• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight gain advice?

Hazel is a female continental giant who had just turned 1 year old.
She has been steadily putting on weight since she was 'tiny' and now weighs round about 6kg give or take.
Her weight is monitored weekly and she only fluctuates by 0.2g either way each week.
She is perfectly healthy- exotic trained rabbit savvy vet says there are no issues with her health other than the rabbit version of 'hayfever' (not pasturella just pollen allergies).

She is fed unlimited meadow and Timothy hay, Supreme Science selective pellets and a handful of kale/spring greens other green veggies every day.
About 3 times a week I give them either a small portion of fruit or some carrot or pepper.

Despite all of this she feels skinny to the touch- although you can't see them, her spine and ribs are easily felt and she has almost no fat on her. Looking a her she is about a 2 on the body condition score.
She is very active and often prefers to stay out in her run than go inside their shed (her choice as they are connected 24/7).
Her bonded partner (a dwarf mixed breed) is fed the same diet on a smaller scale and is a perfect 3 on the body condition score.

She isn't losing weight and as aforementioned she has no digestive, dental or other health problems. They are both regularly wormed with panacur so this isn't an issue either.

I am looking for some advice on how to healthily bulk her up a bit so she has 'a bit of meat on her' for want of a better term.
However if I am being a paranoid bunny mum and people with continental Giants feel that their buns do tend to be a bit on the skinny side let me know!

Thankyou if you manage to read all of this!

Well, Contis are definitely lean bunnies rather than sort of "squidgy" if you know what I mean. 6 kg isn't abnormal for a Conti either.

Hector regulates his own diet quite well; he quite often only eats part of what is there and leaves the rest for later (although he does actually only get a certain amount per day). He's just under 9 kg but a big boy!!

I think the best way to tell is whether you can feel her spine and/or ribs. If so, she's a bit under weight. You could try a bit of fibre-first or pro-fibre or a bit of extra forage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Contis are definitely lean bunnies rather than sort of "squidgy" if you know what I mean. 6 kg isn't abnormal for a Conti either.

Hector regulates his own diet quite well; he quite often only eats part of what is there and leaves the rest for later (although he does actually only get a certain amount per day). He's just under 9 kg but a big boy!!

I think the best way to tell is whether you can feel her spine and/or ribs. If so, she's a bit under weight. You could try a bit of fibre-first or pro-fibre or a bit of extra forage :)

I can feel them which is why I am worried! Could you possibly link me a photo of the products you mentioned so I know what to look for?
Thankyou for your advice!

Fibafirst -

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...t-rabbit-2kg?gclid=CMDu_OaPpsUCFWfmwgodvkkAjw

(Sorry for p@h link!)

Pro-fibre -

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-profibre-for-rabbits-800g.html

Forage -

Galens Gardens does great dried forage or head out into the garden!

https://galensgarden.co.uk

Oh' I actually already have some Fiba First I just didn't realise that was what it was called! I use it as a treat so maybe I'll just give it a bit more often for now.
Definitely going to buy more forage- they love the stuff but again I was giving it only as an occasional treat :S

Thankyou so much for your help! I'll try and make an update soon x

I give Hector unlimited forage (although he doesn't DO hay so it's fine as I won't put him off by doing so). :)

Back