• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What diet do you feed your rabbits?

guest12345

Young Bun
Hi everyone,
I'm giving my rabbit an egg cup of pellets and unlimited hay (so 90% hay, 3% pellets and 8% vegetables)
which will be a cup full of veg per day... but I'm struggling with what vegetables I should buy for my rabbit.
Please note my rabbit recently had GI stasis so I don't want to give him anything that will cause gas. His poops are misshapen, so not circle yet and dry yet so I think I'm still doing something wrong...:(

We decided a few days after the vets we would slowly start giving him some curly kale and broad beans because I read they were good however I found out curly kale has lots of calcium in and the beans can cause gas.
(I suppose I could give him one 'gas' veg in small amounts as he isn't a sensitive bun...maybe broccoli? we always have that in the fridge)

I'm thinking I'll still give him the kale as a little calcium won't be a problem... but I'll cut down and introduce something else. I might introduce a little amount of herbs... But what else? I'm stuck.

So yeah, what specific vegetables combined do you give you rabbit (if any)? And any tips for me? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi, similar to others, I don't give my rabbits vegetables anymore, and instead give herbs. There are lots of different ones rabbits like; mint, corriander, basil, dill and parsley. And also give a handful of grass. with some dandelions, unless your bunnies already have access to grass. :)

I give my rabbits a small amount of dry food, possibly less than an eggcup full, lots of hay and a tiny amount of Spring Greens. You can also give tiny bits of Brocolli, Kale, Carrot, dark green Cabbage. Herbs are gentler on the rabbit's digestive system than veg. You can also give him Readigrass in small amounts as most rabbits love that.

Mine get hay (obviously), grass, dried herbs (for supper), a small amount of muesli for breakfast (although I think this will cease once their current supply has ended), fibafirst sticks (4 each a day, 2 morning and night), and Burgess Excel pellets. Thumper has stasis very frequently so they do not have any vegetables at all to try and reduce this.

Mine have quite a lot of forage: it's free and can be gathered 24/7 :) Lopsy's fussy about vegetables (though he likes sprouts but they don't agree with him) but they get celery ends and carrot peelings through Summer as that's when I have those vegetables.

Excel pellets, dandelion heads & leaves, romaine lettuce leaves, fibafirst sticks & sometimes bits of broccoli & apple.

Grass and hay in the morning.

Hay and Harringtons pellets mixed with rabbit royale muesli (handful per rabbit) in the evening.

Forage at random times when I go and pick it.

Occasional fresh herbs and the odd bit of spring greens or lettuce.

I give my buns lots and lots of hay, grass and forage... mainly dandelion, willow, bramble, hazel, apple leaves, and ash, as that's what I have free access too.

In the mornings they have an egg-cup of burgess pellets each.. with grass and hay.
Later in the day they have the forage, and I often give herbs... mainly fresh coriander and fenugreek... and I top up the hay x

I tend not to vary toooo much from this, as it suits them well ( learnt through trial and error ) and there is plenty of variety there.

I don't feed vegetables :) X

Last edited:
I feed my buns unlimited hay, a small cup of pellets and veggies. Sometimes I give them forage. They also get the occasional apple or banana treat! ;)

My quad get unlimited hay (normally timothy, rye and meadow) and two large piles of forage or grass and one large grape tub of green veg and herbs split over two feeds plus a grape tub of readigrass or treat hay (green oat or botanical hay normally) and a handful of excel pellets once a day. They also get a treat such as a fenugreek crunchie once a day.

It surprises me how many people don't feed veg. I try to feed a wide as variety of rabbit safe veg as possible the same with forage and also hay.

Last edited:
I feed an egg cup of burgess excel, unlimited hay - a mixture of at least two varieties, fresh grass, forage including dandelion, bramble, plantain, hawthorn, rose, clover, sticky weed and willow. Occasional herbs and veg including mint, parsley, rosemary, basil, kale, spring greens, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, rocket, spinach and carrot tops.

I tend to feed forage in spring and summer and veg and herbs in winter. This year I've dried loads of dandelion, plantain and willow and am also going to dry some hawthorn ready for winter.

I also feed readigrass in winter.

Science selective pellets, a handful in the morning and at night (only due to their giant status!)
Spring greens once a day and carrot tops in the morning every other day, sometimes romaine lettuce and herbs.
Lots of fresh hay and readigrass which is always available to them - and fresh grass because they go outside a lot.
Sometimes they have fibafirst but only when I buy it, and then again its only 1 broken up stick a day otherwise they waste it!

Back