• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of this treatment plan

Martin7

Warren Scout
My bun was in stasis and not eating due to a sudden dental requiring tooth extraction, he was also moulting VERY heavily at the time and vet said he's got fur in his cecum (he's still not 100%) but we seem to be doing better.

He's eating enthuisiastically on his own, and mostly active, still gets excited for treats, and cheeky though still not fully himself.. and isn't really flopping as much as he used to and sometimes just looks fed up, his poops seem to be getting slightly better each day, though some days, they are small, then the next almost normal, then the next small again, then sometimes a mixed batch with normal and small etc..then some are almost pear shaped with a little pointy bit, then a small batch of golden ones, then small, then golden and small.. seem very sporadic but the frequency seems to be increasing.

At the moment, I'm trying to treat him at home as much as possible..because he gets sooo stressed out by vets, he hyperventilates..

He's having:

Diet:

Pro Fiber Pellets (main diet as he can't eat hay)
Spring Greens with extra water added
Kale
Bramble Leaves
Plantain
Small amount of mashed carrot with Proboitic powder mixed in (to add some goodness to the carrot), and dentinox too when he has gas (though strangely doesn't seem to suffer gas much)

Metacam when required
Zantac with the metacam

40ML Sub-Q fluids daily...

I realised he hasn't been wormed for about 10 months, so wondering if I should start him on panacur too just to get rid of any nasties that might be stealing his nutrients etc.

The vet did give him a shot of metaclopromide and gave me a bottle of metaclopromide but that's all gone now

Is there anything else I can do, . it's been nearly 3 weeks now, but I guess it take a while for them to fully get back to normal.

Thanks

Martin

:wave: Kale is high in calcium so should not be fed every day. I usually feed mine with spring cabbage on a daily basis and have not had bladder sludge issues with that and a variety of herbs/hawthorn/bramble each day.

If he is non-hay eating I would definitely try to get him onto the Bunny Basics as it is timothy hay based (if you want some more to tempt him before you buy a bag just let me know and I can send you some). I think the pro-fibre may have sugar added so should only be used as "treats" or to supplement when not well. Carrots are full of sugar too so should not be given on a daily basis.

You could also try him with a bowl of water with a dash of boiling added to make it "tepid", mine tend to drink more when it is like this and helps to keep them hydrated and things moving ;)

Good advice from bunny babe. :thumb: My Spenser loved kale, but I took him off it because of the calcium content. If you have strawberry plants the leaves are good for rabbits to eat. If you introduce spring cabbage just give a little first time as some rabbits don't digest it so well. They seem to have such complicated insides!

Thanks for the replies:)

I will cut down his kale, though he tends to go for the spring greens mostly....

When you say the pro fiber has sugar in it, do you mean the pellets or the powder probiotic-C stuff?.. sugar?::O nooooo

and yeah, he only has a tiny tiny amount of carrot, but really because it's an easy way to get some of the meds in him, he will eat them in carrot and I figured it might be a little extra water too, but like you said, they have high sugar....hmmm

hmm, so seems he's still getting quite a bit of sugar.. (need to cut that out)

and yeah, still trying to get him into the BB.. but he doesnt seem keen:s..

your right about their tums being complicated.. sheesh!.. theyre soo fusy too which kinda adds to it..

Thank You

M

Oh yeah, I just looked up the composition...

Composition:
Wheat feed, Soya bean hulls, Oat feed, Wheat bran, Grass meal, Sugar beet pulp, Brewers' yeast, Linseed, Cellulose, Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide)

Damm!.. not sure what to do now, now wonder he's been prefering those to science selective.. but his poops seem to be improving since he just been eating the pro fiber..

hmm... maybe put him back on SS, but just sprinkle some Pro fiber on them, so he's not getting as much..

Pro fibre pellets, not 100% sure if it has sugar but having a feeling it may. It comes in scoops so I guess a scoop a day is OK, think I sent you about 3 scoops if that gives you an idea for the pellets.

As I mentioned, mine didn't like BB at first but came to love them and my non-hay eating bun had lovely golden poops within a few days. Just let me know if you need any more before buying any, I have a full 4.5kg bag only just opened ;)

If you have to use the carrot to get the meds in then just try to make sure it is not too big a piece ;)

Try to see if you can find some hawthorn as that is supposed to be good for tums - you have your foraging outfit now so no excuses :lol:

One of the main things though is the water so do try a bowl rather than a bottle (if you don' already have this) and tepid.

I am sure someone on here did feed one of their buns pro-fibre all the time due to tummy probs. I tend to give it as either treats or sprinke a bit over their food.

Glad he is enjoying them :lol: Just like my Homer did:

phone-sanjan2012209.jpg

Spenser loves pro-fibre above SS, but I mix the two. It does take a bit of experimenting to find the best diet for each bunny. To be honest, I don't think the pro-fibre has greatly improved his poo, but he certainly approves of it.

haha great pic! and , you know I just realised how much sugar seems to be in everything.. why do they have to put sugar in everything.. pffT.. though some are more natural ones I guess.

And yeah, I really want to get him onto BB.. for sure.. gonna try EVERYTHING!.. Thank You.. taken it on board and going to adjust his diet accordingly!..

:) Thanks

Sorry about the pic, but I figured most of us are probably used to looking at rabbit poop now.. but last week there was nothing coming out ,just odd piles of mush.. and this is his latest batch kind of where we seem to be at now, but theyre's quite a selection, not sure theyre that black, i think it was the flash, and he uses a tray I just tipped them on to a blanket he had when things were a bit mushy (before I chuck it)

poops.jpg

I dont have much to add about his diet, although I think Supreme's Fibafirst and their Vetcare Digestive are higher in fibre than Bunny Basics, but just wanted to say that I think the sugar in the profibre pellets is the prebiotic, so it feeds the good bacteria in his gut. They are fine to give every day, my two are on them everyday under vet advice, the packet does say you can free feed them, although I dont personally as then they dont eat their hay.

Have you tried using fibreplex as well?

Thanks for the link, That looks interesting... might try that it says monofood, which I guess covers most things (kinda) well.. sort of. buns are buns..

I would like him still to eat the timothy pellets though

and fibreplex sends him crazy the minute he gets a whiff of that, hes gone..and hides... he hates the stuff:S... he's always been very fussy. hates anything fruit, or most of the stuff buns are supposed to like, I wonder what determines theyre tastes and preferences for things..

Thanks for the link, That looks interesting... might try that it says monofood, which I guess covers most things (kinda) well.. sort of. buns are buns..

I would like him still to eat the timothy pellets though

and fibreplex sends him crazy the minute he gets a whiff of that, hes gone..and hides... he hates the stuff:S... he's always been very fussy. hates anything fruit, or most of the stuff buns are supposed to like, I wonder what determines theyre tastes and preferences for things..

Supreme told me that the monoforage format is meant to help increase dental wear, making them ideal for rabbits that cant or wont eat hay.

Back