticks. I bend down in awe of how diligently they've stripped every teeny bit of bark, yet when I go to pick it up, the other side is invariably untouched:lol:

How about your bunnies ??- are they clever & resourceful enough to chew the whole apple stick or ...are they needy like mine & require you to turn it over for them:lol:

Last edited:
Not just eddy & boo but all my rabbits since I can remember only nibble the facing up side of their apple sticks. I bend down in awe of how diligently they've stripped every teeny bit of bark, yet when I go to pick it up, the other side is invariably untouched:lol:

How about your bunnies ??- are they clever & resourceful enough to chew the whole apple stick or ...are they needy like mine & require you to turn it over for them:lol:

I would say that with my two it's about 50% of the time that I find the stick nibbled all the way round. I have never witnessed them turning it over intentionally though, so I suspect it has been done by accident. I particularly find that the all round nibbled sticks are the ones that I find early morning, ie after they've had them in the shed overnight. Froe, particularly likes to throw them, so it's going to be pure chance which side they land on :)

Everybun except Lopsy has been seen to attempt this: Barrie might just do it by accident but he's stripping the bark right down to the ground with a vengeance so it tends to flip the stick. Aboleth and Chibbs throw them, as much as possible.

I would say that with my two it's about 50% of the time that I find the stick nibbled all the way round. I have never witnessed them turning it over intentionally though, so I suspect it has been done by accident. I particularly find that the all round nibbled sticks are the ones that I find early morning, ie after they've had them in the shed overnight. Froe, particularly likes to throw them, so it's going to be pure chance which side they land on :)

This is a heartening reply...so if it wasn't for Froe chucking things they are pretty much the same. I am pleased Eddy doesn't chuck stuff cos of Booblys unseeing eyes

keletkezes;7347306[B said:
]Everybun except Lopsy has been seen to attempt this[/B]: Barrie might just do it by accident but he's stripping the bark right down to the ground with a vengeance so it tends to flip the stick. Aboleth and Chibbs throw them, as much as possible.

Get you & your clever bunnies (except lovable out to lunch Lopsy)

If I put anything down for the bunnies like an apple core Booboo would be the first to grab it and run off with it while the other bunnies chase him around the place. I normally have to cut any treats into sections so that each bunny has a fare share.

Haha Cookie doesn't even touch the apple sticks, he's just interested in the willow branches :D

If I put anything down for the bunnies like an apple core Booboo would be the first to grab it and run off with it while the other bunnies chase him around the place. I normally have to cut any treats into sections so that each bunny has a fare share.

ha ha,yes. all my bunnies run off if any prized food comes their way. Eddy even does it when he finds an extra stalky bit of hay:lol:

Haha Cookie doesn't even touch the apple sticks, he's just interested in the willow branches :D

aww Cookie doesn't like apple but he'll have extra willow instead :love: at least the boy knows what he likes

ha ha,yes. all my bunnies run off if any prized food comes their way. Eddy even does it when he finds an extra stalky bit of hay:lol:

aww Cookie doesn't like apple but he'll have extra willow instead :love: at least the boy knows what he likes

All spoiled gourmets :lol:

Judging by the amount of apple sticks in my living room that still have the bark on one side, I'm guessing they're as skilled as Eddy and Boo at turning them over. :lol: They might get a fresh apple stick today, though, so if they do I'll report back.

Judging by the amount of apple sticks in my living room that still have the bark on one side, I'm guessing they're as skilled as Eddy and Boo at turning them over. :lol: They might get a fresh apple stick today, though, so if they do I'll report back.

yay! cos I know Sophie is clever so if she can't (or doesn't want to) turn over her sticks, then i expect most bunnies won't either

Atticus does! I would say tho he's the smartest rabbit ive ever met [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

It's been ages since I got apple sticks for my buns. I'm not sure Scipio's even tried them. I need to rectify that, toot sweet!

Fudgie and Snoopy were odd with them though. I'd put a few down and some would be completely stripped bare (both sides) but the others would be left untouched. I guess there was something not right with them, but I have no idea what it was!

Speaking of clever buns, Scrappy had had her incisors removed but she came up with a pretty innovative way of eating fibre first sticks. She'd hold it in her mouth like a cigar and would gently tap the end on the floor to "feed" it in to her molars.

yay! cos I know Sophie is clever so if she can't (or doesn't want to) turn over her sticks, then i expect most bunnies won't either
She is normally very clever when it comes to getting as much food as possible, it's true. They got a new apple stick today, but they're still working on the leaves and haven't started stripping the bark yet.

Speaking of clever buns, Scrappy had had her incisors removed but she came up with a pretty innovative way of eating fibre first sticks. She'd hold it in her mouth like a cigar and would gently tap the end on the floor to "feed" it in to her molars.
That is so clever. :love:

It's been ages since I got apple sticks for my buns. I'm not sure Scipio's even tried them. I need to rectify that, toot sweet!

Fudgie and Snoopy were odd with them though. I'd put a few down and some would be completely stripped bare (both sides) but the others would be left untouched. I guess there was something not right with them, but I have no idea what it was!

you certainly do need to make it right - get that boy some sticks :lol: That is a very sweet story about Scrappy:love:

Clever scrappy! She must have looked very cute.

Hugs!

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm here to report that the apple branch they got a few days ago is white on one side and brown on the other, so it doesn't seem like they flipped it over. However, I did see Sophie flip over a smaller stick a few days ago, so maybe it has something so to do with the size, because the branch they got a few days ago was fairly long.

Back